fiduciary

Author Topic: Question about using soundfonts appropriately  (Read 2009 times)

Offline Darth PJs

• Force User
  • Don't Question R2-D2's street cred!
Question about using soundfonts appropriately
« on: August 18, 2016, 07:15:12 PM »
Greetings,

I have maybe a delicat question that's been on my mind for a while and I'm  not sure if this is the right place to post. So, here it goes:

I'm curious if this scenario would be considered a fair practice:

I purchase a saber from someone on the forums and it has several soundfonts loaded that I haven't purchased. I then take the fonts and install them on a build that I then sell to someone else.

Is this considered font piracy and would the best practice be to make a donation to the font maker of the fonts I didn't previously own?
Should a donation be made each time that I use the said fonts on a new build that I sell as I don't actually own the content?

I have not done any of the above (sold any hilts) and I'm concerned that I want to do the appropriate thing if/win I sell a saber. I just thought of this as I've seen a few builds on eBay that have fonts on the sabers made by Madcow and others?

So, forgive my ignorance and gently teach me what's appropriate.   :smiley:

Thanks!

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
Re: Question about using soundfonts appropriately
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 08:11:54 PM »
If you sell a saber with fonts you should purchase the fonts before doing so, unless it came to you with those fonts and you do not keep a copy.

Facebook: VVFB

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 04:42:33 AM »
Exactly..  the original purchase is for a single download of that font, which may not be copied.

You can sell it or transfer it to someone else, but only as long as you are losing it in the process and there remains only that one copy.

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 07:17:57 AM »
Exactly..  the original purchase is for a single download of that font, which may not be copied.

You can sell it or transfer it to someone else, but only as long as you are losing it in the process and there remains only that one copy.

I'm not sure on this. I may be wrong, but I thought it was Ok to copy it, just for use by the buyer in more than one of their own sabers.

I guess when buying a font, we're paying for a copy of the files and for a single user licence for the font, which we're able to put in mutiple sabers that we own?

If it were software, I assume it'd be like the scenario where the licence allows you to copy/install it on more than one machine that you own, for your own use (rather than just on one machine for your own use, which I took from what you're describing?).

Either way, the 'licence' is transferred if you sell a saber with that font and you're no longer entitled to use it without purchasing a replacement 'licence' for yourself (i.e. buying the font again).

It'd be helpful to have clarification on this. Thanks.

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 08:19:02 AM »

I'm not sure on this. I may be wrong, but I thought it was Ok to copy it, just for use by the buyer in more than one of their own sabers.

I guess when buying a font, we're paying for a copy of the files and for a single user licence for the font, which we're able to put in mutiple sabers that we own?

If it were software, I assume it'd be like the scenario where the licence allows you to copy/install it on more than one machine that you own, for your own use (rather than just on one machine for your own use, which I took from what you're describing?).

Either way, the 'licence' is transferred if you sell a saber with that font and you're no longer entitled to use it without purchasing a replacement 'licence' for yourself (i.e. buying the font again).

It'd be helpful to have clarification on this. Thanks.

I'm sure that's right, what you've said here.. it would need to follow the same copyright rules as downloading a music album.

Offline madcow

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
    • Genesis Custom Sabers
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 10:29:26 AM »
The exception being that you may sell a saber with the stock fonts which come with the sound card. In the case of the CF there are 12 fonts on there.

Offline Darkmatter73

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 05:06:29 PM »
Yeah i do what Madcow just said.
Whenever I sell a saber, I just put on the default package of that sound board.

I'm sure making a complete sound font package is alot of work. As Baconwizard said, your favorite band worked hard on that album, don't just play it on the Tube, buy it and support them.

Offline Darth PJs

• Force User
  • Don't Question R2-D2's street cred!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 05:07:55 PM »
Thanks everyone for the clarification!

retrousse