fiduciary

Author Topic: Havok's Ember - a custom saber for a friend across the pond  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Darkmatter73

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
Havok's Ember - a custom saber for a friend across the pond
« on: October 18, 2016, 11:45:33 AM »
Hi all.
Today I present to you, Havok's Ember. This was a commission for my good friend Baconwizard.
His vision was very detailed, and is the backstory for this saber, which I will leave for him to tell.
Basically though, at one point in time, this was an Imperial Knight saber. The cues are still visible ( shrouds especially )but it's seen many changes.

This saber was a joy to work on, and I learned alot. This is as close to his vision as I could get without bending the laws of physics, but I'm still working on that.

The specs:
custom saltwater etching in circuitry pattern
extreme aging/weathering of pommel and especially the emitter ( a new technique! )
custom cut and etched shrouds, with an ancient Sith incantation "melted" into it
NB3
JQ Sabers Imperial ring switch - red and extremely aged
inlaid gold wiring around the switch, for a cool circuitry look
recharge port
bass speaker
custom tri-cree XP-L for bright white blade

Thanks again to Baconwizard for his patience, and his vision.
Enjoy and thank you for looking.

-Darkmatter73

Offline 8lade

• Padawan Learner
Re: Havok's Ember - a custom saber for a friend across the pond
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 11:50:50 AM »
I love it!
Great attention to detail with the inlaid gold wiring.Very nice!

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 12:12:34 PM »
Words cannot describe just how stoked I am to see this here. My imagination made real more true to my vision than I'd dared hope.

This is featured in some fanfic I am working on, which is already FAR to long to post on a forum. But as Darkmatter says, it used to be an Imoerial Knight's saber.
Briefly: in Legends, Legacy era...The Imperial Knight known as Eshkar Niin turned to The Dark Side and thus ensued a battle between him and his once apprentice: Drako. Drako defeated his former master believing him to be dead. However the Knight turned Sith had deceived Drako and survived to appear once more as Darth Havok.

When we see his return as a Sith Lord, Havok carries a black coral lightsaber with a red blade. His old saber having been lost in that duel upon the rooftops of Bastion.

In my fanfic, a young  Jensaarai warrior is drawn to it, finding it decades later in low orbit around Bastion, all but ruined by the corrosive effects of radiation, space dust and toxic waste of military industry.

Hence the corroded emitter and pommel. The outer shroud has gone completely to show the inner workings (greeblies-excuse!) but has now been fitted with a nice new Sith-like shroud.

The enscription is in Kittat, aka Old Tongue which is the Sith language used for incantations etc. It says "summon demon", an except from a partly translated document that you can find online.

And thus this saber is names Havok's Ember, after "darkest ember" which is one of the other phrases that was translated in that document.

This is so like what I had in mind that I feel rather emotional to see these pics with the incredible work on the emitter, the lovely greebles and weathering alongside a glowing red that mimics the red of Imperial Knight's armour, plus the forked shroud in reference to Havok's Iktochi horns.
The inlaid wire around the corroded switch really sets it off!

I can only thank you Darkmatter for being the right kind of crazy and for all your painstaking work  :shocked: :shocked:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 12:19:31 PM by TheBaconWizard »

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 01:16:29 PM »
An intriguing story to accompany a superb made saber! I love the printed circuit board type engravings and etchings.

Offline Darkjedi

• Master Force User
  • I love Star Wars so much ,I married her!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 04:04:55 PM »
I like it all ! Very interesting the mixture weathering and anodizing.

The story good too.. Both are great jobs.

Offline garymorris2

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • grey jedi
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 10:02:28 PM »
Seeing a lot a cool etching lately this one is amazing as well 😀

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 03:10:48 PM »
As you can probably tell, I am very chuffed with it!

I think a meeting of minds was had over the idea.

As for the story, it's all in the EU up to the re-emergence of Niin as Darth Havok.

I am a few thousand words into the story which begins with a Jensaarai apprentice who is unable to build a saber, because whatever he does the crystal rejects him.
But he feels a call in The force (this saber in its non-shiny red form) and is forced to go on a quest to find what it is that calls to him.

He ends up a stronger and wiser man!

Offline bruno1067

• Padawan Learner
  • Size matters not
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 08:24:36 AM »
Hm... Very interesting. Got me very intrigued about your fanfic!

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 08:28:28 AM »
Awesome saber and back story! I love the ancient look of the saber and the engravings are very cool also.

Offline jamesjynus

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 01:55:07 PM »
That is very sweet!

retrousse