fiduciary

Author Topic: Anyone done pepakura before?  (Read 22912 times)

Offline Clark Kent

• Master Force User
Re: Anyone done pepakura before?
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2012, 12:57:05 PM »
good work bro, very nice. cant wait to see it fully on and in action  :D

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2012, 02:54:59 PM »
well, apparently the thigh straps magically shifted how they sit on me between the 8000 times I tried on the chest/back with the thighs and now.  so after spending a frustrated (x 10 ^ 23) 30 minutes trying to get the chest to close and stay closed I sent my family on the way to go to the party without me.  I don't have time to waste showing off an incomplete costume when the real deadline is 5 days away.  I'm sitting here trying to stop blowing steam out of my ears before I do anything stupid.  one thing is for sure though, I'm not wasting my time trying to work with these padded undersuits when tolerances are already tight.  I'm just going straight under armor top and bottoms and I'll pad my pieces where needed.  quite frankly I'm trying to plan my attack for keeping the stupid shins and boot tops in place and I've got nothing.  well I'm gonna go stare at the trouble pieces for a while and hopefully come up with a solution.  I don't know what else to do at this point. 

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2012, 10:00:56 PM »
okay, that last question still stands, but I'm posting some pics now of the completed (for the purposes of H4 release) suit.  for obvious reasons, I wasn't going to wear the boots that had already been worn outside on my bedroom carpet, but you'll have plenty of pics of them at the release.  it's just another part that makes walking more akward.  that's all.  Before I unveil the pics, I'd like to thank a few people for helping me through this build.  Longshot-X for the motivation, lots of build tips, and answering questions I had IN MY OWN THREAD!  CEREAL_KILL3R (I think i got that right) for the inspiration to add things like the armor lock and the weird details on the tops of the power cells.  Carpathiavh for numerous tips and more motivation to add details to the chest.  And many others but I just don't want to write a novel at 1:00AM.  If you helped me at some point, you know who you are, and I couldn't have gotten here without you.  Shown below is the creation that was born of about $800 and about 3000 hours (those 10 scrapped pieces at the beginning of the build were about half of that).  It was well worth every cent and every second.  I had the whole suit on for about 10 minutes before I even saw myself in a mirror, and when I finally did, I had to reattach my jaw.  that wasn't so hard since it was still in my helmet, but it definitely dropped.  unfortunately, it seems the chest battery (front) was low so the leds were dim.  and I have to remove some padding on the forearms so I can slide them up a little further, but other than that, I'm really pleased with the suit.  I'm puzzled as to how I'm suddenly wider with straps that don't add any thickness to me in any position and I'm debating whether trimming some of the "above arm" areas on the backpack will help the chest seat a little better and fit a little looser but as with all armor, this needs its own tweaks and they will get done in due time.  In the mean time, allow me to introduce Spartan "Shotgunsfury117"

looks like I have a straggling strap there.  I'll be fixing that. 

as an answer to Longshot-X's "Darth Chief" I present "Jedi Master Chief". 

my game face (best I could muster after seeing myself suited up anyway)

How I really feel. 

I just keep thinking how I can't believe I actually built that with my own hands.  I was always the sucky one in art class, 3d art (or art for those who can't draw) in high school, and even projects for school.  But after seeing this, my limits are only what I can imagine.  I'm truly ecstatic at what I've accomplished and you can bet I'll be the first one in line for halo 4 on monday.  I tend to rant when I get tired, so that's all for now.  Shotgunsfury117 over and out.

Offline Dark Underlord

• Formerly known as bk_renesis
  • Force User
  • The Darkness is calling me...
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2012, 12:13:57 AM »
I don't post much at all, but been following this for a while now. Definitely deserves a big well done bro, looks freaking epic.

Cheers,

Baz.

"The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi."―Darth Sidious

Offline DarthCaedus

• Formerly known as initiatedark
  • Experienced Force User
  • those darn walking carpets....
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2012, 07:43:17 AM »
looks awesome alex!! great work, and i'm sure that'll be a crowd pleaser if you go to a midnight launch for Halo 4! :D

Hang on to your hate. It will help you endure. I couldn't hate, and it nearly destroyed me

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2012, 10:21:36 AM »

Major props on your fine work AG!!

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world!

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2012, 01:37:31 PM »
Wow! I've seen the work that's gone into this and the result is fantastic. Well done and thanks for sharing the process and progress!

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
Re: Anyone done pepakura before? *My adventures as Master Chief*
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2013, 03:44:28 PM »
So, some of you may have not seen this before (though I would imagine it's just anyone new, since this thread did have a bazillion posts in it), and I've got just a couple more pics to add to it. 

My sister's high school had their homecoming football game last night, and I went as Master Chief.  It was super hero night, and she was bummed that she didn't have anything to dress up as, so I figured that I would just go as a dry run for next friday (big costume contest). 

The top comments for the night were

1: obviously "can I/we take a picture with you?"
2: Will it hurt you if I punch you?
3: Will it hurt if you punch me?
4: How much did that cost?
5: You didn't really build that
6: how long did it take to make that?

I only had one kid that was a jerk and tried to punch the chestplate as hard as he could.  I think he almost crapped himself when I grabbed his forearm in mid punch to stop him.  I was surprised I was fast enough in the suit, but I didn't have any more problems from him the rest of the night.  He walked away rubbing his forearm with a look of disbelief on his face. 

I handed my dad the camera, and it wasn't until the end when I asked that he told me he hadn't taken any pictures.   :-\  but, I made him snap a few so I could see how everything was fitting. 

This was a very successful test run.  It's the first time I've worn the suit out since I started p90x in january or february (can't remember).  I only mention that because this is a suit of armor that was built to fit me when I was a 44" chest, 40" waist, 210lbs, and 5'10".  well, I didn't grow any, but I'm now a 42.5" chest, 31" waist, and weighing in at 171lbs, so nothing fits the same on the suit.  This run showed me that I'm going to have to add lots of straps to hold everything up and in place if I'm going to be walking around an 18+ club for the costume contest this friday.  I do have a "bouncer" going with me to help keep the stupid people at bay, but it's always a risk going out in the suit.  The ignorance of 75% of the people that approach me is incredible. 

From the run, I came up with a list of things that were going wrong.

1: The shoulders kept falling backwards every time I lifted my arm and the straps lost tension
2: the shin pieces will not stay up by themselves no matter how tight the strap that goes around the back of my knee is.  they slide down with any amount of walking
3: My thigh suspenders would slide away from my neck every time I'd walk or bend down slightly. 
4: The right boot was giving me a chafe of epic proportions
5: the helmet lights need to have a hidden switch that is accessible to my gloved hands on the outside of the helmet
6: The boot top covers need to have some kind of locking mechanism that keeps them in place when I walk.  Velcro was okay for 2:00AM on halo 4 release day, but it's not good       enough long term
7: The li-ion cell in the backpack didn't take a charge, so it probably needs replaced. 

If you really look back through this thread, you'll see that I had originally planned to use a pressure suit under the armor.  that would serve as both the anchor point that doesn't move and the visible sections between armor plates.  That pressure suit wound up not fitting me with the suit, so I just used plain under armor.  Well, after last night's run, I realized the shoulders on the suit were going to be a huge problem no matter how I strapped them (even like pauldrons, they would still rotate front to back if I lifted my arms).  Then it hit me, maybe I fit the armor with the pressure suit now.  So I tried it on, and sure enough, I fit into the armor with the added padding of the pressure suit.  So I made some quick work of dremeling some slots into the shoulder pads of the pressure suit, and strapped the shoulder plates of the armor through those slots. 

Now, that takes care of problem #1 as well as problem #3, and here's why.  The thigh suspenders can be threaded underneath the shoulder straps and that prevents them from sliding too far away from my neck. 

Next on the list is problem #2.  I'm thinking a pair of straps running down either side of my knees to keep vertical tension on the shins will solve it.  For the rest of the problems, I've got ideas, but that will cover the big ones.  The chafe can be solved with athletic tape if necessary. 

Backing up a little ways, I made (with lots of help from my mom, credit where it's due) a duct tape dummy to display the suit proudly in my room when I'm not wearing it. 

there's the frame

and that's how the suit looks when on display.  looks better on me (probably because the duct tape dummy is actually wider than I am everywhere and it has no joints), but it's so cool to be able to display the suit. 

Now, long term, I do have plans for a battle rifle with blaster core and color mini screen, as well as a voice core, but that stuff is going to be towards the release of halo 5. 

More to come after my thermo exam on monday!  Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 04:56:48 PM by Alex Gordon »

Offline coolhanluked

• Experienced Force User
  • Let the wookie win!
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2013, 05:44:35 PM »
Wow! All I can say is Epic!! You did a really wonderful job on your suit.  ;D
ANH: Obi, Luke,Vader real parts
ESB: Luke,Vader real parts
ROTJ Luke HERO,V2,Stunt custom made,Vader 90%
EP1 visual dictionary Praco Yoda real parts x2
King Sol coin edge bottom/Heiland ESB Vader
Custom rep Obi real clamp modern armatage HW
Han ESB DL-44 denix rep real greebs no scope
Parks graflex nickel crystal chassis CFLS6 Mokoto V3+blade
Parks Vader hyper set up
Vintage graflex hyper set up
Prodigal son re milled CF4.7 lux 5
Vintage graflex ESB Plasma argon w/murcury
Vintage mpp Plasma neon

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2013, 08:35:45 AM »
well everyone, tonight is the costume contest.  everyone wish me luck! 

« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 03:09:46 PM by ANAKIN SKYWALKER »

Offline theta03

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2013, 11:09:28 AM »
Nice work, I always wanted to do an armor, but never got around to it, nor do I really have the time yet.

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
Re: Anyone done pepakura before? *Master Chief got a new toy*
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2014, 05:40:29 AM »
So I finally got a public appearance appropriate weapon.  I've been too timid to get an AR or BR because it just looks too realistic.  That pretty much left me with an energy sword.  Luckily, I came across a nice fellow who makes an accurate halo 3 sword shell, and the electronics kit that was available was good enough that it made me not want to reinvent the wheel and put a CF-LS in it.  Unfortunately, the electronics aren't compatible with a nano biscotte the way that it had been discussed, so I've got a lot of work to do in order to put sound in this thing. 

I'll try to get a video showing the scroll effect, but it has 46 (i think) individual segments, which makes the scrolling effect quite nice, but since it uses something called "neopixels" it ends up only needing 3 wires per half of the sword instead of 47. 

I need to probably crack into the arduino and do some coding myself to make this work the way that I want it to, but as is it is pretty good. 

Anyway, those pics were really quick (only had about 10 minutes to throw on the upper half of my suit for the pics before I had to get back to my homework) but there will be better ones coming. 

retrousse