fiduciary

Author Topic: Anakin ROTS review  (Read 2981 times)

Offline The Bassbooster

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Anakin ROTS review
« on: December 12, 2005, 10:49:46 AM »
Hi guys,

This is The Bassbooster from France. I have been hanging on this site for a while as I was considering getting my first Master Replica FX saber.

I got many useful information from this site so it is only fair that I gave back my first impressions to the community.

So here's my story.

BACKGROUND

I have settled in a new flat recently and since we have a spare room to setup as an office, I wanted to get a few statues/figurines to decorate it. I am not the ultimate Star Wars fan but Star Wars is nevertheless an important part of my life since I saw the empire strikes back when it was released. I was 8 years old then and have bought since my share of VHS, DVDs, Laserdisc, action figures, videogames (no matter how many times I managed to destroy the Death Star, Lucasarts seems to have a huge stock of leftovers as they keep coming back)...

So I was a few really nice looking action figures, and on top of my list was... Lord Vader. I have since bought a Kotobukiya Kit as they were much cheaper than the Gentle Giant/Attakus statues but still great looking.

And of course, while browsing ebay and online shops that sold Star Wars collectibles, I came across the Master Replica FX sabers.

I had seen them in action for the opening of ROTS as a Star Wars fan club was entertaining the audience before the show. I had actually not been impressed at the time. The sounds were lost with the crowd noise and the room was not dark enough for the blades to shine properly so at best, the sabers looked like a dim neon whith no sound.

But during my researches for the statues, as I kept getting across the sabers in every shop, I started to become curious. And much to my delight, I found this great web site that contained everything I needed to know. Obviously seeing videos of the sabers in the dark with the proper sound FX flipped my opinion around. I was slowly getting ready to buy one. It was then a matter of choosing which one and finding the right deal.

CHOOSING A LIGHTSABER

Obviously, I was going to look for one of the latest series to benefit from the light-up/down effect and louder sounds, preferably with 3 batteries. I ruled out the Luke ROTJ as I tought the hilt looked was too bulky compared to the real prop. I am not a big fan of Mace Windu and his purple saber so my choice had to be between the Vader episode V saber and the Anakin ROTS saber.

While I was hunting for a good deal, an add popped on a french forum dedicated to statues and film goodies. An Anakin ROTS was on sale for 85 euros postage included. The seller was a regular on the forum, known for being a maniac when it came to looking after his collection. Just what I was looking for. I bought it on the spot. There is so much Star Wars history in this single saber that I am really happy for it to be my first. He has cut Darth Tyrannus' head, has seen Anakin fall to the Dark side, has accompanied Luke on his first steps as a jedi up to his first confrontation with Vader. By the way, it is an interesting symbol that Luke loses this lightsaber, just before learning that Vader is his father. He loses the object that represents his heritage as the son of a noble jedi knight at the very moment his illusions are shattered by Vader's revelation. I don't really mind the cosmetic differences between Anakin's Episode III saber and Luke's episode IV-V ones. I guess 20 years in solitude on Tatooine is a pretty long time so with too much spare time on his hands, Obi Wan must have modified it a bit as an alternate hobby to scaring Tusken Raiders.

FIRST TRY

The package has arrived at the office this very morning! Not wanting to look too geeky in front of my colleagues, I sneaked in one of the empty buildings the company rents. The large lavatories were soon elected as the best place to provide the required darkness.

The Saber came wrapped in the original Master Replica cardboard. Unwrapping it revealed the box, in mint condition. Opening the box itself, confirmed the seller's reputation for being a real collector. Everything was in brand new condition, with all elements still in the original plastic.

Regarding the saber itself, altough I was expecting it, I could only be amazed at how large a lightsaber hilt is. Surely it needs to be held with too hands, which requires for it to be long, but somehow, they always look smaller on screen. Getting my hands on it was cool, litteraly cool as the coldness of the hilt confirmed that this was no plastic. I quickly checked the "rabbit's ears" as some reports said that they were plastic in some models. They seem the same as the rest here which is great. I read some comparative reviews between the ESB Luke and the Anakin ROTS. Altough I  have only seen pictures, I don't agree with the idea that the ROTS looks more toyish. The slightly larger scale of the Luke ESB may have to do with this. Of course, I would need to check both myself to compare the details but so far, the ROTS

The second thing I liked what the weight. Some reviews complained about it being lighter with only three batteries. I was wondering how light it was. Too me, it's about right. Just not light enough to feel like a plastic toy.

Without even turning it on, something is becoming very clear. A nice reproduction of a lightsaber hilt looks so great I also need a bladeless version.

I toyed with the lightsaber a bit without turning it on, just to get the feel of it. Even turned off, holding a realistic saber hilt with a blade has something magic to as it brings back memories of intense frustration when as a Kid, I was desesperately looking for something remotely close.

Now, I turned the light off and got ready for the REAL test. Predictabily, nothing happened when I turned the saber on. No batteries.Good news in the sense that the saber will be slightly heavier with the three batteries in.

Fortunately, I came across a pack of batteries the other day when moving my stuff from one office to the other so I decided to come back later for a proper lightsabing session.

SECOND TRY

A pretty fast one. Unwrapped the saber again, fitted the batteries, took a deep breath and... nothing happened at all. Checking the batteries, I see a "March 2005" date written on each of them, which may have to do with it.

THIRD TRY

After scouting around in the office I managed to find 3 batteries that have a 2010 expiration date. With the office being empty now (it's about 8PM) I can afford to use one of the conference rooms.

With the new batteries in place and the lights down, I am more confident than ever than I will soon be in "sith slaying" mode.

And then came the moment I had been waiting for years: Hitting the the "on" button, and witness a bright blue blade rising from the darkness accompanied by the familiar purring.

Of course, it doesn't look like a screen lightsaber, but the overall experience is very satisfying. I am relieved to see that the blade has no dead spots. It doesn't take long to understand how the sounds are triggered. Moving the hilt triggers the movment sound and tapping the top of the blade triggers various clash sounds.

But of course, the most gratifying thing is to turn the lightsaber on and off while looking at the blade going up and down on the mirror.

The sound is really loud. Of course sligtly in the low res department but more than satisfying. Thanks again to Ben Burtt for designing that capital part of the lightsaber.

AFTERTOUGHTS

My Anakin ROTS will proudly be displayed on my wall

I am now faced with the familiar "is one enough?" issue that many of you have encountered. The vader ESB is a no-brainer. I NEED to get it. It's a great companion to the one I already have. A green bladed Luke and a blue Bladed Obi Wan would be cool but I'll wait until Master Replica finds a way to reduce the electronic enough to match properly the design of those two hilts.

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
Re: Anakin ROTS review
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 11:22:15 AM »
excellent review brutha......enjoyed reading it.
The Force will be with you....always.

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 12:42:10 PM »
very nice first review and indeed first post.

welcome to the site, here you will find like minded people with whom you can completely geek ;) and not worry about it.

i hope you enjoy your new saber and look forward to seeing you on the forums

thanks

han

Offline The Bassbooster

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 12:07:44 PM »
Thanks for welcoming me on the site  :)

I now need to find a companion to my saber and the Vader ESB is in pole position on my shopping list.

Offline DSidious

• Padawan Learner
  • "Now young Skywalker......You will die"
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 04:36:14 PM »
Great review and so very true. I think one is not enough when you think that FX sabers keep evolving. I have my eye on that Darth Maul FX Saber.
"Strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey toward the darkside will be complete"

Offline Darth Eunice

• SAVANT TOGRUTA, SAGE OF YORE
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 04:54:20 PM »
nice review
it must've been scary being in your office all alone ;)
May the Force be with you! :D

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 12:31:59 AM »
he would not be too scared shaak, he has a lightsaber ;)

Offline Dark Skywalker

• formerly known as Dark Skywalker
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 04:26:56 PM »
I made sure that when I got my lightsaber for Christmas that the batteries would work by keeping 3 AAs so no one would use them. ;)

Nothing Is Impossible

retrousse