fiduciary

Author Topic: "PONDERA RECIDIVUS" by Cannibal869  (Read 2711 times)

Offline cannibal869

• I dub thee Darth..........Lecter.
  • Master Force User
  • NUCLEAR POWERED JEDI at work!!!
"PONDERA RECIDIVUS" by Cannibal869
« on: July 20, 2010, 12:56:24 AM »
HELLO SABERLAND!!!

NUCLEAR JEDI SABERS is proud to present to you PONDERA RECIDIVUS! 

You know how you just can't keep a good jedi or sabersmith down?  Well, to make a long story short, I have recovered about 90% function after my herniated disc.  I still have some numbness in my left thigh, but the doctors say that it should improve over time.  For the time being, I'm grateful to have my mobility back.   I'm also incredibly grateful to my wife for taking care of me over the last month, while I was recovering.  We got married a few weeks ago, and luckily, the nerve inflammation was controlled enough that we were able to get through our first dance and I was even able to stand and sit for most of the night.  For that reason I dedicate this saber to my beautiful wife!  As I have found my function restored and better balance in my mobility, so too does the saber name reflect the fact that now I have "balance restored". 

So.... this saber was an interesting and fun build for me.  It's actually been sitting near completion for the past week - I was waiting for a shipment of slow change RGB LEDs and then realized this morning that I already had one on hand that I could scavenge.  So I worked on the saber today since I had the day off and am very pleased with the results.  I also figured that since I actually do make a lot of sabers - with a handful of padawan sabers that have gone to my friends' kids - that I should start my own "label" as it were... hence I proudly present NUCLEAR JEDI SABERS.  Kinda fitting considering my line of work (in real life - yes, I deal with radiation).   

Well, enough jibber jabber... onto the specs:

MHS based saber with custom sink tube shroud
Grooves powder coated in "purple starlight"
Sink tube shroud powder coated in "solar rain"
10W RGBA LedEngin main LED with blue and red driven by
TCSS 3W LED Driver and
Amber CLASH FLASH (via NPN transistor)  <***NO CF BOARD!!!***>
5V regulator powering Hasbro 2010 Electronic Lightsaber Obi-Wan board
5mm RGB slow change accent LED beneath the bubble strip
5mm purple accent LED beneath the "faux crystal slit"
Momentary activation switch
2 latching switches (one for the master power and one for the amber die)
2 Trustfires
30 in. TCSS heavy white blade tube with 5-6 ft of polypropylene and bullet tip

The saber itself has some Anakin and Mace influence and a part of me feels that some of the inspiration also comes from watching ROTJ where Vader is finally redeemed through Luke (and balance is finally restored to the force, as was prophesized in Ep. I).  I decided to have a little bit of a "fire" motif in certain parts of the saber.  For instance, the metal around the "crystal slit" has been burnished so that it has a bit of a flame-like look to it.  I also decided to use the amber as a clash flash accent to showcase two things - the fire and pain that Anakin / Vader lived through, and my own pain from the herniated disc (which often felt like a deep searing pain in my thigh along my L2 nerve distribution).  That and the green for some reason didn't want to play nice with the wiring setup I was using. 

Onto the glams!

And of course, the obligatory video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7k_g9io80A

Enjoy!!
-C

Offline Rafalema

• Master Force User
  • Dancin' with da polar bears
Re: "PONDERA RECIDIVUS" by Cannibal869
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 01:15:24 AM »
Beautiful saber!

Not maybe my style, but it's still a beauty!

And now sir, would be the time to share the clash flash PNP transistor diagram  ;D
Through Passion, I gain Strength
The Assassin - MHS Custom, CFv5.6

Offline vulcan fox

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 03:22:23 AM »
very nice, the emmiter section looks brilliant and the control box has a really detailed functional look,great build.

Offline ElbE121

• Force User
  • Snowboarding addict
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 04:21:22 AM »
Great looking saber, I really like the slow change in the bubble strip!

And now sir, would be the time to share the clash flash PNP transistor diagram  ;D

second that!

Offline Race Spiro

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 05:20:47 AM »
Great looking saber.  Looks very petit and deadly...like something a Twi'lek jedi would use.  Nice lines and shroud. 

Race

I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. ~ Tolkein

Offline pneumoniaprone

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 05:55:47 AM »
Very nicely done.

Offline wookieecrisp

• Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee Win!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 08:03:04 AM »
Lots of purple! ;D Nice job; I love the grips! ;)

Offline Big Boss

• Formerly known as phophjoph
  • Master Force User
  • there is only room for one Snake and one Big Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 09:24:07 AM »
Nice saber! its good that you have recovered as well and started making lightsabers :)

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."-The Boss

"Be like a duck. Calm on the surface, but always paddling like the dickens underneath"-Michael Caine

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 11:26:29 AM »
The amber clash flash looks great with the saber.  I am glad as well that you have recovered most of your mobility.

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline cannibal869

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 11:54:03 AM »
Thanks guys for all the comments - in the words of Robert Downey Jr., "It's good to be back!"  ;D

I'll try to post up a wiring schematic but it should be fairly similar to the thread over at TCSS...
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=10274&highlight=flash+hasbro

-C

Offline Koza

• Shoop Da Woop!
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 03:48:35 PM »
Awesome! I love it!

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 06:01:11 PM »
 :o :o

wow that saber's a beauty!! :o

Offline cannibal869

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 10:26:51 PM »
OK here's the wiring schematic I used....

a few notes:  it's not terribly elegant... and I never did quite figure out how to get rid of the accent LED latching switch.  The master power switch can be replaced with a kill key type system if you wish.
Oh and apparently, Tim no longer sells the 3W LED driver V2 in the store - probably cause he's busy trying to design something better.

If you'll notice, I have the activation momentary switch located right next to the accent latching switch, so it's actually not all that hard to turn on both one after the other.  Again, not terribly elegant and for that I apologize.  

One last thing, the tactile momentary switches that Tim sells in the store can actually turn on both the hasbro board and the LED driver board at the same time - just have to get the wires correct (I think it only works one way).   Also, you don't need the clash sensor on the driver board since you now have the accent LED going through the NPN.

retrousse