fiduciary

Author Topic: USPS and lithium batteries  (Read 34253 times)

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
Re: USPS and lithium batteries
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 03:12:24 PM »
Well isn't this rotten timing for us international saber builders since TCSS just started carrying a lot of cool new Li-ion battery options recently and I've only ever seen USPS shipping options when I check out there.  :(

I hope my May The Fourth sale order from TCSS doesn't get hung up at the border since it contained Li-ion batteries I need for my contest saber entry and TCSS orders usually take 3 weeks to get here which would be past this new May 16th battery ban deadline.  That would be my typical luck -sigh- :-\
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 03:14:39 PM by Onli-Won Kanomi »
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 05:58:09 PM »
I would think anything postmarked prior to the new regulations would be able to move through rather quickly.  Good luck getting your stuff in time for the contest, I'd hate to see the new regulations forcing a contestant out of the running :(

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline Jagged Fel

• Experienced Force User
  • "I know lesson one.Don't grab the glowy end."
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 04:31:18 PM »
So if i'm understanding everything here correct,international buyers can still recieve something with lithium batteries as long as it is shipped with FedX or UPS?Just not USPS untill they get things straitened out.
Sabers so far:

Luke V2,US 2.5 with crystal chamber(by ALuke123)
MR Vader ESB
MR Luke ESB
MR Luke ROTJ
MR Obi-Wan ROTS
Leia(work in progress)

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 04:49:09 PM »
When exploring on the FEDEX site, I found the following.  The new regulations that have gone into effect in the new IATA dangerous goods regulations seem to exclude small LiIon batteries in devices as long as packing instructions 967 are followed.  It seems USPS is taking a conservative view until the aviation laws are modified in January, but FEDEX appears to be OK as long as the items are packed properly and have a reliable method of preventing accidental ignition (in our case, a kill key or kill switch could be such a method).  Unsure about UPS.  I have also found it is better to not ask because, as someone mentioned, they always tell you no ::).

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Jerome

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 08:48:20 PM »
I found this two month old thread while searching for my topic on mailing lithium batteries.

Basically I ordered a bunch of stuff from TCSS to be sent to me in Australia. The package was marked as shipped, but a few days later I got a note from Tim saying that USPS has returned the package as the li-ion batteries are no longer accepted. So he's removed them and refunded me on the batteries.

He's posted on his forum that USPS has now cracked down on battery shipping, and now on his website, all his batteries are marked as not available for international shipping.  :'(

Reading Australia Post's website, their rules state that we cannot post batteries out internationally, but domestic is allowed but only by road.  It's possible that Australia Post is not even accepting air carried batteries into the country, regardless of carrier. My guess is that since parcels arriving from overseas are via air, then this would not be allowed since the plane would be entering Australia.
Vintage Graflex Luke ANH
Vintage Graflex Luke ESB
Rylo limited run Luke ROTJ
MHS custom "Excelsior"
Russrep Luke ROTJ V2
Russrep/Romans Obi-Wan ANH
OR Qui-Gon TPM (WIP)
Parks Obi-Wan TPM (WIP)

Offline Deke

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 09:56:50 PM »
I found this two month old thread while searching for my topic on mailing lithium batteries.

Basically I ordered a bunch of stuff from TCSS to be sent to me in Australia. The package was marked as shipped, but a few days later I got a note from Tim saying that USPS has returned the package as the li-ion batteries are no longer accepted. So he's removed them and refunded me on the batteries.

He's posted on his forum that USPS has now cracked down on battery shipping, and now on his website, all his batteries are marked as not available for international shipping.  :'(

Reading Australia Post's website, their rules state that we cannot post batteries out internationally, but domestic is allowed but only by road.  It's possible that Australia Post is not even accepting air carried batteries into the country, regardless of carrier. My guess is that since parcels arriving from overseas are via air, then this would not be allowed since the plane would be entering Australia.

This cannot be entirely true. I have received Li-Ion batteries twice in the last month from DealExtreme (which is from HK) via Air Mail. The package was clearly marked as batteries and had no issues arriving.

EDIT: I'm in Australia too, realized that wasn't obvious.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 10:00:47 PM by Deke »

Offline Jerome

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 10:06:50 PM »
Deke, that's good to know. I did not know for certain, it was just a guess.

From Brisbane too ey?

EDIT: but it does pose a concern for anyone here in Aus needing to send a saber internationally.
Vintage Graflex Luke ANH
Vintage Graflex Luke ESB
Rylo limited run Luke ROTJ
MHS custom "Excelsior"
Russrep Luke ROTJ V2
Russrep/Romans Obi-Wan ANH
OR Qui-Gon TPM (WIP)
Parks Obi-Wan TPM (WIP)

Offline PhoenixJedi

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Phoenix Sabers
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 11:44:05 PM »
Just dont mark them as lithium batteries.

I'm the only saber smith ever mentioned in the NY Times: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=35163
My Sabers: Avenger & Defender (TCSS Pair), Ravager (SF Vanquish)
Check out my profile for my website, sound font samples and pictures of sabers i've built!
Note: All sales from me, once shipped, are final.

Offline Scruffy Nerf Herder

• #1 supporter of Jar Jar for EPVII main lead character
  • Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 04:09:55 AM »
I've received two sabers with installed batteries and haven't had any issues yet.  However neither of those packages were identified as having LiIons installed ;)  BTW, I live in Okinawa and the only packages I can get come through USPS.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 05:32:47 AM »
That's true Scruffy, but we are all not marking the items as containing Li-Ion batteries.  I think we are all hoping that we'll get away with it until the laws are modified in January and that when they are modified it will become a non-issues :-\.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 10:35:16 PM »
Arise,  dead thread!  I just read something interesting on ebay regarding this very issue:
http://announcements.ebay.com/2012/11/sellers-usps-once-again-allowing-international-shipments-of-items-with-lithium-ion-batteries/

In a reversal of an earlier ban, USPS® has announced it will once again allow specific quantities of lithium-ion batteries to be shipped internationally when installed in the items they’re intended to operate. This reinstatement, effective immediately, also includes APO, FPO, and DPO locations around the world.

With the holiday season fast approaching, this is great news for sellers who ship internationally that offer popular gift items like video cameras, walkie-talkies, GPS devices, radio-controlled toys, cameras, MP3 players, laptops, electric shavers, power drills, tablets/iPads, and portable DVD players.
It was posted on the 20th of November,  so i'm a little slow on reading my messages there,  apparently.  This means the batteries must be installed in the device they intend to operate,  and said device must be prevented from accidental activation while in shipment....so no extra packs in the package would be allowed, and kill keys/plugs a must on sabers.

I have yet to verify this on USPS.com,  so I cannot guarantee the accuracy of ebay's statement yet.

EDIT:

Verified:
http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2012/pr12_ma1116.htm
MEDIA STATEMENT

On Nov. 15, the Postal Service updated international mailing standards concerning international mail shipments containing certain lithium batteries, see links:  http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2012-11-15/pdf/2012-27842.pdf and http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2012/pb22350/pdf/pb22350.pdf.

Specific quantities of lithium batteries are now allowed to be mailed when installed in the equipment they are intended to operate. However, some countries may decide to prohibit the acceptance of mail shipments containing any lithium metal or lithium-ion batteries.

The postal operator of Germany has notified the Postal Service it will not accept packages containing lithium metal or lithium-ion batteries destined to addresses in Germany.

This does not apply to shipments to and from APO (Army Post Office), FPO (Fleet Post Office) and DPO (Diplomatic Post Office) locations in Germany.

Updates to the Individual Country Listings in the International Mail Manual will be issued with the next scheduled online update.

Postal employees will advise customers of this prohibition and will decline any shipments of electronic items containing lithium batteries addressed to Germany.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:41:30 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline Elim Vos

• Master Force User
  • doing what is necessary is not always right
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 11:44:39 PM »
It's good to know that they will allow this.
Being stationed overseas. I have not run into this issue because
I have an FPO address. I've resived 3 li-ion packs in the last 4 months.
"In the Light, I have Balance. In the Darkness, I am Free"

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 09:04:02 AM »
That's very good news for smiths who are shipping sabers with Li-ion batteriy packs already installed in them...  :D

...though not so good - yet - for those of us outside of the USA who'd like to be able to buy the Li-ion packs from TCSS which aren't "installed" in the sabers we'd like to build with them...

...but at least it shows the USPS is willing to correct its mistakes partially so maybe there is still hope eh? lol
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 09:20:04 AM by Onli-Won Kanomi »
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Fat Ewok

• Master Force User
    • Gamer Professionals, LLC
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 09:13:10 AM »
Oh thank GOD. :) You just made my day Qui-Gon.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 09:19:59 AM »
I think this is a collective sigh of relief for the whole community.  Thanks so much for finding this Master QUI!!! 

retrousse