fiduciary

Author Topic: My review on Darth Mauls saber.  (Read 3694 times)

Offline TwistedShiek

• Force User
  • The Twisted Jedi
    • Twisted Effects
My review on Darth Mauls saber.
« on: April 21, 2006, 10:23:24 PM »
Well currently i only have half of it.. .i am buying the other half in 2 weeks... but as of right now i am very impressed about the saber... i like that the blade is a lil thicker which gives you a bit more secrity in knowing will not brake easy... i noticed that the blade is farly snugg in the hilt no wobble which makes me happy.

The brightness is better then Vader ESB  and i honestly believe the sound is much more rich and smooth and evil lol. I have even dueled with the saber and its very nice but takes a bit of getting used to since its a bit more heavy.... well
9.9/10 from me loses .1 becuase i dun have the other half yet heeh

Offline The Professor

• Experienced Force User
  • "I will do what I must"
Re: My review on Darth Mauls saber.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 04:03:12 PM »
Yeah good review.  But Darth Maul's saber just isn't Darth Maul's saber without both ends...lol...make sure you get the other half.
"I don't believe it." -Luke Skywalker
"That is why you fail." -Yoda

Offline todd4566

• Force User
  • I'm thinking.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 12:49:12 PM »
I bought a half Maul yesterday too.  I may pick up the other half, but it would be so long I would have to go outside to mess around with it!   :o   Definitely a nice saber, despite the poop-recycled sounds. 
My collection:
2002 Anakin AOTC
2003 Vader ANH  **Sold**
2004 Luke ESB  **Sold**
2005 Anakin ROTS **Sold**
2005 Vader ESB **Sold**
2005 Luke ROTJ **Sold**
2006 Maul TPM
Custom 5w Luxeon (Green/Royal Blue)
2006 Obi-Wan ROTS  **Sold**
2007 Yoda
2007 Luke ANH
2008 Obi-Wan TPM
2010 Anakin ROTS (Removeable Blade)

Offline The Professor

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 01:13:52 PM »
I bought a half Maul yesterday too.  I may pick up the other half, but it would be so long I would have to go outside to mess around with it!   :o   Definitely a nice saber, despite the poop-recycled sounds. 

Yeah just one half of the Maul is great by itself but you just never get the feeling of Darth Maul without both ends. haha, definitely a must to get both ends if anything I think.  But yes, MR should of been smarter when it comes to sounds because if you think about it 9 times out of ten the people buying these FX's are die-hard fans and we look at every little detail when we're spittin out 100 plus bucks for a supposed top-of-the-line lightsaber.  lol, ya know so it definitely wasn't a good idea to just recycle the Vader sounds.  I mean if you're not gonna do the job right you shouldn't do it all if you ask me.

Offline todd4566

• Force User
  • I'm thinking.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 01:32:39 PM »
Yeah just one half of the Maul is great by itself but you just never get the feeling of Darth Maul without both ends. haha, definitely a must to get both ends if anything I think.  But yes, MR should of been smarter when it comes to sounds because if you think about it 9 times out of ten the people buying these FX's are die-hard fans and we look at every little detail when we're spittin out 100 plus bucks for a supposed top-of-the-line lightsaber.  lol, ya know so it definitely wasn't a good idea to just recycle the Vader sounds.  I mean if you're not gonna do the job right you shouldn't do it all if you ask me.

I agree completely.  I would have been on the phone ordering the Maul day 1 had new sounds been used, but nope!  I can't believe I actually even got the single sided Maul, but I found an online Borders coupon & I already sold both of my Vader sabers.  It is very strange that old sounds were used though.. sure a new guy picking a Maul up would never know, but most of the people buying these things are US, the same people that have been buying them from the very beginning.  Sadly, I've sold nearly have of the sabers I've bought since each new saber seems to be a "reskin" of a previous version.  If more unique feature set off each FX and not just a new/smaller hilt, I'd probably have every FX saber sitting in my closet; the only way I justify buying new FX's is buy riding myself of old ones.   :-\
My collection:
2002 Anakin AOTC
2003 Vader ANH  **Sold**
2004 Luke ESB  **Sold**
2005 Anakin ROTS **Sold**
2005 Vader ESB **Sold**
2005 Luke ROTJ **Sold**
2006 Maul TPM
Custom 5w Luxeon (Green/Royal Blue)
2006 Obi-Wan ROTS  **Sold**
2007 Yoda
2007 Luke ANH
2008 Obi-Wan TPM
2010 Anakin ROTS (Removeable Blade)

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 01:37:26 PM »
i dont want the maul saber in the slightest....but when you have both halves together you really get an appreciation of the talent and training that goes into using a "staff" like weapon. master that and you da man!
The Force will be with you....always.

Offline The Professor

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 02:21:17 PM »
The only real thing I can give to Maul besides being an FX of course, haha, is the power down sound.  The Vader and the Maul power down sounds are almost identical.  Listen very closely the next time you watch TPM when Qui-Gon and Maul are separated by that red wall when Maul taps the wall with his saber then turns it off.  That sound is authentic if you ask me.  I mean I thouht that the Vader stole that sound from the Maul when I bought mine! lol so that's pretty much down but the others like the idle and so forth are just not right.  Could of and should of been done the right way.

Offline ani104

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 11:04:31 PM »
Nice review  :)

Offline DarthArn

• Master Force User
  • They'll do their job. I guarantee that...
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 12:04:38 PM »
new sounds would ahve made it better.

- Custom Saber Shop Luxeon
-UltraFX Luxeon

Offline Wurrzag

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 03:35:17 PM »
i dont want the maul saber in the slightest....but when you have both halves together you really get an appreciation of the talent and training that goes into using a "staff" like weapon. master that and you da man!

I saw the fighting scenes in the movie, and Darth maul really don't use a lot of spins at all. Yet he made it look so cool, I tried it outside on a stick at the same length as two lightsabers and recorded the whole thing. Adn one thing hit me, when you got a staff you don't need to use a lot of moves to make it look cool...

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 04:04:47 PM »

I saw the fighting scenes in the movie, and Darth maul really don't use a lot of spins at all. Yet he made it look so cool, I tried it outside on a stick at the same length as two lightsabers and recorded the whole thing. Adn one thing hit me, when you got a staff you don't need to use a lot of moves to make it look cool...

i know exactly what your saying. having a double sided (staff) weapon you dont need alot of spins and stuff cause theres already alot going on tryin to hit your opponent.
The Force will be with you....always.

retrousse