fiduciary

Author Topic: Circle of the Force Reimagined by LDM  (Read 2157 times)

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
Circle of the Force Reimagined by LDM
« on: August 12, 2014, 09:48:25 PM »
Circle of the Force, that which was old made new by LDM
A long time ago...well, 2006-2007 at any rate, Color change sabers were a novelty.  They didn't really exist in great quantities, except for the R 616.  This saber was the first color changer that I did.  It had full 616 electronics in it and the ability to change between a green blade and a TruPurple blade.  Yes, this is the saber in which TruPurple was born.  At that time, sinktube sabers were top-of-the-line and the master of all was Jay-Gon Jin (or Qiu-Gon Jin on Fx, lol).  I started a line of chrome sink tube sabers, and by line I mean a group of related sabers that I built for myself, called "Chrome Custom" and numbered 1...2...3 and so on.  This saber is CC1.  It has remained untouched in my collection all of this time.  I have stared at it.  It has taunted me.  I wanted it to be better.  I knew it could and should be better.  I also knew it's spirit must remain.  Originally, it had a 'big-a$$ed" pommel.  It had to retain that.  The original sinktube shrouds had to stay.  The original choke and blade holder had to stay.  The screw/finial greeblies had to stay.  It had to have a box...the old one was plastic from the 616, so I wanted to junk it.  Color scheme was a sticking point.  I wanted to change it.  I wanted "gold" or brass, in this case.  But what went with it?  Did I take the tired and true road with black and gold?  That certainly would fit the era that this saber is from, but no.  I said I wanted it to be modern and better, so I settled on steel blue and gold.  It is AWESOME.  I also love suspended things.  Suspended shrouds, and in this case, a suspended box.  The original saber was cutting edge, so this one had to have something cool at the very least.  I went for a hidden aux switch...hidden in plain sight that is.  The second button-head screw on the box is actually a spring actuated aux switch and it is trick (ahhh, the magic of 20 grand worth of machines, lol).  Nothing on the saber was left aluminum colored.  Everything is PC'd in trans gold, blue steel or simply polished brass/steeled chrome.  The pommel I mentioned?  It is a full custom.  Made from an MHS blank and modeled loosely after Leia's pommel in the EU.  It sports a really cool solid brass Rebellion pommel insert that looks great next to a polished brass CT wheel.  A blue ring AV switch is also a classic cue that harkens to this sabers origins/contemporaries.  Under the hood, she is replete with a shiny new CSv2.  Blade colors?  Not the original Green and TruPurple.  I wanted to make them a representation of what the saber is now. Sooo...how about steel blue and golden yellow?  RICE-mixed to foot the bill.  The FoC to go with the yellow is a great TruPurple as an homage to the original hilt.  All-in-all, I am very pleased (if not verbose) as to how she came out.  She is bright, she is loud, she still is a color-changer and she has great gestural recognition ;) Will she remain in my collection?  Who knows.

The Particulars:

Circle of the Force gutted and detail re-machined hilt
CSv2
9W RGB (SteelBlu/Golden Yellow blades, Ice/TruPurple FoC's)
3.7V Li-ion (18650, 2200 mAh)
Recharge/kill in Easy-Spin (real brass Rebellion insert)Custom-machined Pommel
Steel Blue and Trans Gold Powder Coating
Brass Covertech Wheel
H.I.P.S. Aux Switch
TCSS HO speaker holder w/LDM 28mm HO speaker

The BMT (current first and Original Second):

The OG Saber

The Glams:

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
Re: Circle of the Force Reimagined by LDM
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 11:02:50 PM »
haha, this is so cool! #loveretro

Newer peeps in the hobby have NO IDEA how cool sink tube sabers were back in the day. Think of them as "Classics than just don't lose their flavor". The first custom saber I ever owned was Brass Saber #14 by QUI-GON-JINN and I think back to that with fondness. They're tough, plenty roomy for any electronics and ample battery solution, and are dueling workhorses.

Glad you had a chance to rebuild her and make her even better. Bravisimo!

Offline ScrimpyPIE

• Experienced Force User
  • Guardian's Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 05:22:51 AM »
haha, this is so cool! #loveretro

Newer peeps in the hobby have NO IDEA how cool sink tube sabers were back in the day. Think of them as "Classics than just don't lose their flavor". The first custom saber I ever owned was Brass Saber #14 by QUI-GON-JINN and I think back to that with fondness. They're tough, plenty roomy for any electronics and ample battery solution, and are dueling workhorses.

Glad you had a chance to rebuild her and make her even better. Bravisimo!

I agree wholeheartedly. Well done, Marc!  :))
"Use the fork, Luke!"

"Are they friendly?" - Obi-wan Kenobi
"Depends... On how good your manners are;
and how big your  'pocket-book' is. - Dexter Jettster

Lightsaber collection-
US Raven
Mhs-based Luke RoTJ
Rebellion KotOR run x2
(Original: violet)
(Second-hand: sky blue)
OM/LDM Lego saber run
LDM Custom "Quobi"
GenesisCustom Ascend CF6 run
GenesisCustom Badaxx "Browncoat"
Personal saber "Illum" by Simpi-gon Sims
"Primum V2" by Darthvix/LDM

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 12:26:35 PM »
Thanks fellas.  Yeah, the sinktubes in this case are simply shrouds.  I could have chosen standard aluminum shrouds, but thought the color scheme would be set off better this way.

retrousse