fiduciary

Author Topic: Anakin Skywalker -- Revenge of the Sith Force FX lightsaber review  (Read 5567 times)

Sephiroth

The Anakin Skywalker FX lightsaber was the first FX I got after Christmas of 2005.   I had some spare cash on me, and knew that my Gamestop was selling a few FX models, and I wanted to expand my collection.   The store was selling both the Darth Vader and Anakin Skywalker FX models at the time, for about $90 a piece (which is quite reduced from the asking price on the Master Replicas website).

Now I was originally thinking of grabbing the Vader ESB model since I was missing red from my collection, but decided after looking some more to finish off my blues first (at least until the Obi-Wan comes out, but that won't be for a bit yet).

The first thing I noticed about this thing is the fact that it takes 3 batteries instead of 6.   I had heard that the overall model was improved much from the Luke ESB, but was skeptical that it would be done, especially with less batteries.   Now you would THINK that for this lightsaber one could just copy and paste a Luke ESB review, change a few things, and voila!  There you go.    But that isn't the case.... Boy, was I in for a surprise..

The overall hilt design is very pretty, and somewhat similar to the Luke ESB.   I mean, I guess it is supposed to be the same lightsaber, but thanks to Lucas' clever marketing tactics, they always change in between each movie to generate more revenue and cash flow....I mean...more interest, of course.   ;)     Now, back to the subject, there are some major and minor differences between the two hilts.    The first being the fact that the power switch is placed differently on here.   The Luke ESB model's power switch is placed right under the emitter on the front side of the hilt, as a small button that looks like a decoration that you would slide up and down to power on and off.   This one is different.   The power switch is actually mounted on a faux control box, complete with some rune markings and some nice looking detailed symbols (where the clip thing would be on the Luke ESB).   Just slide it up and down to activate the lightsaber.   I would also like to point out that the central grip of this thing...the 'band' that seems like it holds it together is much different than the Luke ESB, having more of a 'rough' look and feel and being slightly different colored.

Also, the hilt is quite a bit smaller than the oversized Luke ESB, and has more of a pretty polished finish than the industrial metal look and feel of its brother saber, not to mention that the buttons are smaller and this one has some paint job as a finishing touch.   There is also a small clamp on the front of the lightsaber underneath the emitter which is more straight, thicker, and placed closer together than the one on the Luke ESB.   The battery cell is housed inside the end cap which you can twist off.   There's no D-ring accessory on this lightsaber (which is kind of a shame because it would have been great, but oh well), so it's quite easy to place in the batteries and adjust everything properly.   Of course, a yellow arrow marks the correct insertion of the battery pack inside the shell to avoid confusion.    Oh, and before I forget, some say that the paint job on this model wears off after a while, but I have yet to notice anything like that.   I just polish up the metal once in a while and try to keep my hands and fingers off of the gold accents.

Right, now where was I?  Okay, let's get to the sounds on this puppy.   If you aren't familiar with what a Force FX does, then know that when the lightsaber is powered on, it actually lights up (and down) in sequence like a real lightsaber would, and plays back digitally recorded sounds from the movies.   Of course this one is no different.  The power up and down sounds are dead on, as is the idle hum, perfectly timed, as usual what you would expect from MR.   If you hit something with the lightsaber just right, it makes clash sounds, also recorded from the movies.  This model has a few various ones recorded and they all sound great.    Not to mention the fact that this lightsaber is also a lot louder and less muffled than the Luke ESB, which I already have mentioned a ton in this review.   I would say overall that the sound on this thing is perfect, and couldn't have been any better at the time.   But later on MR always pulls out a surprise or two, so maybe we can expect the next sound chips to blow us away...

As I stated before a bit about the lighting effects of this, ....well, I'll get a little more into it now.   The FX lightsabers (at least the newer generations) use a string of LED lights that ignite in sequence to give the FX a 'realistic' power up effect.   The same also holds true for deactivation.    As you would expect, this model uses blue and the color is absolutely fantastic.   Even in a well-lit room this bad boy here will make anybody jealous, and in the darkness or in darker light it would totally eliminate the need for a flashlight.   The LED string keeps the blade continually lit until you shut it off, and should last for several thousand hours of use if you care for your lightsaber properly.

In closing, I would like to say that this is definitely my favorite Force FX model, is put together extremely well, and is a favorite for dueling although some would say the design makes it a bit akward.   Unfortunately, I've heard that Master Replicas is discontinuing this model soon, so grab yours while you can, before the price starts to skyrocket.    I hope you all have enjoyed this review, and I hope it has shed a bit of light on this saber.   I unfortunately do not have any pictures of the lightsaber at the moment, but I will work on that and try to bring some up as soon as I can. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 09:32:09 PM by Sephiroth »

Offline Ki-Adi

• Cerean
  • Master Force User
  • Homeplanet; Cerea
Re: Anakin Skywalker -- Revenge of the Sith Force FX lightsaber review
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 08:20:41 PM »
Nice review Sephiroth. Ya I don't think I'll get an Anakin ROTS but I have a while to decide. I mean they stopped making them already but they have tonnes. I mean the only reason I would maybe get it is for maybe dueling once in a while or something but I don't think I am getting this saber. It would be like betraying my favourite one, my Luke ESB. haha I wouldn't trade my Luke ESB for any FX saber. But it is a good review and informative if you don't know anything about the Anakin ROTS or any saber for that matter.
"Impossible, the Sith have been extinct for a millennium."- Ki-Adi-Mundi

Sephiroth

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 08:38:33 PM »
Yes, I think everyone else had better move over, especially once I get some pictures.

The new king of reviews is here.

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 04:20:20 AM »
oh man, that was alot of reading...but an outstanding review. welcome to the boards sephiroth
The Force will be with you....always.

Sephiroth

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 04:24:13 AM »
Thank you.

A little reading never hurt anyone, my friend.    :D    Besides, I think it just about covers up about everything on this lightsaber, you know?      Thanks for the welcome to the boards as well, brother.

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 10:55:41 AM »
Welcome Sephiroth. It's great to have new members that instantly hit the spot with nice reviews...  ;D

Offline Dark Skywalker

• formerly known as Dark Skywalker
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 11:03:46 AM »
Welcome Sephiroth. It's great to have new members that instantly hit the spot with nice reviews...  ;D

Hey, my first post was an Anakin ROTS review but no one said anything like that to me. :'(  Just kidding. ;)

Nothing Is Impossible

Sephiroth

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 07:12:58 PM »

<Obi-Wan AOTC mode> That's....why I'm here.  ;)

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 07:22:18 PM »

<Obi-Wan AOTC mode> That's....why I'm here.  ;)

Yes an Obiwan AOTC and a Quigon Jinn is what a lot of up are hoping for after the Maul and Obiwan ROTS
come out this year. 8)

Sephiroth

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 07:24:44 PM »
Or perhaps an Obi-Wan TPM?

....but are they the same saber, or did GL follow the pattern of changing it between the movies a bit?   Qui-Gon FX would completely rule, I would love that.

Offline Ki-Adi

• Cerean
  • Master Force User
  • Homeplanet; Cerea
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 09:40:58 PM »
Those sabers would be good but for 07 I want the ANH sabers to be release or re-released. Luke ANH, Obi-wan ANH, and Vader ANH. I think those coming out in the year 2007 would be the best strategy.

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 09:48:29 PM »
Those sabers would be good but for 07 I want the ANH sabers to be release or re-released. Luke ANH, Obi-wan ANH, and Vader ANH. I think those coming out in the year 2007 would be the best strategy.

I would have to concur.

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline Ki-Adi

• Cerean
  • Master Force User
  • Homeplanet; Cerea
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 11:22:55 PM »
Ya but they are basically the same design but have little changes. I wouldn't mind either. Though if I had to choose it would be TPM because that saber stands out in TPM. I mean if you watch AOTC you barely notice how the saber is like the same as the TPM one. haha Well he loses it half way through the movie so... haha

Sephiroth

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 09:06:49 PM »
You....really change your banners and avatars a lot, huh Mundi?

I really should get to writing another review or something.   But I just don't feel like taking half an hour or so to do such right now.    Maybe I'll play with one of my FX later and it'll inspire me..

Offline Ki-Adi

• Cerean
  • Master Force User
  • Homeplanet; Cerea
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2006, 01:28:03 AM »
hahaha Ya I love to customize. Whenever I get bored with my banner I will make another. I made 2 new ones specifically based on the Ki-Adi Comics. The 2 banners are from Outlander and my Avatar is from Prelude To Rebellion. Also ya playing with an FX can inspire you. Just recieving a new FX inspires me. haha

retrousse