fiduciary

Author Topic: Should I sand the sound chamber?  (Read 3245 times)

Offline shiro

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Should I sand the sound chamber?
« on: December 05, 2018, 08:34:38 AM »
Finally going to assemble the chassis after receiving my TGS G2. I am thinking whether to sand and polish the surface of the sound chamber (and other black ring/plate), or should I leave them have the slight ridges? What is everyone opinion? Thanks in advance.

Offline Yaraell_Ren

• Force User
  • Listen Yaddle, I'm gonna need to borrow your car!
Re: Should I sand the sound chamber?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 11:07:19 AM »
Can you give us more info on which chassis you're working on?

Offline shiro

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 09:23:19 PM »
Can you give us more info on which chassis you're working on?

My apologies for not making it clear. I am working on Master Yoda chassic kit and I am referring to the black ring/plate in general. I have sanded/polished one and the result as shown. Right one is the one polished obviously. Just can't decide which way it will look better at the end.

Offline Yaraell_Ren

• Force User
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 08:43:46 AM »
Nice, Yoda's DIY kits aren't too common these days:) most kits I've seen have 'ridge' finishes, but I'm sure you can also paint with metallic color or polish out those parts to make them look better.

Offline shiro

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 09:17:15 AM »
Nice, Yoda's DIY kits aren't too common these days:) most kits I've seen have 'ridge' finishes, but I'm sure you can also paint with metallic color or polish out those parts to make them look better.

I am very happy to own a Yoda kit, the 3d printed chassis are all very nice but I like Yoda's better.

I am not very happy with the result of the sanded disc, so I will keep true to the original and leave the rest untouched. 🤗

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 05:18:08 PM »
Hey there Shiro

Glad to see you getting your kit together now  :cool: and thank you for the encouraging compliments
on my original chassis systems.

Do be careful with sanding down the cog shapes as they have the screw hole passes through them.
Depending on what kit you have some had more material than others but...
If you find you need replacement speaker rings let me know as I do have some spares form those kits left over  :wink:

MTFBWY
always
YODA

Offline shiro

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 07:38:10 PM »
Hey there Shiro

Glad to see you getting your kit together now  :cool: and thank you for the encouraging compliments
on my original chassis systems.

Do be careful with sanding down the cog shapes as they have the screw hole passes through them.
Depending on what kit you have some had more material than others but...
If you find you need replacement speaker rings let me know as I do have some spares form those kits left over  :wink:

MTFBWY
alway
YODA

Hello Master Yoda,

That is very kind of you and it gives me the peace of mind to experiment with the chassis  :cheesy:. I am keeping the COG shape, but I thinking to sand the "tree skin" patten on the side of the plate side. The one I have polished is the top plate between the heat sink and the chassis, I think that is the safest one to test trial with.
Cheers!

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 09:50:01 PM by shiro »

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 08:03:36 PM »
ahh that ones okay but do be careful as I don't have all replacement parts but do have extra speaker rings and a few small bits. :wink:

Offline shiro

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 10:58:11 PM »
Ok, a little update, it has been slow but I didn't stop. I am "dry-fitting" and thinking what modification I can do to the chassis. e.g.,  (actually, all the ideas are from YODA's version lol).
1) lighted up piping for the crystal
2) covered battery compartment
3) thinking...
4) thinking...

A few question,
1) does the included battery case fit 14500 battery? I have a feeling it is too short
2) does the kit comes with the RICE port 3pin micro plug?
3) to cover the battery, I am planning to use a piece of copper (again Yoda’s original idea 😅). I can
a) either slide the copper behind the alu post and possibly glued it in place. I will have to find a way to setup a recharging port somewhere, or
b) cut a slit marked with red to secured the copper plate, it might not look as nice but it require more handy work but save the glue/double side tape.

Any suggestion?

Thank you 😊
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 04:43:30 AM by shiro »

Offline Yaraell_Ren

• Force User
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 08:42:46 AM »
As for the battery cover, I think you can sand down the plastic pieces on the aluminum tubes and glue thin copper metal sheets or copper tape, just like master YODA does in his builds.
OR, you can be creative and maybe use other materials than copper?
I personally love seeing some variations :)

Offline shiro

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 09:09:33 AM »
I don’t plan to cover the wire tubing which I think is very nice. Honestly my imagination is limited but I will still try to modify the cover a bit. Guess we will have to wait and see how it turns out 😝

This project is really fun!

As for the battery cover, I think you can sand down the plastic pieces on the aluminum tubes and glue thin copper metal sheets or copper tape, just like master YODA does in his builds.
OR, you can be creative and maybe use other materials than copper?
I personally love seeing some variations :)

retrousse