fiduciary

Author Topic: About these kits  (Read 16249 times)

Offline Jedi Farmboy

• Master Force User
Re: About these kits
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2007, 03:22:58 PM »
Lmao, either Master Yoda has been drinking, or seen one too many graflex's, he may finally have ;) haha  :D
"...the galaxy was littered with the body parts of those
who had underestimated the strength of Luke Skywalker."

- Darth Caedus, 41 ABY

Offline Plane Crazy

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2007, 03:29:50 PM »
...Shim shimmery shim shim sheroooo :D
to shim the adapter is what you must do ;)

shim it to much and it will not fit, shim it to little and loose it will get.

lol

I picture this dance by Master Yoda while singing this song...

Plane Crazy

Offline robiwan

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2007, 03:38:02 PM »
Well, I figure I'll start with small strips of aluminum tape. Build it up until it doesnt move. I ordered my 5w luxeon yestrerday. I ordered the wrong one last week to begin with, I have a 1w cyan that I have no use for. The 5w should be here by Friday. Once that comes in I'll be at a stand still until we get our UltraSounds.
Disrespectful and Condescending to Staff.

Offline Jedi Farmboy

• Master Force User
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2007, 03:45:07 PM »
You never know Robiwon, by friday the Ultrasound might be ready to ship too!  :o

Master Yoda for all that is righteous and good in the force... use that animation Plane Crazy posted as your avitar!!!  :D :P
"...the galaxy was littered with the body parts of those
who had underestimated the strength of Luke Skywalker."

- Darth Caedus, 41 ABY

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2007, 03:51:12 PM »
 :D :D  :D  :D  sorry no drinks or food around the saber building room...
besides, I save that colorful character for when I go out for the social gatherings :D

That's a funny clip :D I'll refer to it when I need a Laugh ;)

It's not how many graflexs... but the variety of them :)

Now the Parks are all relatively consistent and quality controlled for the most part.
But Vintages... well they have their own character to each one and quality control in the 30s and 40s isn't what it is now :D

The Vintages changed between the years and got better and more consistent as they went along
so having one adapter to fit them all means, singing the shim song :D

Other wise I would loose my mind, because each hilt always seems to have it's own special needs and you have to approach each
one with the same care and dedication to quality to be sure they come out right once converted ;D

Offline robiwan

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2007, 04:05:23 PM »
Yoda, I may have come up with a better solution to the shimming. Drill and tap a small hole for a medium set screw. You are or were into rc cars so you know what kind I mean, the ones for setting droop in the suspension. This could be raised or lowered in increments until the desired deflection was obtained. A drop of thread locker and your all set. What do ya think?

Edit- The screw trick works! I drilled a 2mm hole in the top two fins. I then screwed in a 2mm screw down to where the head was just above the heatsink. Tested the fit, still a little droop. I then raised the screw 1mm and tried again. After putting it together, there was no more droop! The blade is now horizontal to the hilt! I think this has got to be easier than shimming.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 12:56:23 PM by robiwon »

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2007, 01:20:36 PM »
I'm glad you found a method that worked for you.
Sounds like it will be fine, but testing will prove whether or not it will hold the way you want
and how it works with everything else installed ;)

I need my adapter bottoms to be centered when using the chassis and there for I shim it all the way around
and my shimming acts as a impact buffer between the shell for the graflex and the adapter.
It also provides even distribution of the impact so it works for me :)

Offline robiwan

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2007, 03:58:11 PM »
Aaahhh, I see. Good deal then. The frame I am building (I wont refer to mine as a chassis, out of respect) will not be hard connected to the blade socket. My speaker will be secured to the bottom of the hilt and the frame holding my board and battery will be in a thin foam sleeve. Well, that's the plan anyway.  :D  Deans micro plugs will be the connectors used. I have a lot of those left from my micros! Hey, this is fun!  ;D

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2007, 04:43:33 PM »
Aaahhh, I see. Good deal then. The frame I am building (I wont refer to mine as a chassis, out of respect) will not be hard connected to the blade socket. My speaker will be secured to the bottom of the hilt and the frame holding my board and battery will be in a thin foam sleeve. Well, that's the plan anyway.  :D  Deans micro plugs will be the connectors used. I have a lot of those left from my micros! Hey, this is fun!  ;D

Micros You say :D

Have you seen this? http://eitsrc.com/DAYTONA.htm
Something I did when they were popular a few years ago 8)
This chassis hands down Won 1st West Coast Micro Challenge from Hitec
1st place 3rd and 5th in Mod open and 2nd and 6th places in other classes.

I designed this double deck Carbon fiber chassis for the Xray-M18 based on the fact that
it needed to move with the ground and not against it.

Un matched in corners with my lower and upper chassis configuration...
and the Motek all the others and even Xray them selves copied the xxx out of my upper deck designs.
the XGT was the very first chassis ever out for the M18 and it evolved into the XGT daytona.

Anyway back to Lightsabers :D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 05:57:10 PM by Yoda »

Offline robiwan

• Banned
  • Master Force User

Offline Blair

• Force User
  • UK Sabersmith and Collector
    • http://www.blss.info
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2007, 12:21:56 AM »
FYI:
My new and up coming kit has a solution for this that is meant for use with the Ultra board and a Momentary switch
actually will use the stock buttons assembled with little or no alteration and simply fit under it and actuate when pushed.
I have two different types but have been waiting to test my switches with Ultras board first before making the Kits available...

But for all intents and purposes that larger square switch in both momentary and latching is a heavy duty switch
and has proven reliable for me for years now.

Just interested to know if you have perfected this "New solution" and if you are indead supplying it with you new DIY Kit? :)

If not... do you have any ideas where to source a switch that could be used with the stock RB without modding?  Price isn't a worry... but easy of install and such are.

~Blair

retrousse