fiduciary

Author Topic: MR Princess Leia Blaster Review w/pics  (Read 6291 times)

Offline GoldLdr

• Experienced Force User
  • Stay on Target!
MR Princess Leia Blaster Review w/pics
« on: August 23, 2007, 07:38:19 PM »
Since I am collecting all these wonderful LE and FX sabers I thought I might as well take a shot at reviewing a few of them.  Please bear with the picture quality, I am having camera issues.

Master Replicas Princess Leia Blaster LE

This is my first blaster.  I've collected a few LE sabers now, but this was the first step into the world of blasters.  I actually ordered two different LE blasters, but this one came first.  I wasn't sure what to expect.  I love the blaster prop in the movie.  Star Wars is a great movie for establishing characters quickly.  Han blasts Greedo right after we meet him.  Vader killing Cpt. Antilles is the first thing we see him do, and Princess Leia shows us she will not go down with out a fight when she blasts the first stormtrooper who comes her way.  This is the weapon she uses to voice her defiance!

The MR blaster is a replica of the DDC Defender pistol that she is armed with in the opening scenes of ANH.  It's a sleek, long barreled pistol that fits well in the hand and looks like something a princess might wield.  The MR replica seems very true to the prop (based on what I have seen).  It is heavier then it appears, and has a great level of detail to it.

Packaging:
Standard MR packaging.  When you open up the inner black box, orange customs stickers tell you this is a prop and could never be a functioning weapon.  That makes me remember quickly this is different from a lightsaber!  Good packaging setup to keep the box smaller, with this side up warnings on the styrofoam inserts so you don't drop the pistol when you open it.  It's a little hard to get unpacked, but so are most of the MR replicas and I'll take protection over ease of unpacking any day.
8/10

The Blaster:
The first thing that struck me about it was the finish.  It is a shiny black finish, not the matte finish (like the E-11) I had been expecting.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it was not what I was expecting from the pictures I had seen.  The prop has a very good weight to it.  In the hand it feels substantial and like it could be a servicable firearm.  The frame of the pistol is pretty much like any small caliber target pistol.  The majority of the prop altering is on the barrel, which is extended and has been embelished with ribbed sections.  Everything feels very secure and well made.  There is a little plastic in the barrel embelishments, but mostly metal construction.  As anything that could be mistaken for a firearm should, a blaze orange plug sits in the end of the barrel, but it has been sunk in enough that you cannot see it from the side.  That is a nice touch for us collectors.  The hammer is a red/brown color.  It is the only piece on the blaster that has a different color finish.  All in all, I am very happy with the blaster!
9/10

The Display:
Standard MR LE style display from the new era of LE's.  Mirrored base with custom acrylic supports and an acrylic cover.  I really love the simple elegance of the MR LE displays, and this one is no different.  The back support fits over the magazine and the forward support fits under the end of the frame/spring assembly.  I was a little worried about balance when I was looking at the placement, but MR figured it perfectly and the blaster feels secure once you have it in place.
9/10

Overall:
9/10

Here are some pics (pardon the exposure.  My camera is having issues).

Right Side View

Left Side View

Hammer / Rear View

Frame closeup

Barrel Close Up

Front View (with orange plug)

Full Display

Plaque

Leia with E-11 for size/finish comparison

Heres a little preview of the next review I will do!

Let me know if this sort of review is informative or if I should stop!

-GoldLdr

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 07:33:09 AM by GoldLdr »

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
Re: MR Princess Leia Blaster Review w/pics
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 08:17:11 PM »
Excellent review!

I think this is the first time I have seen real world pics of the Leia blaster.  Very cool indeed.  I didn't even know about how the trigger was a different color.

Very informative review!  8)

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline Aluke123

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 10:11:17 PM »
good review man!

i can't believe that MR puts in those orange plugs on the LEs. that's something for a kid toy, not a $100+ replica  >:(

Lord Maul on TCSS

Offline GoldLdr

• Experienced Force User
  • Stay on Target!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 07:35:28 AM »
Since MR sunk the orange plug so far in, I don't mind it.  You really have to be looking down the barrel of the replica to see it.  I don't have a problem with the orange plug in anything that could be mistaken by the police for a real weapon, which this certainly could be if someone was using it in a costume / playing with it.

-GoldLdr

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 08:28:54 AM »
From what I understand, the orange plug is there to comply with firearm laws. 

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline Red Five

• Master Force User
  • "My daddy can whoop your daddy!" -Luke Skywalker
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »
If you don't plan on ever selling it or taking it out of your home, could you drill the plug out or is that illegal?

BTW, great and thorough review. 8)

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 01:53:22 PM »
 ;D
great review my friend and I love those pics you have there!! :o :o

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 04:03:57 AM »
This is actually a lot cooler than the pics show, very good collectable and ofcourse OT stuff rocks!

retrousse