fiduciary

Author Topic: Very bright LED with 777 Lumen - Cree XP-G3  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Michael Darkstar

• No Force
  • May the force be with you
Very bright LED with 777 Lumen - Cree XP-G3
« on: January 20, 2018, 02:57:22 AM »
I have been looking at the manufacturers specs on the Cree XP-G3. XLamp XP-G3 LEDs | Cree LED Components

This is a 6W LED that has a maximum light output of 777 Lumen but my question is... is a 3.7V Lithium battery capable of supplying this LED with enough current?

And this is a single LED where the only options are Royal Blue or White but as I said... it's 777 Lumen!  :smiley:

And by using the White LED and by using colored discs you could change the color to any that you want.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 04:28:24 AM by Michael Darkstar »

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: Very bright LED with 777 Lumen - Cree XP-G3
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 05:01:16 AM »
The short answer is yes, the more accurate answer is it depends on the situation. 6w would only be about 1.5amps output from 3.7v cell. But 6w could also mean 12v@0.5a

What is the forwarding voltage of the LED? I know the G2 cool white is something like 3.3v@3a which would be 10w.

Offline Michael Darkstar

• No Force
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 05:08:30 AM »
Typical Forward Voltage:   2.73V White @ 350mA
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 05:11:00 AM by Michael Darkstar »

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 08:24:01 AM »

In my previous reply I should have been more clear..
The math is pretty easy:  P = V x I
A 10amp capable battery can put out about 40w, however the power (watts) is more less irrelevant. The current (amps) and voltage are what matters.  If the LED requirements are equal to or less than the parameters of the battery then it will work, you'll just need to calculate your resistor values with Ohm's law (V = I x R).

"typical" isn't the value you want, you will be running your LED at the maximum values.

Offline Michael Darkstar

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 08:49:59 AM »

In my previous reply I should have been more clear..
The math is pretty easy:  P = V x I
A 10amp capable battery can put out about 40w, however the power (watts) is more less irrelevant. The current (amps) and voltage are what matters.  If the LED requirements are equal to or less than the parameters of the battery then it will work, you'll just need to calculate your resistor values with Ohm's law (V = I x R).

"typical" isn't the value you want, you will be running your LED at the maximum values.

In that case it will surely exceed the 3.7V of a 18650 Lithium battery and that probably explains why this LED isn't used in lightsabers.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 04:32:57 PM »
I don't think you are following... You can very definitely run this on an 18650. Max current is 2A at (presumably) 3v. This is well within parameters. Even 3 will be fine on a 10a protected cell.

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 04:44:23 PM »
I have been looking at the manufacturers specs on the Cree XP-G3 LED.

This is a 6W LED that has a maximum light output of 777 Lumen but my question is... is a 3.7V Lithium battery capable of supplying this LED with enough current?

The right 18650 probably could. However, it's not currently used for other reasons. The largest one is the fact that it only comes in a total of 2 colors, one of which is White.

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline Michael Darkstar

• No Force
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 07:22:42 PM »

The right 18650 probably could. However, it's not currently used for other reasons. The largest one is the fact that it only comes in a total of 2 colors, one of which is White.

And the other is Blue which is the original lightsaber color so the Cree XP-G3 could be an interesting choice for those who only wants Blue and no flash on clash but what they will have is a maximum light output of 777 Lumen.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 01:41:23 AM by Michael Darkstar »

Offline Michael Darkstar

• No Force
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 03:48:50 AM »

I see and regarding the 6W power draw... using the Igniter 3 soundboard with two 18650 batteries would probably be best.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 03:53:20 AM by Michael Darkstar »

retrousse