fiduciary

Author Topic: mounting micro USB port to chassis (Stardust)  (Read 5622 times)

Offline jalex000

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
mounting micro USB port to chassis (Stardust)
« on: January 18, 2018, 08:15:44 PM »
I am starting to plan a build around the Stardust V2 board. It uses a micro USB port for charging. While this will be very convenient for programming and charging once it is built, but I'm having trouble coming up with a scheme for mounting the female micro USB connector to a chassis that I'm confident will be mechanically stable. That is, it needs to survive lots of cable insertions without putting stress on the wiring. I don't want to cut a hole in the hilt for accessing it - I'd like it to be mounted either or on the side of a chassis near the end so that I can access it through the pommel, just like the typical mount for a 2.1mm barrel connector. Has anyone found off-the-shelf connectors that seem like they'd be a good fit for this, or else chassis parts the could be modified for this purpose?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:18:22 PM by jalex000 »

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
Re: mounting micro USB port to chassis (Stardust)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 08:58:02 PM »
this will all depend on the space available and where you can place it.

This may not necessarily be the exact port you need as that depends on what requirements are on the stardustboard
so ask the maker on that but something like this will provide a solid mounting surface.

USB Micro-B Breakout Board ID: 1833 - .50 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 10:05:49 PM »
I use a TRRS port (tip, ring, ring, sleeve... Like headphones with a mic) with a USB to TRRS cable, which has been used to charge iPod shuffles and some other devices.

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
  • Never tell me the odds!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 10:28:32 PM »
I use a TRRS port (tip, ring, ring, sleeve... Like headphones with a mic) with a USB to TRRS cable, which has been used to charge iPod shuffles and some other devices.

That's a really great idea! And it fits with the most standard chassis designs.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 02:54:14 AM »

This question could not have come at a better time, I'm in fact working on exactly this topic since I got from my wife a nice 3D printer for Xmas :)

I already designed 2 chassis as prototypes, final plan is to release them to thingiverse as open source blueprints for 3D chassis. Currently I place the micro USB female breakout port which comes delivered with all Stardust V2 boards in the chassis, so you just need to remove the pommel to access it.

More importantly I'm now debating the option to include a mini USB breakout, which is mechanically more robust than a micro USB, which would also solve some of your concerns.

I'm currently shipping Stardust V2 boards with this breakout board:
10pcs MICRO-B USB Buchse Anschluss Connector Breakout Board Sockel Arduino |

I consider this one as replacement if one wants an mini USB:
5x Mini-USB-Board Mini-USB-Modul Mini RGB Breakout Board für Arduino Pi Rot |

If you want to place the USB breakout board to the outside of the saber for easy access, you can do that as well, not more difficult than putting a 21mm RC port, in fact a USB port is smaller. If you prefer cylindrical port, you can follow jbkuma's proposal.
For one of my TCSS sabers I'm planning to make a custom clamp box where the USB access will be on the lower part of the clamp box, facing down, so not immediately visible but well accessible.

As a side not: I usually plan place for either a 5mm or 3mm LED as charge indicator, connected between CHR(+) and GND(-) of the Stardust board.

I will later on send some pics of my 3D chassis designs. And there is another guy who works with Stardust who came up with a splendid idea how to place the USB in the chasiss, I will include them too!!! Stay tuned!

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 06:46:09 PM »

More importantly I'm now debating the option to include a mini USB breakout, which is mechanically more robust than a micro USB, which would also solve some of your concerns.

That sound like the best Idea  :cool:

Offline NobAkimoto

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 02:02:41 AM »
Out of curiosity - how difficult would it be to change the Stardust/DIYino USB port to a USB-C? Would that require a new FTDI chip? In terms of general robustness, I've found Type-C connectors to be vastly superior to both old Micro and Mini ports - but the added complexity of USB-C might make this impractical.

Offline NobAkimoto

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 02:25:37 AM »
Also the TRRS idea is pretty brilliant.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 08:32:53 AM »
Out of curiosity - how difficult would it be to change the Stardust/DIYino USB port to a USB-C? Would that require a new FTDI chip? In terms of general robustness, I've found Type-C connectors to be vastly superior to both old Micro and Mini ports - but the added complexity of USB-C might make this impractical.

The type of connector is fairly irrelevant, you need 4 conductors: VCC, GND, D+, D-  The USB-C will work just fine, it is backwards compatible in this sort of application.  In some cases you may only want to connect GND, D+ and D- (not VCC) so as to avoid feeding power back to the battery.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 12:33:11 PM »
jbkuma said fairly everything there is to say about it, as long as you have these 4 signals, you can use whatever breakout you would like to. I assume soon there will be USB-C breakout boards available:
USB Type-C breakouts | Hackaday.io

As to what port to mount on a saber core: micro USB, as it is the smallest one and it is not expected that you overuse the on-board port, for that you can wire an external breakout at a more convenient and easy to access part of your saber and/or chassis.

Important is also the current capability of the used breakout, as starting with the Stardust v2 all of my boards will come with USB charging capability.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 04:28:18 PM »
It might save some space if you tried a usb-c adapter cable. The breakouts all seem a bit large.

Of course it could be difficult to identify the proper conductors with all of those wires and tiny contacts.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 02:43:07 AM »
Exactly, that is why I would not consider USB-C for the time being. Mostly everyone has nowadays a micro USB charger and the news about the death of min USB seem to me a bit premature too. At least for Arduino they still find widespread use.

BTW, over the weekend I managed to install my first 3D printed chassis with USB charging I designed. Pictures will be coming soon.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 05:34:52 AM »

As promised the final pictures of my first prototype.

This particular chassis I designed around the Stardust V2 to hold:
- the Stardust V2 board
- a single Li-Ion battery of type 18650
- an external USB breakout port for charging and programming
- a charge status indication LED
- a speaker holder for a 28mm TCSS 2W bass speaker, which can be attached/removed from the main part of the chassis with guide pins

I made the chassis for an MHS hilt, therefore it's compatible with TCSS hilts (31mm OD)
Here is how it looks like in-hilt being recharged.

before the install I placed a spare Stardust and battery inside to see how good they fit - they fit perfectly.

After the final install:

Finally some pics after the printing finished:

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 08:53:34 AM »
Nice work!

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 05:14:58 PM »

As promised the final pictures of my first prototype.

This particular chassis I designed around the Stardust V2 to hold:
- the Stardust V2 board
- a single Li-Ion battery of type 18650
- an external USB breakout port for charging and programming
- a charge status indication LED
- a speaker holder for a 28mm TCSS 2W bass speaker, which can be attached/removed from the main part of the chassis with guide pins

Uh oh, Obi_1 has a 3D printer. We're all in trouble now! (In the best way  :cool: )

retrousse