fiduciary

Author Topic: Carbon fiber stunt blades.  (Read 10514 times)

Offline Yoran Khoor

• Padawan Learner
  • Neither Light or Dark, there only the Force
Carbon fiber stunt blades.
« on: July 17, 2013, 12:28:34 PM »
Hi all.

( If I'm off topic, I will correct)

I am looking for info about the company that did the carbon fiber stunt blades used in Ep3 for their rehearsal.
Apparently they switched from aluminum since Ewan had the bad habbit of bending them 90 degrees during practice .....( and we recomand safe and slow rehearsal....)
It's located in New Zealand and the price seems very fair too ( $20 from 10 units)

I am sure many here want to get those and use thgem in filmed performances , so they can post prod the image and add the glow and sound to the fight afterward.

Since it works like the green screen system, they come in flashy green and red/orange.

Let me know if any of you here might know the company name, I'll investigate and let you guys know.

Thanks!

Y
"You trully know someone after you fought him"
Jedi...Sith? Both are wrong and blind, there is only The Force!
And it's neither good nor evil, it just IS.

Offline Silver Serpent

• Force User
Re: Carbon fiber stunt blades.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 12:51:25 PM »
Near as I can tell, the company is Kilwell Fibretube.  http://www.kilwellfibretube.co.nz/

I managed to find a reference to the manufacturer on swordforum.com.  http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?43538-REAL-lightsaber-blades!!  I was unable to find any additional sites to verify this information, so take it with a grain of salt.

Edit:  I found a few more sites that agree it was Kilwell that produced the carbon fiber blades for Ep3.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:59:11 PM by Silver Serpent »

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 02:49:55 PM »
Yes its Kilwell in NZ who built them for the Prequel Trilogy. Randomsabers used to sell them and I bought one and it is incredibly light - genuinely feels 'weightless' like lightsabers are supposed to be - and amazingly quick handling.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Yoran Khoor

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 10:40:59 AM »
Guys you are awesome !!!!

You can't imagine how happy I am, now I will able to shoot that xxx fightscene and play in postprod to give that perfect blade look!

practicioners of HEMA will like it, it will look very different from the usual kung-fu teinted choreographies, not that it s not epic fights, but I wnat to give another flavor and style to it.

Also the Randomsabers.com website doesn't want to open for me.
I am in Canada, maybe this site is not allowed here?
or are they down?

Thanks again guys , I 'll keep you posted with the first images.
DFor those curious about what my european fencing fights can look like, here is the link to a friend's end year movie project.
My mission was to create a choreography for 3 fights, 2 against 3, in a tiny cone of the shooting frame for a green screen background.
ended up great and everyone was amazed.

( for the details , I had 3 hours to create all that with most of the actors with no experience or so of fencing. It was my first time being a fight coordinator for a professional movie set, and I loved it !!!
So much i'm seriously thinking of doing it for a job XD).

SO , here is the link:

But it's just the first editing done to test the green screen, so forgive the bad transitions and some weird cuts, we shot a lot and there is plenty of material to make it look good and perfectly edited ;P
SO the story happens in a videogame that is also the purgatory; when you see characters freeze and vanish it's because they will disapear in pixel wind after postprod is done.

We had to use rubber weapons and plastic simulators, mostly becasue of the humongus emphasys on safety during any type of fight scene.
I woulds have prefered to use my forged swords but with many actors being total beginners, we didn't take any chance with safety ^^

(Red Fox if you read that, I hope you will join our demo team after you finished your Warrior fondamental classes XD!)

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 11:57:37 AM »
Randomsabers was up a month or so ago but it seems down now...its just where I got mine 'back in the day' lol but you might be able to get them elsewhere now.

This was their blade page when they had the kilwell blades: http://ure-family.com/blades.htm so you can see what they looked like.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:07:06 PM by Onli-Won Kanomi »
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Yoran Khoor

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 01:23:26 PM »
Thanks !!
yes that's what I wanted as stunt carbon blades.
I ve emailed them and will let you know if they still carry them and how many/much we can get.
but its'the ultimate full speed blade ever!

CHeers!

Y

Offline Stiletto

• Padawan Learner
    • SaberWars.com
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 06:37:39 PM »
Sabershop.com also sells carbon-fiber blades (possibly only for their hilts, I'm not sure).
Another fine product from your friends at Corellian Engineering Corporation™.

Offline Yoran Khoor

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 09:59:37 AM »
Thanks Stiletto !!!!

I found what I wanted!! this company is actualy Ryan's from the fan film RvD 1 & 2, apparently^^

Ordered a pair of reds, now I need a cylinder the size of the blade plug we can find.
 Does any one have the mesurement of those plugs?
or better what is the inner diametre and depth of the US, Phoenix and VV and MHS??

they all fit the 1" polycarb blade but I need to find a place to get custom made aluminum plugs, then drill them the width of the carbon stunt blade.
It comes with a hole for a retention screw at the base so with a small allen screw in the plug it should be sturdy enough and then I 'll secure the polug with one of the usual blade screw on the sabers.

It's all in my head  and should work well , if I can find a cheap manufacturer for the aluminum part/plug....

Any of you sabersmith could do that  for a fair price?
I can forward the mesurements, but it's the size of the balde plugs from US with a drilled hole all the way in the center of the plug.

Your ideas and concepts are welcome too!!

thanks!

retrousse