fiduciary

Author Topic: Customized Negociator (updates !)  (Read 9758 times)

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
Customized Negociator (updates !)
« on: October 20, 2009, 11:23:59 PM »
Hi everyone ! Just like for the graflex chassis, I requested this time again a sort of kit for the negociator I've been lucky to put my hands on !
Being "a little bit busy" with the CF batch, I wanted to keep on gathering cool items for my collection but also to customize it.

The kit was very easy to install with the detailed pics yoda sent me. Just a little bit hard to shove the whole electronic guts inside. The whole saber is made of polished and anodized aluminium, the finish is just awesome !

First a little family picture, with the obiwan I machined back in mid 2006 on top.

The crown emitter, with the almost invisible aux button

The now famous tangible crystal chamber. It's fantastic, I mean, so close to the things you can see in the SW visual dictionnary, the look and feel is at the same time vintage and modern. Note the little gears that initially triggered my will to customize the beast. I've added a micro motor with an integrated reductor to get enough torque to drive the 2 gears. I initially tried with various kind of micro motor, either R/C oriented or pager motors, but I needed more torque. The motor was glued in place with an epoxy putty base and JB weld to finalize the installation and garanty it won't move (the gears aligment is critical). The motor was wired just like my usual rumbling motor installations, with a 2k multiturn potentiometer / trimmer to adjust the speed. Power is taken from the luxeon output of the Crystal Focus board. While it's mirroring the luxeon behavior in theory, the reducer of course filters that, so the speed remains constant.
I'll probably fine tune a little bit the default sound & config package Yoda uses in his sabers but honnestly, the CF setup he made with Novastar is just great, especially the use of the accent led blinking sequencer to simulate the crystal activity ! Yoda's sabers aren't the only ones, but I'll mention they really use ALL the features provided by CF ! (except maybe the vibration motors, until of course I add my 2 cents with this "working" crystal chamber  ;) )

A little video so that you can see the gears moving :
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=U7sf4sJyNr8

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
Re: Customized Negociator (updates !)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 11:31:43 PM »
The details are amazing!
Splendid work! I am in awe!

So much going on in that hilt! You make every little bit of space count!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 11:36:29 PM by CHEWBACCA »

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
you're too fast. It's actually something "old" but I'm posting it again so that I show the updates I've done recently. I'm still typing the post lol.
thanks for warm words ! (indeed it's VERY tight in there)

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 12:30:18 AM »
[Some upgrade - 15/10/2009 ]
now the lab is fully operational again... I though it was time to upgrade that one a bit. The FACTS convention is always a good excuse to bring something new.
I hear you guys... it's like "what ? You st00pid touching UP AGAIN a Master Yoda hilt ???". Whoooopppss  ;D

First point : the batteries. I know yoda has to provide a system allowing the user to remove the batteries but I got tired of inserting a piece of paper on the back spring of the batt holder to prevent the batteries from depleting and I'm not a big fan of removing batteries. I though about adding a recharge port hidden inside without modifying the existing battery setup and finally decided to make a battery pack and completely remove the holder. The 2 ultrafire (16340) were then assembled as a pack.

then, once you get a battery pack you need a recharge port. I didn't want to touch the pommel, drill a hole in the back of it.
Using this time a 1.3 mm recharge port hidden in the hole of the headless screw that was retaining the 3 pommel parts.
First of all, some machining was required for the port and the wires.

Since the headless screw is gone, I needed another one to retain the pommel parts. I used a smaller, black M3 one. Well actually, I have one (you can't see) securing the batt pack, the pommel center part and the cube ring, then another one (black) securing the rounded top to the cube ring.

Then I made a simple adapter for my 2.1mm plug

Then time for a little killkey made of a piece of plastic (an airsoft barrel cleaning rod I think), I decorated the top of it with the dome of a bullet shaped red LED and some epoxy.
Another problematic point was accessing the tangible crystal chamber without the risk of having the pommel falling apart since when you remove the covertec, the sleeve and the pommel come loose.
Hence : a thin piece of thermal tape on the pommel area that goes in the hilt so that it's partially stuck and won't go away by itself. Second, I JBWELDed  the screw and the spacer in the covertec so that it's like a thumb screw. Now demonstrating the crystal chamber is as easy as removing the covertec and you're done.

Show time. I also wanted to have a nice emitter plug. Since you want the light to shine thru, I couldn't get an accurate look. Well, if you look carefully you'll see this is a TPM saber... with an AOTC cube ring (I do have the TMP part too). I wanted this UFO to be something in between ep I and II even if it's not accurate.
For the blade emitter I used a piece of the diffusing rod that went with the light umbrella I got off ebay. Then I machined little part and epoxied the rod inside. Simple but it looks good IMO.

now that's a saber I'm not afraid to show / demonstrate etc !

~from Chewbacca
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 08:06:26 AM by erv »

Offline Jedi Yar Nala

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 01:06:04 AM »
Wow... great updates to an already GREAT saber... LOVE the look of your crystal chamber :)

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 01:10:19 AM »
can i post now? Are the updates all done? :D :D

AMAZING!
The recharge port is, ......heck, ....I dont even have words to express how cool that is.

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 01:14:06 AM »
indeed you can post now. I'm a slow typer and I was also reading other forums at the same time  ;)
glad you like it. The recharge port was like .... stressing to make. Who wants to rework this sort of anodised & polished parts... :o
Ended fine except a very tiny dent on the side of a cube, I needed to drill a 1.5 mm hole for an invisible retention screw for the recharge port and it was impossible to drill properly without changing a bit the drilling angle, so I ate like .5mm on the side of the cube. No one will see it except me :-)

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 02:27:56 AM »
I like the recharge port erv!  Very slick! Oh,  and I made the pictures clickable for the full size images!

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 02:34:20 AM »
And I added a Banana riding a Llama, because I think he's pretty cool!
you can have him.

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
  • A Knight of the Old Republic
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 02:49:21 AM »
 :o So cool!
Can you do that to mine? ;D

Offline Amptrooper

• Master Force User
  • Imperial Royal Arms SaberSmith AmpTrooper Sabers
    • Imperial Royal Arms
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 04:01:26 AM »
This has turned out be one amazing saber! Great spot for the recharge port. Heck, great spot for everything!
The crystal chamber is awesome! You have shown us how to perfect perfection! ;D  ;)

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 04:03:20 AM »
I like the recharge port erv!  Very slick! Oh,  and I made the pictures clickable for the full size images!

thanks. At least I know how it's done. I tried to insert the url thing but the wrong way. Knowledge point ++

Chewie, thanks for the banana, I was hungry. The llama is on the barbecue right now. Time to eat

Offline STARKILLER

• Lord of the Strings
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • VADER's VAULT MFG
    • Vaders Vault
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 06:03:31 AM »
Very slick Erv. Bonus points for having the brass ones to not only go to town on that nice hilt, but to also take apart the perfection you smacked it with last time.

Offline Wolfen

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 07:47:34 AM »
Absolutely stunning. More great work from the man who butters toast.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"-Ben Franklin

Offline CybKnight

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 09:19:33 AM »
Dude, that saber is functional art. Wish my Negotiator was made like that...
CybKnight - Saber fanatic
---------------------------------------------------------
--=Sabers=--
---------------------------
AwesomeSauce X11000 #17 & 18
VV Starkiller run 2 #17
SC/VV Qui-gon TPM
Orbital Machining Obi TPM #3
Yoda's Graflex V 2010 version
Yoda's Obi Wan TPM Negotiator #2
Yoda's Qui Gon TPM Ambassador #1
JSS Starkiller
Many, many MR sabers.
Multiple MHS parts and hilts for future projects.

retrousse