fiduciary

Author Topic: Graflex Replica Build - WIP  (Read 17830 times)

Offline Anceem Llevik

• Experienced Force User
Re: Graflex Replica Build - WIP
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 06:17:54 AM »
Thanks Luke. A little further research has turned up something interesting. I had mistakenly set my clamp box on the left side (90° from the red button and rabbit ears) just in setting things up. It seems that the clamp actually should be 90° to the RIGHT. However, to me, being right handed, this means that the clamp sits smack in the meat of my right hand, which I don't find particularly comfortable. Is this how most people handle this saber? If the clamp is to the left, my right hand has an unobstructed grip, and the clamp fits nicely between the thumb and first finger of my left hand - much more comfortable. I suppose since I'm doing a hybrid that isn't screen accurate, I could do this my way.
On the D-ring, I had set the tape on there based on one of the photos of Yoda's Graflex V, but after reassembling the saber, you're right, the D-ring would be sitting at a funny angle. I am going to readjust before drilling, and will take a new shot of the tape's orientation. I hope to get this done this weekend, but my Vikings are playing the Bears tomorrow for first place, so time is limited!  :D

MR Construction Kit, US Dominix, US Initiate, The Persuader by Do-Clo, Graflex

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 10:58:39 AM »
Actually with the center of gravity up so high with the blade on I like to hold it much higher up.  My hand is usually around the area of the red button.  I make sure my spins have the red button on the opposite side from my hand.  My index finger usually is above the red button.  This is one reason I like the glass eye better on the ESB.  And since it was in the Bespin hand cut off scene it is canon.

Most will tell you that the graflex is one of the worst sabers to duel with.  Too many things sticking out.  Still though I can't put it down.  But that is why I built a custom with no protrusions.

Offline Anceem Llevik

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 07:23:11 AM »
Well here it is almost Halloween, and I have some work to do! I did get the foil tape put on last night (not much progress, but some!). I'm going to be drilling the sound holes and attaching the D-clip today, but am also looking ahead to the grips. The template was perfectly sized the at 100% for me, but do you make marks on the metal with a fine tipped Sharpie and then slide the template off? Thanks all!

EDIT -  It seems the tap I bought is a bit too narrow. The one I have is 32 threads/in., is stamped 6-32NC and came with a 7/16" drill bit. The thread count is right, I'm sure of that, but before I head back to the hardware store does anyone know the exact width of the D-clip screws. Now I wish I had a caliper set.

EDIT #2 - Photos added. The first shows the placement of the D-clip holes and the "salt and pepper shaker" holes for sound. In the other one I've tried to show the angle the clip is attached in relation to the words stamped on the end of the hilt.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 06:58:18 PM by Anceem Llevik »

Offline Anceem Llevik

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 07:05:14 PM »
So it turns out the bolts that came with my D-clip from TFX Studios didn't even fit through the holes in the clip! All this figuring to find the correct size tap, and I had to pick two new sheet metal screws after all. 6-32NC size. I'd like to change them to an allen wrench drive eventually, but these will do for the time being. Now, on to the grips!

Offline Anceem Llevik

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 08:00:29 PM »
Like I mentioned in an earlier post, the template I had downloaded fit perfectly at 100%.  I chopped about a 1/2" off of it so there would be enough room on top and bottom to make marks on the hilt (first picture). I then made marks with a fine pencil and put squiggles between so I was sure to place the grips correctly (shown in the yellow circle in photo 2, in which I overblew the brightness to make the marks show). After removing the template and cleaning the hilt piece with acetone (raiding my wife's nail polish remover), the grips went on really quickly.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 07:11:59 PM by Anceem Llevik »

Offline Anceem Llevik

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
And…the finished product (at least on the outside)! I haven't put the Yoda chassis in yet since I'm waiting for my UltraSound 2.0 to come, but this will do for Halloween on Friday. I'll post more when that process starts. All in all, I am thrilled with how this looks!  :D

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 07:02:39 PM by Anceem Llevik »

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 08:09:43 PM »
Congrats on the Graflex!!! I never get tired of looking at these, ..they are in a league of there own in saber hilts.

Great looking graflex Anceem!!

Offline MoonDragn

• Force User
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 06:15:29 AM »
Awesome! I just got my grips in from TFX and am ready to do what you just did. I think I need to find a punch first to make sure my holes will not stray on this round surface.

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 07:57:51 AM »
I just bought an automatic punch from Home Depot for $9.

Awesome! I just got my grips in from TFX and am ready to do what you just did. I think I need to find a punch first to make sure my holes will not stray on this round surface.

Offline MoonDragn

• Force User
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 09:30:08 AM »
I don't see it in their catalogue, what is it called exactly? Do you have a link?

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 10:11:53 AM »
No catalog or link. I was just there the other night. In the tools section past the hammers and screwdrivers.

I don't see it in their catalogue, what is it called exactly? Do you have a link?

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 10:18:50 AM »
Anceem,

Sorry I wasn't on to guide you.  I got roped into house stuff.  Looks like you did everything I did on mine.  It looks like it all came out great.  As for the pommel cap non of them are on with the same alignment so you would have to be extremely lucky to have it exactly like the one used in the movies.  As long as you have oriented it correctly with the clamp that is the closest you can get. 

Moondragon you def want to use a punch before you drill.  The round shell and the smoothness of the metal will def cause you bit to walk.  Make sure to have something like a dowel to back it up as you punch.  I went to home depot and bought 1' of closet hangar dowel.  It's nice and fat and if you cut the end square fits great in a bench vise and is a perfect holder for the hilt while working on it.

I got newly refurbed Yoda chassis and played with if yesterday.  It is amazing inside and out.  I am too busy this week to give good review so I will have to wait till next week to do it.  With the new crystal chamber and CF it is awesome.

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2008, 08:42:38 AM »
Luke,

Regarding your new chassis, could you explain the AUX button switch and how Yoda got a button under the glass eye? What kind of button is it? I'm pondering how to put an AUX button on my Graflex without going to two red buttons (that would be easy). I really want to keep my glass eye though.

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2008, 08:43:32 AM »
PM sent

Offline Anceem Llevik

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008, 02:22:22 PM »
My US 2.0 and mid-grade blade came in the mail today!  :o  The final two pieces of the puzzle, not including batteries. Now, to wire this baby up, can anyone offer a suggestion on the best kind of solder iron to use? My father has one, but it's not small enough to make such a tight succession of connections. Thanks! I'm excited and a little bit leary all at once. And yes, there will be much practice before the actual board gets involved.  ;)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 07:01:19 PM by Anceem Llevik »

retrousse