fiduciary

Author Topic: "White Core" Blade Testing  (Read 7977 times)

Offline Habbena

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • "I See You Have Constructed a New Lightsaber"
    • Illuminated Saber Design and Concepts
"White Core" Blade Testing
« on: September 23, 2015, 12:57:54 PM »
Many of you know, I like tinkering around with new blade ideas.  The combination of Tim getting colored PC stock and Photonic Bladesmith doing some work with FL acrylic led me to tinker around with the Red and Blue PC blades.  The initial results have been good, but I am going to continue to work on diffusion and tip issues/design.  I think I will be able to start offering these as an option on the sabers I sell here in the Trade Federation once some further R and D is done.  Since my last blade was the "Full Core Blade" I'll simply dub this as the "White Core Blade" as what I am looking to emulate is the whiter core that is often seen as more screen accurate.

So the best result was with the Blue P.C. blade.  I took Tim's Blade stock and loaded it with 6 feet of Cellophane, and wired up a Single Die Cree White.   Shots of the test below (Keep in mind there are always exposure issues, so photos don't really give a great representation so see commentary after pics)

Surprisingly this gave the best "white core" look.  The core was still a very light, bright shade of blue with the White cree illuminating the cellophane and the blue aura being created by the blade.  The tip issues are similar to that of the "Photon" blade, but easier to solve because their is no "special effect" as the photon blade produces.  A simple translucent PolyCarbonate Blue paint illuminated blue (instead of white) and provides a matching tip.   As I said, there are some diffusion issues that need tweaking before the blade is considered "ready" IMO, but this was the best of the two.

The red blade was "OK" but did not replicate the "white core" effect as well as the blue blade does.  Same process:  Red blade, Cellophane, White Cree:

While the blade still looked good, the cellophane was still very "colored" and thus did not replicate the white core effect as well as the blue.  I am ordering some acrylic florescent red to see if the effect that Photonic blade smith got with Red can be relplicated with a typical saber setup.  If it does, I a may look into the possibility of producing a run of Florescent Red Polycarbonate stock. 

Anyway -

I'll probably have the blue available as an option soon, and will also test Purple and Green soon to see if the "white core" effect is doable (green seems more promising than purple given the results with Red and Blue) I also want to test some different tip options. 

But Tim has the stock of these (sans matching tips) so if you want to make them yourself they are there for you to create and tinker with as well.  Here are the pros and cons that I see of these blades with a white LED setup:

Pros:
With a simple White Cree or Rebel you can interchange blades to get a different color.
Day blades still have a color to them.
Some replicate a "white core" effect

Cons:
A White LED will only really look good with colored blades (unless you like a white/silver main blade)
You will need to color your tips or the blade will be blue/red/purple and the tip will be white.

Onward and upwards, Saberland

Offline mikestar007

• Force User
Re: "White Core" Blade Testing
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 07:52:01 PM »
Thank you for doing that testing! I am really into the idea of the white core blade. Do you think of setups like WWA, WWG, or WWRo for FOC?

Offline livebyhonor

• Force User
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 08:03:51 PM »
Im thinking the white core idea would (for the red anyway) be easier with a component blade, the LED  string kind. they are not that popular due to their complexity of making them, but it would likely  solve  the white start and fading to red slowly issue i assume your getting. Red being the weaker color when it comes to intensity is probably going tot do this even with  a tri cree or more.

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 03:43:26 AM »
This is intertesting and good to see - thanks for sharing.

I was thinking about this reading about Photonic Bladesmith's work and feedback on the photon blades.

Also interested in the difference with string blades, as well as wondering how coloured film (either coloured polyp wrap or a combo of polyp with wrap(s) of lighting gel film.

Also curious - I guess a fair bit of brightness is lost with the coloured polyc blades, but is this 'a lot' or just 'a bit' (know that's gonna be subjective, but in your opinion)?

Offline Johannes Huber

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 03:33:13 PM »
Has anyone yet tried the original idea with the new tri-cree, quad cree/quad rebel or the tri-rebel cool white with the 9 degree lens. Might the lens be one of the issues that makes or breaks this core effect. I fooled around with this a little on my very first saber with a quad cool white with the 18(?) lens and the blue pc from TCSS but without the wrap a couple of years ago and the results were certainly interesting. Would be very interested in seeing what happens with multiple dies, film/wrap and a narrow lens now that I have slightly more idea of how the blades work as part of the white "core" look that I really like. Look forward to seeing where this goes.

Offline Habbena

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • "I See You Have Constructed a New Lightsaber"
    • Illuminated Saber Design and Concepts
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 04:21:24 PM »
OK. 

An Update - I am putting in an order for Florescent Blue and Florescent Red Acrylic.  I am not doing green as I believe the Photon Green blade is great and give that "white core" look in a real good way.  It will take about a month the get the acrylic in.  If the tests are profitable, I will consider doing a large order of Polycarbonate in these colors so the community has the "White Core" option in Red and Blue which covers the primary spectrum.  The Red and Purple at the TCSS are not "florescent"  I also tested the Purple from TCSS,  It  looked "OK" not as good as blue)

The Blue from TCSS was a deeper blue (more of a Prequel Blue) I am hoping a florescent Blue with give more of a OT Sky Blue look with White Core.

Johannes - I don't have any of those LEDS in White, but I'll look to see if I can get one in and test them out once I get the acrylics in.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 08:59:51 PM »
OK. 

An Update - I am putting in an order for Florescent Blue and Florescent Red Acrylic.  I am not doing green as I believe the Photon Green blade is great and give that "white core" look in a real good way.  It will take about a month the get the acrylic in.  If the tests are profitable, I will consider doing a large order of Polycarbonate in these colors so the community has the "White Core" option in Red and Blue which covers the primary spectrum.  The Red and Purple at the TCSS are not "florescent"  I also tested the Purple from TCSS,  It  looked "OK" not as good as blue)

The Blue from TCSS was a deeper blue (more of a Prequel Blue) I am hoping a florescent Blue with give more of a OT Sky Blue look with White Core.

Johannes - I don't have any of those LEDS in White, but I'll look to see if I can get one in and test them out once I get the acrylics in.

I'm also totally after the 'white core' look. Can't wait to see if the Photonic Blue can be worked out. I would love to see that.

My closest white core thing (aside from a cool white blade itself), has been this blade:
Ice, Ice Baby - YouTube

Although it's hard to tell in the video, it's a decent white core/blue aura type of thing, but when you look at it as you hold it it has color separatioin. It's like you need to be a few feet away or looking in a mirror for this to look great.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 10:43:42 AM by SpaceWindu »

Offline Ekosk

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 12:24:29 AM »
Very nice. I would like to see what this looks like in a green day blade. Might get this for a show saber for cons
Proud owner of:
Solo's Hold Padawan RGrB with Petit Crouton 3.5 Prizm
Vader's Vault Havok Suncrusher RGB with Crystal Shard 3.0

Offline ishtob

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 05:13:22 PM »
has anyone tried white LED with the photon green blade? White light technically has the blue spectrum in it and should, in theory, activate the fluorescent dye

Offline ishtob

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 10:52:32 AM »
nvm, ordering it myself to run some test on my tri XP-L white cree. will post the pictures when the supply arrives

Offline EXAR KUN

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 11:15:53 AM »
has anyone tried white LED with the photon green blade? White light technically has the blue spectrum in it and should, in theory, activate the fluorescent dye

The light becomes a pretty eerie yellow. Not as good or bright as blue LEDs in my experiments.

Offline ishtob

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 04:28:17 PM »
thanks for this info. I'll see if I can get a photo up this weekend. The supplies for the photon blade in coming in tomorrow morning

Offline EXAR KUN

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 08:52:47 PM »
Here's a video of how the color looks and a few photos of the light cast, then the blade pointing at pumpkins. I would say it looks more yellow in person and more green on camera.

Worlds First Photonic Lightsaber String Blade Using 12mm LEDs - YouTube

Offline Ekosk

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 11:49:23 AM »
While on the subject of photon blades, will there be other colors of those available soon? That would be awesome
Proud owner of:
Solo's Hold Padawan RGrB with Petit Crouton 3.5 Prizm
Vader's Vault Havok Suncrusher RGB with Crystal Shard 3.0

Offline EXAR KUN

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
While on the subject of photon blades, will there be other colors of those available soon? That would be awesome

I would love to see a sweet blue one made... I think a blue photon would appear like electric blue. Very bright, deep, but with an electric royal aura. That's just my guess.

I see red as being uber bright red.

LUMINARA from Vader's Vault is working on this with the Photonic Bladesmith and Tim from TCSS as I understand.

I actually can't believe how fast this green photon tube came to market. If you had asked me I thought it would take five years so the couple months it really took is lightning fast in the saber world. Can't wait to see the other colors. This looks to be the future if you compare lumen tests to standard LEDs (not in a photon tube).

Makoto V3 Blue LED Blade with TCSS Green Photon - YouTube

my friend Steve's video with Makoto blade (blue) in the available Photon green blade. Amazing

retrousse