fiduciary

Author Topic: A trip down memory lane  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Sabermach TB

• No Force
  • Greetings from Sabermach
    • Sabermach
A trip down memory lane
« on: April 26, 2019, 06:22:37 PM »

Anyone still remeber this sound board?

Crystal Focus Core V3. Nov 2007. It is so huge compared to the soundboards of today. Technology has come a long way.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 06:25:42 PM by Sabermach TB »

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
Re: A trip down memory lane
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 06:32:31 PM »
Yes, I have a couple of old 2.61’s laying around. They’re retired now.

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline Sabermach TB

• No Force
    • Sabermach
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 06:37:03 PM »
I wonder if anyone actually has the entire collection of old sound boards since the beginning.

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 11:57:05 PM »
Anyone still remeber this sound board?

I do  :cheesy:

Crystal Focus Core V3. Nov 2007. It is so huge compared to the soundboards of today. Technology has come a long way.

it's not that huge compared to a CFv8 or 9. Raw size comparison can hardly be made between boards that don't have the same features or parts on them. The CF had a current regulator (and a bulky inductor to go with it), accent pads etc. When you compare for instance with a Nano most of those pads are gone and there's no regulator.
Still, size was mostly then "dictated" by the SD card at that time and components were not as small as what I would use today because I soldered them by hand and didn't have a pick and place machine. They are also quite spaced for that reason.

I wonder if anyone actually has the entire collection of old sound boards since the beginning.

I do ! (with a couple of exceptions). I kept most of the boards, at least one of them, sometimes a dead customer board swapped a brand new one. A friend of mine framed a V2.63 for the first 1500 units made/sold total.

Those 32MB are "special". I got a hard time sourcing many SDs for a proper price back in the day. I found a company in the US but their shipping calculator was so wrong that buying a few of those  would lead to 10 grands shipping due to the card packaging.
The guy was nice enough to set them aside for me and I visited the company during a trip for a conference at NYU where I was presenting. I recall getting out of JFK and finding my way to Ronkonkoma by train, fresh out of the plane and not knowing the details of that transportation. They stripped all the SDs from the packaging and I paid in their office via paypal then headed back to NYC with 300 cards like a smuggler   :cheesy:
(I paid the guy a proper dinner in town before leaving)

Nice memories !

Offline Sabermach TB

• No Force
    • Sabermach
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 09:59:06 AM »
Hi Irvin,

Thanks for sharing your story. Hopefully one day you will frame up all your soundboards. I bet it will make a very interesting display.

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 11:47:33 AM »
Hi Irvin,

Thanks for sharing your story. Hopefully one day you will frame up all your soundboards. I bet it will make a very interesting display.

I'm fairly sure it's been done already. Someone is probably playing darts on it with my face printed in the middle  :cheesy:

Offline Katarn

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 07:47:16 AM »
I still have a saber with petit crouton 1.3 that MH flashed to 1.5 still going strong in my hero converted korbanth LS6 by greivous!
That's one heck of a peice of throwback saber tech!
Most impressive feature is FOC lol
Korbanth LS6 Hero PC 1.6 conversion by LDM (next best thing to the MkVI)
TCSS MHS #1 "Coppertop"
Vintage Graflex ANH

retrousse