fiduciary

Author Topic: Trooper Planter: Video Build Log  (Read 1865 times)

Offline jbkuma

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Trooper Planter: Video Build Log
« on: March 27, 2019, 08:14:15 PM »

Day 1 of the Trooper Planter build.  This is my first time really trying to make an effort of documenting every step.  I obviously won't be showing every minute of every step.  Even day one of sanding took over an hour.

This step was printing the helmet (it has a few strategic fillers and holes in it) then sanding down to make it smooth.  This model was not as smooth as I might have hoped, so it will take a bit more work than it could have.  It actually took about 20 hours to print and is about 500g (1 pound) of plastic.  For those that are interested it is 2 walls, 10% infill, printed at .32 layer height and 80mm/s.  Supports only for the dramatic overhangs at the bottom of the helmet.

If you are wondering, the fuzzy looking thing is a fan with a washable filter I use in my office/workshop to try to reduce the overall dust and cat hair.  I sat in front of it to try to help keep the finer dust under control.

Next update will probably be filler, primer, and more sanding modifying the print with various tools and techniques.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 08:25:24 PM by jbkuma »

Offline Darkmatter73

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Trooper Planter: Video Build Log
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 09:33:57 AM »
A glimpse into the lair of the Mad One......muahahahaha he shrieks, take that mortals!
Well done man, so far so good.

Darkmatter73

Offline jbkuma

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 09:57:53 AM »
A glimpse into the lair of the Mad One......muahahahaha he shrieks, take that mortals!

Darkmatter73

Some folks have been bugging me to do more videos and show more of the process.  In general I don't enjoy interrupting work with setting up cameras or taking progress shots, but if I just let the camera fly and chop up some time lapses it's not as intrusive.

The truth is I don't really plan things.  I start with an idea, get working and let momentum carry it to it's final goal.  I tend to work on several projects at once, put things down for months (or years) and get back to them when inspiration strikes.

Offline Darkmatter73

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 10:55:19 AM »

Darkmatter73

Some folks have been bugging me to do more videos and show more of the process.  In general I don't enjoy interrupting work with setting up cameras or taking progress shots, but if I just let the camera fly and chop up some time lapses it's not as intrusive.

The truth is I don't really plan things.  I start with an idea, get working and let momentum carry it to it's final goal.  I tend to work on several projects at once, put things down for months (or years) and get back to them when inspiration strikes.

As any Mad Scientist worth his lab coat would  :azn:

Offline jbkuma

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 09:07:18 PM »

"Trooper Planter" progress. I debated giving it a "rebels"-esque makeover, but decided to go for sad, abandoned, and rained on instead. I also originally planned on filming more of the artistic process, but it's not as peaceful and relaxing to make things on camera.

retrousse