fiduciary

Author Topic: Benefit of wiring neopixel with 9-pin connector  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Rashimotosan

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Benefit of wiring neopixel with 9-pin connector
« on: February 04, 2019, 08:00:22 PM »
I recently purchased 2 kinds of neopixel connectors from someone. One is a 4 pin, the other 9. Trying to figure out what the benefit is for a dual-strip build on a 9 pin connector. I read in Saber Armory that one could use a 9 pin connector for a dual-strip build and add a recharge port using the remaining pins. However I've found nothing on how to set it up that way and wonder even why one would prefer to do that instead of grounding it to the board. Anyone help? (It's my first build).

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: Benefit of wiring neopixel with 9-pin connector
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 06:21:41 AM »
You can charge and program your saber through the adapter. I originated this idea some time ago.  You can also use your blade as an "activation key" which eliminates the need for a kill key.  Universal Pixel Blades & Blade Plugs

I'm not sure what you mean by "grounding it to the board" but the strip will need to draw multiple amps of power.  Some boards are designed to accommodate this, such as the DIYino, others require you to draw power directly to the battery.  Make sure you follow the wiring instructions for your chosen board.

Offline Rashimotosan

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 05:01:28 AM »
You can charge and program your saber through the adapter. I originated this idea some time ago.  You can also use your blade as an "activation key" which eliminates the need for a kill key.  Universal Pixel Blades & Blade Plugs

I'm using an NEC I3 board but there isn't anything on setting it up this way and it's laid out quite a bit different for neopixel than from what you have on the diagram using the TCSS model.

I'm not sure what you mean by "grounding it to the board" but the strip will need to draw multiple amps of power.  Some boards are designed to accommodate this, such as the DIYino, others require you to draw power directly to the battery.  Make sure you follow the wiring instructions for your chosen board.

I probably didn't use the right technical term. Basically rather than soldering the port to the soundboard directly, what were the benefits to doing it to the hilt rather than the board, but you answered that already. It looks like the I3 might be able to accommodate this. How can I tell for sure?

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 06:39:55 AM »
There is a diagram in the igniter manual that shows how to wire for pixel blades. Use the three driver pads just like the other boards, and the indicated data pad. The igniter doesn't seem to have active data ports so I would double up the power lines instead.

Offline Rashimotosan

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 08:32:24 PM »
There is a diagram in the igniter manual that shows how to wire for pixel blades. Use the three driver pads just like the other boards, and the indicated data pad. The igniter doesn't seem to have active data ports so I would double up the power lines instead.

Yeah I saw the manual. Just wasn't sure if there was a benefit to using a 9 pin connector for a dual strip. But seeing as there are only so many data pads probably not possible.

Not sure what you mean by double up power lines tho.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 08:40:25 PM by Rashimotosan »

retrousse