fiduciary

Author Topic: Novastar and Caine's Saber Combat System "NCSCS" (1st COMPLETE System!)  (Read 61857 times)

Offline David Simmons

• Force User
    • Xenobuzz Construction Headquarters
Re: Novastar and Caine's Saber Combat System "NCSCS" (1st COMPLETE System!)
« Reply #180 on: August 08, 2011, 12:04:41 AM »
Excellent, thank you!  Can I get a brief synopsis of it anywhere?  The paypal link won't give me a full description.  All it does is open the order page over and over again.  Lol.

Hey, Keil!

Having personally worked with Novastar as a member of the Golden Gate Knights I can tell you that you should buy the NCSCS dvd if you really want to learn how to use your saber to construct realistic fight choreography.  I own a copy of the dvd and while I haven't watched every tutorial multiple times, my only excuse is pretty good: I get to take instruction from the man himself.  However, as per your request, a brief synopsis:

1.  You will learn basic footwork, a crucial, basic component missing from many fan films.

2.  You will learn the basic attacks from 1-10.

3.  All kinds of other stuff that I cannot specify because Novastar would chastise me for revealing too much about the product!  ;-)

Check out this YouTube video for more details: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwWCRkuI8vE

Just for fun, here's the first piece of choreography that we worked on together, built up over the course of just an hour and a half of class time, once a week since February of this year:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzOmglZ4ybA

Dave S.

"There is no end, no beginning.  There is only the infinite passion of life."  - Federico Fellini

Offline Corran Horn

• Formerly known as Keil Edge
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • CSJ Props an NEC Certified Installer
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #181 on: August 08, 2011, 06:16:55 AM »
Thanks so much for all the info.  That was a big help.  That'll make spending th $40 a lot easier. Flying blind into that may cause my fiancee to give me an even weirder look than practicing with my lightsaber would. Hahaha.

"It's only stupid if we die doing it, otherwise it's heroism." -Corran Horn-

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • NCSCS - Sabercombat.com
    • DIAMOND DRAGONS: Humans stand, heroes fall--but DRAGONS are *Forever*...
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2011, 04:07:15 AM »
Ack!  Sorry I missed the latest posts... things were busy, I suppose.

Yeah... I apologize that there isn't a "direct" synopsis of things yet... there is/was(!) supposed to be some website work going on at sabercombat.com (our NCSCS site, basically), but it hasn't happened.  It's something *I* personally cannot do + do not have the time, sadly.

What I CAN do for future folks is the following:

* Cut & paste what's on the back of the DVD box!  :)
* Link people to the announcement video (which has details in the description portion of the video)
* Edit the initial thread to reflect the above...

So... here ya go:

"Open your mind to an entirely new way to approach saber dueling:  with technology, style, technique... and a simple notational system that  will  revolutionize  writing complex fight choreography  for  demos, events, films… or even just for fun with your closest  friends and co-workers!  Experience NCSCS!  Novastar & Caine’s complete  Saber Combat System!!"

• Saber Spins
    Combat Actions
    Paired Combat Forms
    Patterns & Drills
    Footwork & Exercises
    Martial Arts
    “Tricking” Basics
    “Myth Moves” vs. Reality
    Special Video Extras & Docs
    100 minutes of instruction!

[/i][/b]

Hope that helps!  :)
* Former creator and owner of SaberCombat
* CUSTOM SOUND FONT LIST --->
Click here for Nova's 100+ custom sound fonts!
* PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS ---> Click here for Nova's saber performance work...
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline Corran Horn

• Formerly known as Keil Edge
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • CSJ Props an NEC Certified Installer
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2011, 08:45:29 AM »
Thanks for all of the info. I really appreciate it.  If you're looking for some web development help, I may be able to assist you with that.  My roommate is a programmer.  He may be interested in the job.  Let me know.

"It's only stupid if we die doing it, otherwise it's heroism." -Corran Horn-

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #184 on: August 24, 2011, 12:12:40 AM »
Thanks for all of the info. I really appreciate it.  If you're looking for some web development help, I may be able to assist you with that.  My roommate is a programmer.  He may be interested in the job.  Let me know.
Certainly!  Feel free to message me in PM, or e-mail me... I appreciate the offer.
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #185 on: August 30, 2011, 06:16:48 PM »
I'm curious as to what people understood/enjoyed about DVD1...

Also... keep in mind that DVD2 will be pretty much all HD (if not TOTALLY HD), and will build upon most everything you saw on DVD1.  That's the goal--to use the DVDs as a means to going from "basic" level... to advanced... to expert, depending on how much you're able to practice, with whom (or if alone), etc.

Additionally, I'll be unleashing the sort of "Saber Sparring System" I've been brewing over for the past year or so.  Not to say that people can't do their OWN thing, but... I've covered a LOT of bases with this thing, and... it ought to serve people well for having some general guidelines for sparring to both keep it FUN... and to keep it safe & fair.

Finally... your input?   ;D What kinds of actions would YOU like to see on future DVDs?  I mean, we're covering most every category on the DVDs; again those are:

* Saber Spins (again, we touch on this + identify them--otherwise, for tutorials, get Banditcar's awesome spin tutorials!)
* Saber Basics (these vary, but sometimes cover things like finding the balance of a saber, etc.)
* Combat Forms (as you guys know, our forms are meant to be "paired"... BUT... can be performed "singularly" as well)
* Notation (DVD1 mostly has documents about this, but... you start to see the idea of WRITING THIS STUFF DOWN... in an intelligent/efficient manner)
* Advanced Actions (inverted moves, spinning moves, jumping moves... this sort of thing)
* Drills (both for staged combat AND for actual sparring / "real-time" bouting)
* Basic Martial Arts (basic kicks)
* Basic "Tricking" (which could be considered somewhat advanced MA)
* "Mythbusting" (just for fun!   :) But also to debunk stupid, non-realistic actions--ones that can only "work" in the MOVIES)
* Extras

Btw... we'll start getting into "camera angles" and "audience perspectives" on DVD2.  I left that off of DVD1 since I thought it would have been too much to start thinking about for people trying to grasp so much all at once...

So... are we MISSING anything?  I'm certain you guys could think of something else?  If not... then... GREAT!!  We've got like 98% of the things you could do/want in the "saber fighting world" covered...

Click here.

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #186 on: September 04, 2011, 01:49:17 AM »
Ack... I'm such an IDIOT for not posting a few updates regarding NCSCS and DVD2, etc. here... so... here I goes!!

* I used the NCSCS notational system to begin approaching the notation of the canon SW fights...
* It works FANTASTICALLY!  I can notate / express nearly EVERY move I've seen, and it's really... uh... pretty easy!
* Completed:
   EP IV -- OWK v DV
   EP V -- LS v DV
   EP VI -- LS v DV (#2, I guess)
   EP I -- OWK + QGJ v DM

* Mostly Completed:
   EP III -- OWK v AS (or DV, depends on how you look at it, lol)

I don't yet know if we'll include ALL of these notational documents into NCSCS DVD#2... but you can bet yer favorite LED that SOME of them will indeed be on there!  :)

I'll continue to work on notation as I see fit... although... I *WAS* kinda hoping others would eventually attempt it.  Granted... yeah... if you don't really REALLY grasp the idea of using the way the NCSCS notation works... and if you don't have mastery of the basic targets/numbers... it's going to be about 5x more difficult to notate a fight.

Further, it's almost a "better"(?) experiment for people to create their OWN fight sequence, and then use the system to notate it.  From there, they can attempt other projects and small fight scenes... and go from there.

Anyhow... I'm actually more excited about this than I originally thought, since... umm... I thought it was going to be REALLY tough to try to notate "filmed sequences" into a more "live" way of looking at things.  I was wrong.  HAPPILY wrong!  :)

Click here.

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #187 on: September 04, 2011, 05:02:49 AM »
notation of existing duels  :o :o

AWESOME !

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #188 on: September 04, 2011, 01:39:55 PM »
notation of existing duels  :o :o

AWESOME !

And yes, they can be done with gardening tools too!  ;)

In all seriousness folks, HUGE props to Nova on this. If you are into saberplay at ALL, the blueprints for the fight scenes that got you into liking sabers in the first place are RIGHT HERE.

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #189 on: September 04, 2011, 03:05:28 PM »
Well... maybe not "right here"... I'll probably put some of 'em on DVD#2, heheh.  The rest... IDK... DVD#3?  Not sure.

Additionally, I STILL need to:

* "Leave them be" for a bit, then come back to them and double-check... triple-check... that I didn't miss anything or that I couldn't be "more accurate" with one move or another
* Decide if I "properly" or "acceptably" chose who the designated Attacker & Defender was... and if I didn't--fix that up
* Test most of those out with GGK and/or myself + someone & film a little... just to be sure that certain sections at least SOMEWHAT look similar to what was seen in the films

That all being said--I'm fairly sure there won't be any GLARING issues or "giant holes" with things. 

Click here.

Offline Artorius Vidnyl

• Force User
  • Suns of the Force
« Reply #190 on: September 06, 2011, 06:11:38 AM »
The more we hear about this the more everyone wants it!  Looking forward to learning more, especially the release date once it's set in stone  ;)

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality."
―Qui-Gon

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #191 on: September 07, 2011, 06:21:29 PM »
UPDATES:

* Filmed a good amount of stuff with Alain Bloch ("Deacon Frost", I guess he finally chose a name to go by, heheh!) from GGK for DVD2...
* Filming on Friday with Caine... lookin' fwd to that!
* Looked over some of what I had notation-wise for the SW fight stuff... EP IV... EP V... EP VI... EP I...
* Also...

....WOOT!!!  :)

EP III Choreo = DONE!  :)

Again... wasn't TOO hard with the NCSCS notation... but still.  With all the lava + swinging on the cables + transitional editing due to going from "this scene to that scene"... it made it pretty bloody awkward at times.

Compile that with all the camera angles changing every 3 seconds, and... you have yourself a veritable nightmare trying to keep it all straight...

Worst thing about "translating" AIN'T "the moves"... it's having the actions OBSTRUCTED by... you know... CGI... cam angle... actor bodies... depth perception loss, etc.

Zounds, what a ton of work.  I may wait a while before going on to the Ep II & EP III OWK + AS v CD (or Darth Tyranus or whatever), lol.

But after that... yeah... pretty much DONE.  :)

Click here.

Offline C-3P0

• Formerly known as Dave316
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #192 on: September 09, 2011, 01:06:04 AM »
I know I'm a little behind in the times, but just purchased the first DVD. Really looking forward to checking it out after hearing all the positive feedback from it. Awesome to hear the progress on the second too. Shout out to novastar for the excellent service, a pleasure to deal with!

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #193 on: September 09, 2011, 02:49:49 PM »
Yeah!

Had a great day of filming today, and without giving too much away, I'll just give y'all key words/phrases.

Saberstaff
Duel saber goodness
Tricking/MA stuff

Stay tuned, folks   :)

Offline Artorius Vidnyl

• Force User
  • Suns of the Force
« Reply #194 on: September 09, 2011, 08:32:01 PM »
Just keep tantalizing us with your little hints guys.  It keeps ME coming back for more!

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality."
―Qui-Gon

retrousse