fiduciary

Author Topic: Looking for an angled micro USB  (Read 1191 times)

Offline OwenSkywalker

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Looking for an angled micro USB
« on: February 01, 2020, 04:57:37 AM »
Hey all, can anyone offer a recommendation for a USB data cable wwith a 90 degree micro connector?  I've spotted a couple, but it's not clear if they're for data or just charging.  Thanks!

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
Re: Looking for an angled micro USB
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 05:00:37 PM »
Have you checked digikey, mouser, adafruit? And what type of usb?

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 05:28:38 PM »
Ah I just read the title. Micro it is. Found a few on amazon. Just add phrases like high speed transfer, transfer rate, data transfer, etc they'll pop up.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 11:13:55 AM »
For what purpose are you looking for this cable? Your best bet might to just make your own if clearance is an issue.  I like these ones, because they are easy to solder.  Keep in mind it is very easy to lever off the USB port on your saber board.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 01:45:10 PM »
JBK - did you have a recommendation on the parts to make your own?  Also, what do you mean by lever off the USB port on the board?

Any tricks to make them ESD safe?  I saw a comment in one of the CFX no swing threads that Erv thinks the gyro and gyro cap might have been fried by ESD from the USB port. I have been thinking again about doing what the op suggests.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 03:46:17 PM »
I cannot comment on anything from Plecter, but I have never had any issues.  You could potentially put a ferrite core for suppression of transients but the efficacy may be dubious. 

You can easily pry the port off by the application of pressure through an extended beam acting across the fulcrum of the solder connections to pull the port off the board.  It's the nature of micro USB ports, not a commentary on the quality of any particular board.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 05:57:37 PM »
I have been thinking about this since the first CFX I did in September, and had not contemplated pulling the port off and wiring the extension off the board. My thought was a super low profile micro usb that I plug into the port and then mount the other end on the chassis like we do recharge ports.

Maybe Erv will detail a hack to remove the port and wire the extension...similar to the CF9 3.7v hack. I feel like this could also become redundant if part of the solve for the usb ESD issue is to enable the same RICE and mass storage access via Bluetooth. No more need to connect ESD generating computers if we can do everything over the air!

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 07:10:41 PM »
I mean that if you are cramming a usb into a tight space you can accidentally ruin the board and damage it, I do not recommend removing the port.

retrousse