fiduciary

Author Topic: Anakin ROTS "plastic" FFX vs. Anakin ROTS "metal" FFX  (Read 30024 times)

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
Anakin ROTS "plastic" FFX vs. Anakin ROTS "metal" FFX
« on: February 19, 2006, 08:21:27 PM »
Depending on their uses, plastic and metal can serve meaningful purposes in every day life. Most man-made goods available for every day use consist of plastic components. The better the quality, the more metal used in the product. So does metal always equal better product? It always depends upon the product in question.

In this thread, we will explore the differences between the two variations of Master Replica's Anakin Skywalker Revenge of the Sith Force FX Lightsaber Collectible. The first variation of this awesome weapon is the known "plastic" version of this collectible. The second is the more common "metal" version. In the following sub-categories, we will take an in-depth look at the qualities and differences, both good and bad, of both versions of this astonishing toy. ;)

HILT

One thing I'd prevously read about the plastic Anakin ROTS lightsaber, which I've had since April '05, was that it was lightweight when compared to the metal version. Metal version? I was interested in learning more, though resources were quite scarce. Various sources documenting these differences were also inconsistent upon review. With MR's recent killer deal in which one lightsaber = $99, free shipping, and a free .45 scaled replica, I decided to take advantage and finally acquire this "improved," metal version of Anakin's saber. After all, I had been wanting a double of Anakin's saber for sometime... primarily for show-and-tell and possible dueling matches.  :)

The first thing I noticed when taking the metal version of Anakin's lightsaber out of the box was its weight. It felt twice as heavy as the plastic Anakin that I already owned. This was a good thing, as that saber was a bit too lightweight. This prompted an immediate comparison of both lightsabers. Upon first comparing both weapons, I immediately noticed that the metal version of the Anakin ROTS was thicker. I had previously not heard of this, but lo and behold, it is a tiny bit thicker. I believe this is what accounts for most of the added weight to this variation. I remember a thread somewhere here on FX-Sabers.com indicating that the components such as the control box, center band, and blade adjuster button were metalized. I found this to not be the case with my lightsaber. It has the exact same plastic components that the plastic version has. What was different, however, was that the buttons were more colorful. The control box, rather than being a light gold color as it was on the plastic saber, was now a dark yellow color. The same went for the ignition switch. The copper button on the underside of the saber was also darker. I'm sure some of this may be attributed to the fact that my new metal saber hasn't been handled the way my plastic one has, but after reviewing pictures of my plastic saber in its new condition, I found that the control box was never as yellow as it was on the new saber. The brass pins found in the black region near the top of the hilt are now actually made of brass, as opposed to painted metal screws as they are on the plastic saber. Another point of interest is that the plastic version of the saber is a bit taller than the metalized version. I'm not sure why this is, but perhaps it has something to do with the added thickness of the metal version.

Anakin ROTS "metal" lightsaber (left) vs. Anakin ROTS "plastic" lightsaber (right).

Metal Anakin with deep yellow detailing on control box and ignition switch, vs. light gold on plastic version.

Slightly shorter metal Anakin saber.

Noticeable differences in metal Anakin: deep yellow ignition switch and dark copper button.

BLADE

The hilt of the Anakin ROTS isn't the only difference between the plastic and metal variations. The blade itself of the metal version projects a very slightly darker blue color than the plastic. It's probably unnoticeable to most, but it's definitely there. The metal saber is also a bit more defined in terms of light output. In addition, the infamous dark spot is now almost invisible. It can be seen on one side of the metal Anakin, but only very vaguely. It's not as pronounced as it is on the plastic Anakin. As far as consistency goes between the LEDs, both versions are about the same in quality. They're not identical, but not much different either. The biggest difference, as stated, is the darker blue of the metal Anakin. I'm not quite sure, though, if having a bit of a darker blade makes it less bright. Both sabers turn off when left idle at the same exact time. One odd thing in the metal lightsaber is that when turning off the saber, the blade slows down at midpoint in the blade rather than near the base, as virtually all FFXs seem to do. It doesn't always does this, but when it does I tend to be annoyed by it.

Metal Anakin (left) and plastic Anakin (right), unignited in fully lit room.

Metal Anakin (left) and plastic Anakin (right) in lowly lit room.

Metal Anakin and plastic Anakin in total darkness. Note the higher definition of metal Anakin.

Luke ESB, Anakin ROTS (metal), & Anakin ROTS (plastic)... just because.  ;)

SOUND
The sound between the metal Anakin ROTS and the plastic Anakin ROTS is considerably different. First of all, the ignition sound on the metal version is louder and more aggressive... similar to how it is on the Luke ROTJ re-issue, only more aggressive sounding. The ignition on this particular lightsaber is different than on any other FFX I've seen. It's closer to what's heard on-screen. The idle hum is somewhat louder on the metal version than the plastic. It's a bit more energetic sounding, and therefore, sounds more impressive. The clash sounds are the same on both versions of the saber.

So, does metal equal a better and more attractive product? Well, if this were a Hasbro lightsaber, then no. But it's an MR Force FX lightsaber. Metal is important here. The more metal the more "realistic" the lightsaber, if you like. Is the metal Anakin ROTS better than the plastic? It's hard to say. All-in-all, I'd have to say that yes, I prefer the metal version of this replica. It's heavier and has better sound. The dark spot is barely visible, and the blade seems to be a bit more defined. On the flipside, it's also has a tiny bit thicker hilt, the blade is a little darker, and it has an unusual gold finish on the control box and ignition switch. I am partial to the plastic Anakin ROTS for the reason being that it was the first FFX lightsaber that I ever purchased. Overall, though, I'd have to say that the metal version of the Anakin ROTS FFX is a more solid product than the plastic variation of the lightsaber by the same name. :)

Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ANH with Removable Blade
Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS with Removable Blade
Darth Maul TPM with Removable Blade
Kit Fisto AOTC with Removable Blade
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
Re: Anakin ROTS "plastic" FFX vs. Anakin ROTS "metal" FFX
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 08:23:44 PM »
One of the best reviews yet!  Simply outstanding Aayla!  ;D

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline ani104

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 08:29:34 PM »
One of the best reviews yet! Simply outstanding Aayla! ;D

:o

You said it Anakin ;)

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 09:02:17 PM »
(whew) now i'm tired....great review kid!
The Force will be with you....always.

Offline GioFX

• Master Force User
  • so say we all ...
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 02:30:34 AM »
... finally I know mine is the "metal" version, thanks Aayla!!!!

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 03:49:09 AM »
i have wanted to see this comparison for a while, nice one aayla,  in addition, my current anakin looks like the one on the right with the lighter coloured switch and the copper button thing almost the same, yet my recharge pins are metal as are the rabbit ears?

i wait for my newer anakin with more intrigue now, perhaps there is more natural product variation than we originally thought.

Offline darthmaddy

• formerly known as Darth Malak
  • Master Force User
  • BATMAUL
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 04:07:12 AM »
Very thorough.  Nice job! :)
I'm not wearing hockey pads.

Offline Timmy-Wan Kenobi

• AKA Timmy-Wan Kenobi
  • Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee win
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 04:28:46 AM »
I was previously unaware that MR had produced two versions of the Ani ROTS.
I'm glad I bagged the metal version, but looking at your photos, Aayla, I am struck by what a good jod they did on the plastic version.
On hearing the word 'plastic', my initial reaction was, 'yuk!cheap and tacky', but this doesn't appear to be the case, it actually looks very good quality.
Anyway, a note to MR for the future- use as much metal as possible in the construction of FFXs.
It adds to the realism, weight, and feel of the saber, which is, I believe, what is important to most of us.
Outstanding review, by the way, Aayla, all of your reviews are top notch and I shall use them as reference before purchasing any more sabers.

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 10:58:08 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments, everybody. :)

One thing I'd like to add that wasn't in my review is that the blade on the "metal" Anakin FX is very, very sturdy. It doesn't wobble around at all really, unlike the "plastic" version of the same saber.

In addition to that, I was testing out the sound once again on the metal Anakin... the ignition and switch-off effects of the blade are definitely louder than those on the Luke ROTJ. However, the idle hum isn't quite as loud. It's very close, but just not quite as loud. It does have the same roaring sound to it, though, only it sounds better here.

To marginalize differences between these two sabers, both sabers were given brand new Duracell Ultra Digitals prior to the comparison.

i have wanted to see this comparison for a while, nice one aayla,  in addition, my current anakin looks like the one on the right with the lighter coloured switch and the copper button thing almost the same, yet my recharge pins are metal as are the rabbit ears?

i wait for my newer anakin with more intrigue now, perhaps there is more natural product variation than we originally thought.

I'm pretty sure the rabbit ears on either saber are exactly the same. Last Spring I saw multiple "plastic" Anakin FX's at shops and at theaters and in pictures on the net. From what I saw they were identical to my own plastic saber. Now, I haven't seen many of the "metal" sabers. I've heard from a few board members that their metal saber also has the light colored control box and switch, and I've also heard that the center band on their sabers is entirely metal, along with the blade adjustment knob. Now, the thing I found interesting in my saber is that it is identical in every way to the plastic Anakin FX except for the hilt being a tiny, tiny bit thicker. When being shaken around, it is as if the hilt on the plastic saber is more hollow, if you like. With the metal one this is not the case... it feels like it has more metal on the INSIDE. So who knows... maybe I have a freak lightsaber. Either way, I'm quite happy with it. :)  I don't like the bright yellow detailing as much, but I guess it won't rub off as easily... or maybe it would take longer if I don't use the proper precautions.

I was previously unaware that MR had produced two versions of the Ani ROTS.
I'm glad I bagged the metal version, but looking at your photos, Aayla, I am struck by what a good jod they did on the plastic version.
On hearing the word 'plastic', my initial reaction was, 'yuk!cheap and tacky', but this doesn't appear to be the case, it actually looks very good quality.
Anyway, a note to MR for the future- use as much metal as possible in the construction of FFXs.
It adds to the realism, weight, and feel of the saber, which is, I believe, what is important to most of us.
Outstanding review, by the way, Aayla, all of your reviews are top notch and I shall use them as reference before purchasing any more sabers.

I agree, Timmy-Wan, when I first got my Ani FX the thought of it being lightweight or plastic never crossed my mind. It was my first FX, and to me the hilt was gorgeous. It felt great and the light and sounds were remarkable. Anyhow, I'm glad I can help.  ;)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 11:06:15 AM by Aayla Secura »
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline Snoballz

• Master Force User
  • a toy never played with is not a toy at all
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 11:17:43 AM »
Yet another great review. 

Interesting that you mentioned that your metal Anakin didn't have the "infamous dark spot".  Since I had only seen my metal Anakin with no easily definable dark spot, I always figured you had a saber with a little extra solder on the LED strip.  Guess the soldering process was also changed for the newer edition.

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 12:23:18 PM »
hi again aayla,  unfortunately i missed the delivery guy so wont be able to compare my two until tomorrow earliest.  however i did have a look at my current one and can say the following.  the rabbit ears and central band are definitely all metal on mine, they are both cold to the tongue, unlike the silver ring  part (the last thing the blade touches) and the black mounting the blade comes out from the hilt on, both these are definitely plastic.

Offline GioFX

• Master Force User
  • so say we all ...
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 12:42:19 PM »
uhm .... my two "metal" anakin show the infamous dark spot, but when fully charged is less noticeable, as said Aayla

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 06:39:35 PM »
Just like I mentioned in my thread, that my blade is VERY sturdy as well.

I had a feeling that I had the "metal" version, and now I know I do, thanks! :)

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline BIGGS DARKLIGHTER

• Formerly known as Heimidal
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Red 3 Standing By
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 11:43:45 PM »
Any chance you can post a closer image of the brass pins on the two sabers? I'm still trying to figure out which one I have and it seems like that might be the best way. How can you tell if they are brass or just painted? Going by just weight, mine is far heavier than my Vader ESB. Is there any way to just weigh both sabers and post their weight?

Thanks for any info =)

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 12:48:52 AM »
Any chance you can post a closer image of the brass pins on the two sabers? I'm still trying to figure out which one I have and it seems like that might be the best way. How can you tell if they are brass or just painted? Going by just weight, mine is far heavier than my Vader ESB. Is there any way to just weigh both sabers and post their weight?

Thanks for any info =)

I tried snapping a close-up of the brass pins on both sabers, but unfortunately my camera doesn't take good close-ups. The best way to tell is if the brass pins are shiny or if they are just brass. If they're shiny then they're probably just painted. If your Anakin saber weighs more than your Vader ESB, you definitely have the metal version. :)
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

retrousse