fiduciary

Author Topic: 3 Watt Single Dice Purple LED no UV safe for sabers!!!  (Read 10226 times)

Offline Amptrooper

• Master Force User
  • Imperial Royal Arms SaberSmith AmpTrooper Sabers
    • Imperial Royal Arms
3 Watt Single Dice Purple LED no UV safe for sabers!!!
« on: August 19, 2011, 06:08:48 PM »
For sake of not having to rewrite the entire thing I will put the link up (for as long as it is allowed)  ;) .
All the stats are there on it.
Love to here your feed back on this. It really looks pretty good and the best thing is there is no
colors trying to mix as with so many other purples. Just the nature of using an RGB.
So, you get the same purple color from base to tip!! I is not a UV led and does not react to objects
as such either. So, i it perfectly safe to use. More info in the link:

http://amptrooper.10.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?p=3370#3370

Here is a picture!

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
Re: 3 Watt Single Dice Purple LED no UV safe for sabers!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 06:14:16 PM »
interesting find, is the color consistent no matter what voltage is given, ..overdriven or otherwise?

Kudos.

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 06:28:07 PM »
If you can get it in a 10W, I want one!

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 07:14:06 PM »
Can you post the correct wavelength specs?  505 nm is the wavelength for cyan.  If it is a typo and you mean 405 nm that is on the high end of UV. 

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Amptrooper

• Master Force User
    • Imperial Royal Arms
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 11:29:42 PM »
Can you post the correct wavelength specs?  505 nm is the wavelength for cyan.  If it is a typo and you mean 405 nm that is on the high end of UV. 

Yeah, your right about that. Good find! I will ask him on Monday. He very well sent the wrong one. I thought before he was saying something in the 400 range. But I can't remember what number he was talking about. We were talking about all this on the phone. He is from the States, Boston if I remember right.  Working out of  Thailand. Updated to come!

Offline Amptrooper

• Master Force User
    • Imperial Royal Arms
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 11:45:47 PM »
interesting find, is the color consistent no matter what voltage is given, ..overdriven or otherwise?

Kudos.

Short answer yes. It is currently driving at 1000 as that is what I am testing it up to right know for.
You can go lower ans what you get is a nice blad but the blade starts being a deeper darker purple.

I have to tell you this has been a fun saber to test. Because it is purple it will mess with some colors (not much). the colors like say a uv would mess with this cannot at all. This  just makes white shirt, purple and so on. I can't wait to hook it up to the sound board and see how this ramps in and out likw the move sabers. I think it ig going to loook sweet!!!

Offline ataramith

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 01:27:35 AM »
Nice I like the shade of purple lets hope they start to stock this and the higher powered ones.

Offline Darth Matth

• Master Force User
  • You think I'm mad? Guess what,... I'm Darth Matth!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
It would be nice to have this purple LED in a 10W, or have 4 dies of this LED's if possible.
But what would I know.
I just like it bright, and purple if possible, and this purple seems perfect to me.

Signature teleports you to my lightsaber collection

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
Are you SURE this really has "no UV"? Or if not a UV maybe its a 'Royal Blue' LED thats dominant wavelength is well towards the UV side giving a purple appearance? I saw a saber with one of those a few years ago but it was a manufacturing aberration and iirc TCSS got a few purple RB 'flukes' once too...if someone has now found a way to make Royal Blue LEDs that are all well on the purple side consistently that would be pretty darn cool indeed.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 03:11:28 PM by Onli-Won Kanomi »
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Amptrooper

• Master Force User
    • Imperial Royal Arms
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 04:41:27 PM »
Are you SURE this really has "no UV"? Or if not a UV maybe its a 'Royal Blue' LED thats dominant wavelength is well towards the UV side giving a purple appearance? I saw a saber with one of those a few years ago but it was a manufacturing aberration and iirc TCSS got a few purple RB 'flukes' once too...if someone has now found a way to make Royal Blue LEDs that are all well on the purple side consistently that would be pretty darn cool indeed.

100% that it contains no UV wave lengths. You may be right on the blue!! They will not tell me how they are doing it. All the info that I have is what I have posted and that is all I get. I say you may be right on the blue because of the blade thing. Did you see the part about if I use a TCSS white blade it turns this to a really beautiful blue. I mean this blue is really cool and odd looking! Now it only does this with the TCSS white blades. Not the ones from Ultra! Go figure that one! But yeah, it is a single dice and has a constant color! I can't wait to see it in a 5 watt! I mean this one is cool and all but 5 watt will be just about perfect if they can keep the same tone! He has hinted around a lot about it so i think we are close! I know that he will have them just, impatiences take me over! LOL!

Offline Amptrooper

• Master Force User
    • Imperial Royal Arms
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 04:44:30 PM »

Here is the update. He sent me this from his testing.
Here is UV

Here is the purple

So, by looking at that I would call it right at 400 or just a little past.  I should have more info on Monday.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 05:31:02 PM »
I do not mean to be negative and I'm sure it is a cool LED, but 400 nm is the wavelength for UVA also known as Ultra-violet A which is the closest UV to the visible spectrum.  A good purple, is around 420 nm.  Still, 400 nm is on the purple side of UV so probably better visually than some of the lower types eg. UVB, UBC, FUV, SUV (I kid you not :D), and EUV.  I have tested LEDs in that range (400-405) in the past.  In fact they are commonly used for Fish Tanks, believe it or not :).  However, for our purposes they are not as bright as colors that are completely in the visible spectrum.  Whether they are harmful to the eyes or not, I do not know.  
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 05:37:47 PM by LUMINARA UNDULI »

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 05:39:43 PM »
In looking at your two charts, the UV peaks at about 405nm and you clearly state it is UV.  So how can this new purple be only 400 yet not be UV?  According to most texts on the matter, UVA is in the range of 320-400nm.  I don't see how these cannot be emitting some UV rays.  When playing that close to the edge of the spectrum, caution should take precedence.

Offline Aus_Jedi_Killer

• Master Force User
  • You wanna buy some deathsticks? :D
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 06:15:18 PM »
May be a stupid question and it's likely already been answered but... What does it matter if it emits uv rays? Isn't the point just to get a nice consistent purple?

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 06:27:24 PM »
Google UV rays and it's harm  8) 
Support our Font Makers!

retrousse