fiduciary

Author Topic: The non-martial arts  (Read 27796 times)

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
  • Many tentacles the dark side has
    • My Youtube channel
Re: The non-martial arts
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2016, 07:11:05 PM »
Double lightsaber staff spinning to Dream On by Aerosmith. Still not perfect but I think much improved over my last attempt at double staff. Ambient light was high and my red filters on my shorter staff were a bit aggressive, but the red comes through on occasion.
Revenge of the 5th: Double Saberstaff to Music - YouTube

Offline timtil18

• Padawan Learner
  • "I've got a bad feeling about this..."
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2016, 02:05:19 PM »
Like other comments above I can see how tutorials and the mixture of true martial arts form and technique would be difficult for many to choose to learn and improve on when all they want to do is spin a lightsaber. But, it is AWESOME that you are out there posting vids on what you know and incorporating that into your passion for Star Wars. People need to see the correlation between the arts and philosphy of martial arts and the way of the saber. Cheers!
"How can a man die better, than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his gods?"

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2016, 09:21:44 PM »
Figured, I would post this here. I was playing with my contact sword today, and I learned to do a contact move called a fishtail. A few days of trying, and it just clicked. So my immediate thought was, "if I can do this with a contact staff, can I do it with a lightsaber?" The answer...yes, but not very gracefully yet. The lightsaber lacks the grip, the weight, and the extended sweet-spot of a contact tool. Makes it hard to control. I will have to try it with a staff and work on it more. In this video you see me start out with a half fish and move into a full single. With a contact tool, I can keep this going. With a saber as yet, I have to bail after one full rotation.
Fishtail with an Ultrasaber - YouTube

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2016, 08:44:19 PM »
Just a quick video of my progress with a fishtail spin with a lightsaber and with a contact sword. Still difficult to get more than one rotation with a lightsaber because of the small center mass.
Fishtailing with a lightsaber and a contact sword - YouTube

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2016, 09:55:08 PM »
I just wanted to see what I could get away with with a fire poi in one hand and a lightsaber in the other. Turns out most things. Not reverse direction though and changing direction of spin is rough.
Poi and lightsaber hybrid - YouTube

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2016, 02:55:56 AM »
Lovin' the sedate music and library setting for the poi and lightsaber vid :laugh: and the fishtail spinning is impressive!

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2016, 05:36:25 PM »
Thanks. That is actually my video store, but it definitely has a library vibe. The music is canned youtube filler, but I thought it worked well. The name of the selection was "Dog and Pony Show" amusingly enough.

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2016, 04:40:45 PM »
These are tests for a new project I am working on. I am planning to reboot my tutorial series with better videos with some bells and whistles. The number of bells and whistles will depend on how well the kickstarter goes. Thought I would share some progress here though. The sample moves are some of the old staples and a few new ones I have been working on. There is a bit of each (contact, staff, single, and aerials) except there is no dual wield in this one. I was trying to do them slowly and clearly in most cases.
Unstable blade effect test - YouTube
trail effect test - YouTube
Costume test footage and Sample Moves - YouTube

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2016, 03:54:48 PM »
I was not sure if posts like this were appropriate, so I tried to check with about a dozen of the admins and got no word back. That was a week or so ago. Accordingly, I will just share this, and if they want to take it down, they may.

My newest project, Lightsaber Tutorials for Everyone, is now live on Kickstarter. It is an attempt to reboot my tutorial series, bring  high quality lightsaber spinning an fire flow art tutorials to Youtube, and let backers pick up some awesome rewards!

Find the project on Kickstarter and on Facebook

www.kickstarter.com/projects/717541782/light-saber-tutorials-for-everyone
www.facebook.com/Lightsaber-Tutorials-for-Everyone-338624919808855
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 04:35:57 PM by Darth Cephalus »

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2016, 05:39:25 PM »
Thought I would stick these in here as well. I had the opportunity the evening before last to try out a different camera and a couple new fire tools. It gives you some of the moves you will be getting in the upcoming tutorial reboot series. Please keep in mind that this is behind the scenes non-choreographed practice footage. It contains some moves I do not know well yet but will have mastered before I share them with you in tutorial form. I have left the drops and bloopers in as well as the side talk. The camera I will be using on the series will be better still than this one, but this is a step up I am sure you will agree from the project video. The first video features fire saber, the second double fire saber, and the last is fire staff.

Fire sword practice - YouTube
Dual wield fire sword practice - YouTube
Fire contact staff practice - YouTube

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2016, 09:24:53 PM »
Figured I would post this here. The topic of levitating sword came up in another forum. This is a first real attempt at the flying/levitating saber technique. Not polished yet and the equipment needs adjusted, but I will get there. All props to flowarrior, from whose video I picked this up.  Flying Saber Practice test 1 - YouTube

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2016, 10:15:14 PM »
This is a more or less finished version of my flying or levitating lightsaber technique. It includes five different levitation techniques. The learning curve was steep on this one, but I think I got there in the end. Hope you enjoy.
Flying/Levitating Lightsaber - YouTube

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2016, 02:51:03 AM »
Just a bit more of my levitating lightsaber technique, taken from a much longer video, with a first attempt at a black core special effect added. For the record, the blade color and black core are added in post, the rest of the effect is practical and looks just like that in person. Eventually I may be offering a kit and instructions on how to do this through a future kickstarter. Levitating lightsaber and black blade effect test - YouTube

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2016, 09:41:58 PM »
Master of Puppets: Lightsaber Levitation (Original Audio) - YouTube
Trying out my new levitating saber rig. I made some adjustments for increased spin and even found a new move or two around the 6 minute mark. This is the longer version of the video from the last post and without the black core effect. Storm in the background made me think of metal, so I set it to appropriate music from  Metalica. This version is listed as a private video so that Youtube did not flip out about the music track as much. I posted another with the audio stripped here Master of Puppets: Force Levitating a Lightsaber (changed audio) - YouTube The first is the preferred version though. If you try to share it, share the second.  Enjoy.

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2016, 02:57:42 PM »
First attempt at trying to dual wield levitating sabers. Not perfect and some mishaps, but I think the technique has potential. Consider this a work in progress.
Double Lightsaber Levitation - YouTube

retrousse