fiduciary

Author Topic: Crystal Shard build experiencing trouble  (Read 654 times)

Offline etcstevebruce

• No Force
Crystal Shard build experiencing trouble
« on: July 10, 2020, 11:14:16 PM »
Hello,
Today I attempted my first build with a used Crystal Shard v4.5 that I bought second-hand; and I am experiencing trouble.

For this saber I installed 2 illuminated AV switches, an in-hilt recharge port, RGB LED, bass speaker, and single 18650 battery.  When I powered the lightsaber on, the Red and Green LED's are on constantly and the switches blink twice, go dark for a second, then blink twice again.  The saber responds to the switches (blaster sounds, lockup sound, bootup and shudown sounds) except that the red and green led's are always on and the switches blink.  Swing and Clash sounds respond correctly.  In order to turn the led's off I have to either insert a kill key or remove the battery.  The switches are illuminated, and their LED's are powered via the middle "accent" pad, and return to the switches ground (the switches are not utilizing resistors).  My main LED's have resistors: 0.3 Ohm (1W) on Blue and Green, 1.5 Ohm (1W) on Red.  I have successfully used these resistor values on other Plecter Labs soundcards with success.

I have removed, cleaned the pads, and re-soldered the LED and power wires (both to the battery and to the board) with no luck.  The LED's and switch LED's all worked fine when tested before assembly.

Hopefully there is an oversight on my part, and not a fried board or driver circuit...  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
A U.S. Navy submarine Electronics Technician turned lightsaber enthusiast!

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
Re: Crystal Shard build experiencing trouble
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 11:28:07 PM »
the accent led are controlled by the sequencer (leds.txt). Not using resistors, even on accent, is the cause of so many fail and issues.

for the HB leds on : either your led isn't wired correctly, or the board you bought has defective drivers on those channels.

Offline etcstevebruce

• No Force
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 11:41:53 PM »
Thank you for your prompt response, Erv.  It is very impressive that you personally answer questions about your product.

Do you know what would cause the switch led's to blink like they are?  They flash twice, are off for a second (or so), and repeat this until power is removed.

Tomorrow I will lift the switch LED wires and re-power the saber to see if that is the culprit.  I will also add resistors if I decide to keep them illuminated.

Thank you again, Erv.  Your customers appreciate your dedication!

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 11:44:39 PM »
the accent leds are controlled by the sequencer (leds.txt).

Offline etcstevebruce

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 03:02:34 PM »
Well, bad news.  I de-soldered the main LED wires, cleaned the pads, and then touched the wires to the pads while the saber was off.  The Red and Green pads have power, only the Blue pad was not being driven.

It looks to be a bad driver.  What is the prognosis?  Is a bad driver (or two bad drivers) repairable, or is the board "toast" (pun intended, lol)?  If the board is finished, I will likely purchase a Crystal Focus X; they cost less than what I paid for the Crystal Shard  :huh:

On a happier note, I was able to take the components and build my third Pico Crumble lightsaber (Light Sound!).  So, not a total loss.

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 12:55:52 AM »
you can replace the drivers with Si2302, or equivalent. An easy job

Offline etcstevebruce

• No Force
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 01:06:44 PM »
I have ordered new drivers.  Hopefully I can replace next weekend.
I think I found the culprit.  There is a driver on the back of the card with a solder-bridge and flux residue around it.  Looks like the previous owner may have attempted a repair using too much solder.  I will learn from their lesson and solder lightly. 
Thank you, Erv.  I appreciate all of your help.

retrousse