fiduciary

Author Topic: The non-martial arts  (Read 27795 times)

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
  • Many tentacles the dark side has
    • My Youtube channel
Re: The non-martial arts
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2016, 07:16:11 PM »
Spin Wars 2016: Call for videos

Hello Sabering community. As 2016 comes to a close, the air has gone cold, the decorations are in the windows, and it is time once again for people who love showing off with LED sabers to come together and show the community what you learned over the last year.

That's right, it is time for Spin Wars: Episode 3!!!

Simply put, most of us here tend to do our own things. We do choreographed fights, martial arts demos, spinning routines, costume work, etc. What if there was a way to get several of those things into one project that would showcase a wider picture of what we, as a community, do with lightsabers? That is what Spin Wars did last 2 years. For anyone unfamiliar, the archived videos are here.

Saber Collaborative Montage 2014 - YouTube
Spin Wars: Episode II - YouTube

So what about this year? Anyone willing to volunteer, post a video in which you show us your saber work. You can choreograph a fight, you can give us spinning, you can film some freeform work, you can do it with lit or unlit blades, in costume or in plain clothes, outside, inside, or on green screen. This footage will be edited together into a montage. This year like last, if there are enough people interested,we may even look at two videos (a light side and a dark side). Preliminary interest tells me we may be able to make this happen this time around.

The criteria:

1. For editing and theme purposes, the video should be designed to accompany a piece of music posted below. Please have the music playing in the video so that I can hear it in the background for timing. If you record it without the music or while the music was playing through headphones, please attach the music track to it before you post.

2. Your video must include a lightsaber and be something recognizable as "a performance".

3. Your content should not violate youtube or forum rules.

The details:

If you are interested, please post and say so. Also please indicate if you will considering yourself dark side or light side for this performance. The initial interest will help determine if we are doing one video or two but I will operate as if we are doing 2 until the situation proves otherwise. When you have a video, please post it here. I can rip things from youtube without a problem for editing. Please include the name or moniker you would like to appear in the credits. If you have a signature move, pose, or other brief trademark, please post it as a separate video or still image as you would like it to appear in the credits. If none is submitted, I will use a short clip from your routine. If you have a youtube channel or web link, post it and I will include it in the description. Please try to submit material as soon as you are able. I would like to start editing in mid December with a video release on Youtube around the first of the year.

The Music:

We will be going with the music selections from last year since we did not end up using them and they are good tracks.

The Dark Side track is "Dark Side from Dyman
Dyman - Dark Side | Audiosurf - YouTube
Download mp3 here
Dyman - Dark Side | Jamendo Music | Free music downloads

The light side is Return of the Jedi (order 66 cut) by Darth & Vader
[DUBSTEP] Darth & Vader - Return of the Jedi (I.Y.F.F.E 's Order 66 Remix) -
mp3 can be found on http://daimp3.net
search for "darth & vader - return of the jedi order 66"

Additional notes and disclaimers:

This is not a professional video and my channel is not monetized so there is no profit being made. This is by and for those who are willing to donate time and energy to make it happen. I will have to decide what makes it in and what does not. I will attempt to give everyone equal time (provided they submit a long enough clip to accomplish this). We are only working with 6 minutes between the two videos. I will try to include everyone, and if too many people are interested to do that, I will try to make a second cut. This may have to come out after the first though. If you have a favorite segment, feel free to let me know the time range and I will do what I can, but no promises. Other than that, feel free to discuss and ask questions if you wish. If there is anything I can do to help you put together a submission, let me know. Otherwise, happy sabering and let's make this one a good one to cap off the first trilogy.

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2016, 04:15:16 PM »
Most recent look at free form flying single saber. This one contains a single hand reel I have  been working on in addition to more polished versions of the moves from the earlier videos. It also includes a couple of those jump strikes I was working on.  I liked the way it went to the music.
Flying saber dancing 11/16 - YouTube
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 04:18:56 PM by Darth Cephalus »

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2016, 09:08:37 PM »
So I shot mine yesterday. First though, this is the long cut of the footage. I had the song on repeat so I ended up shooting about 15 minutes. This is the best 7 minutes. There were a lot of neat tricks in here but only so much room in the final cut. Even less in the final edit.
Spin Wars 2016: Long Cut - YouTube
This is the short version to the music. This demonstrated my flying saber with an echo effect added. I am pretty happy with it.
Spin Wars 2016: Dark Side Submission - YouTube

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2016, 09:11:56 AM »
Most impressive!

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2016, 08:23:44 PM »
Messing around with lightsabers again and I made this. The ground was wet, so I could pull off some foot pivots on the wet brick that I can't usually do. I also liked the way the water reflected the saber light.
Spin Wars 2016: alternate light side submission - YouTube

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2016, 05:47:42 PM »
So with just a few more days left to submit videos, I figured I would post a quick reminder and an update. As a reminder, the unofficial deadline for submissions is the 20th. If you have something coming and let me know, I can fudge it a bit, but I will start making the montage on the 20th so try not to do that to me if you can help it. For the update, here is what we have so far. For those who submitted more than one video for a single side, please tell me which you want to use or if I should just cut the two together. If I don't hear an answer before I start working, I will default to the second option. Thanks to all the people who submitted. This is shaping up to be the busiest spin war to date, and it was made possible...by viewers like you. Sorry, that was a bit PBS, but I could not help myself.
Light side
Cephalus
Spin Wars 2016: alternate light side submission - YouTube
Samhain
Light Side spin wars submission - YouTube
Thunder blade
Midnight Lightsaber Training - YouTube
Hazard
Spin Wars 2 - YouTube
Son of Hazard
Spin Wars 1 - YouTube
Ryan
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvxC6lvA9Es
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRkVByEQj1w
Timotius
www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7zCiPYvgjw&feature=youtu.be

Dark side
Ryan
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeFlQsKW4-k
Cephalus
www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3jjo2Gagv8
Venturous
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZwKbCjKi1Y
Enso
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBja6wwN16I
Samhain
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL-qaOiA2Z8
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LtOQGvXD4o&feature=youtu.be

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2016, 02:05:54 PM »
The videos are shot, the editing is done, and now they can be enjoyed; just in time for the new year. Spin Wars 2016  year in review. These videos are the result of an open submission call for videos on various saber forums. The following montage blends footage from 14 different submissions featuring saber spinning in different weapon combinations to music. Videos taken during 2016. This year, because of the turnout, we had enough for a light side and dark side video. In honor of Rogue One, the dark side video is structured as "A Spin Wars Story" while the light side is offered as "Episode III". For those who may have missed them, I have tagged on the first two years as well. Some of the participants are the same, so track progress, reminisce, or make a mini marathon of it. Thank you to all the participants. Your channel links are included in the video description on youtube and your names are in the credits at the end. Happy New Year... and Happy Sabering.

SPIN WARS: Episode III - YouTube

Darkness Rising: A Spin Wars Story - YouTube

Spin Wars: Episode II - YouTube

Saber Collaborative Montage 2014 - YouTube

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2017, 08:14:01 PM »
Man it has been a while since I got back on the tutorial train. This one is a sort of palate cleanser to ease me back in. As I was test driving my new crossguard, I got to wondering what could be done with it. After a bit of poking and prodding, I shot a brief video on adapting to it and what moves were easy to do, which were hard, and which were very hard. I even threw in a couple quick ones that really only look good with a crossguard. I did not cover finger rolls. This was an oversight. I can tell you though that they go in the very hard section. YouTube

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2017, 03:29:16 PM »
This is a new thing I am trying to pick up. It involves tossing the saber from the outstretched right hand and catching it behind or slightly over the head with the left. I picked this up from a M. C. Smith video. I am trying to carry it through into other moves. This footage comes from my second practice session with this move.

YouTube

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2017, 10:18:58 PM »
So I was struck by a couple questions. Can you dual wield crossguard lightsabers? Yes! Are they heavy AF? Yes! Do you end up hitting yourself with the quillions? Not if you hold them right. This is a collection of clips from a 15 minute practice session. Hope you enjoy.
YouTube
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 10:30:11 PM by Darth Cephalus »

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2017, 08:45:52 PM »
A bit of spinning in costume for my niece and nephew’s autumn school fair. For those who watch to the end, I can confirm that no one was injured.
YouTube

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2017, 08:06:19 PM »
Some spinning in my Darth Nihilus costume. Wanted to get some video of how it moved and I was out and about in it on Main Street, so why not?
YouTube

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2018, 07:55:25 PM »
Necropost!
Some updates of some of my recent stuff since it has been a while:

First off...Rain
In Oregon, if you don’t practice in the rain, you don’t practice. This was the first time out for my custom etched Darksai from Kaizen Saber. Balance is a bit guard heavy, but a quick little guy nonetheless. Seen here with a Ripper Blades unstable black blade. Beautiful combo.
Rain: Cthulhu Darksaber spin test #1 - YouTube

Next...Sun
If you don’t like the weather in Oregon, just wait a bit. This was my second spin test with my Darksai Cthulhu etched Darksaber from Kaizen Saber. Once again sporting a black unstable blade from Ripper Blades. You can see it gets a bit more air in this one as I get used to the weight.

Sun: Cthulhu Darksaber spin test #2 - YouTube

Next..some contact work
This is a look at some of my recent contact single saber. I start out with the combo I am working on. Then I move on to some fishtail to toss variations. Next is some angel rolls, and finished off with some weird thing (if it has a name, I don’t know it). Yes, yes, I know...the blade makes contact with my arm a few times. If it helps, you can assume my jacket is made of Zillo beast hide.

Contact work with single saber - YouTube

and finally, some in costume freestyle
This was at a costume event I did recently. One of the stormtroopers said "hey, you should do a thing" Before I knew it, they announced me on the stage. I sent someone for my second saber and improvised. True story, this video was filmed by an ewok and was originally performed to a Miley Cyrus song that was playing at the time.
Metallic Sabers - YouTube

retrousse