fiduciary

Author Topic: LEGACY - The Killer Penny tribute run Stand Thread  (Read 19084 times)

Offline Sanjuro

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Sanjuro Systems
    • Sanjuro Systems
LEGACY - The Killer Penny tribute run Stand Thread
« on: February 24, 2014, 07:55:57 PM »
Hello All (on the LEGACY run),

I've been asked to create a stand for this run.

In discussing with Corbin and Wat, this will be a first for me...  A community designed stand.  You lucky few on the run will decided on the price of the stand, and the design.

As this would be a first for me, perhaps the best way is to first open this up to ideas.  Then begin to narrow it down as we start coming to somewhat of a concensus.

I'll help out of course with what can and can't be done.  I can only use Acrylic or Wood for the material, and nothing thicker than 0.200".  I can't work with metal.

Price is proportional to the complexity of the stand.

Thank you all and let me know what you would like to see.

Respectfully,
Sanjuro
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:35:55 PM by ANAKIN SKYWALKER »
SANJURO SYSTEMS - Custom Lightsaber Stands, Custom Chassis Disks for Lightsaber builds, and other related items.

My Business - Home

Japan Lightsaber Dueling Guild, Founding Member

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
Re: LEGACY - The Killer Penny tribute run Stand Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 08:18:56 PM »
Fantastic news!  I'm really glad you'll be handling the stands for this.  I know the 3 I already have from you are the centerpiece of my collection. 

I know I'll regret saying this, but if you really knock it out of the park (which is why I know I'll regret saying this, because you always do), money wouldn't be an object for me.  That said, I'd say a comfortable price ceiling would probably be $200 given the original cost of these sabers.  Personally, I don't have a ceiling (within reason), but it's tough to add too much on top of $1500 and electronics and an install, so I'm trying to think about the group as a whole here. 

Personally, I feel full custom is the way to go, which incurs big price, but I don't believe the stand needs to have a huge footprint.  I'd say no more than 4" longer than the saber itself.  The saber needs to be the center of attention without dominating the entire space around it with a huge stand.  The things I would like to see are that it would be easy to remove and place in the stand (remove is bigger than place), some kind of a unique position or holding solution for the saber, lots of gold and silver mirrored acrylic (along with the proper amounts of black to balance it out), and if you can work with wood, maybe a thin wooden base that has a dark stain.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:36:20 PM by ANAKIN SKYWALKER »

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 08:26:20 PM »
I'd like to see something in layered orange and yellow acrylic. Rectangular base. With a spot for a plaque.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:36:30 PM by ANAKIN SKYWALKER »

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 05:41:22 AM »
Machining copper is a very difficult process.  You have to use a full coolant flood and not go too fast or the copper will stick to the tool bit and cause big problems.  Much harder to machine than aluminum or  mild steel.  Plus, as everyone mentioned, copper of the alloy and size needed here (any machinable copper really) is extremely expensive. 

The cost is extremely reasonable for a saber like this.

@Sanjuro, do you think we should start a thread about the stand in your section to keep it more on track about the stand itself? 

A spot for a plaque is a must.  I don't have a preference as to whether the plaque is acrylic or metal, but the stand should be able to hold whichever type of plaque is decided on.  Either way, i'd want my plaque to mention something about the electronics, since i'll be using cfv7s for sure. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:36:38 PM by ANAKIN SKYWALKER »

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 06:32:15 AM »
I'd like to see something in layered orange and yellow acrylic. Rectangular base. With a spot for a plaque.

I would agree with Jango.  I would like to see some color in this stand to simulate the copper and brass.  Nothing overly crazy though as the hilt pretty much speaks for itself.  Simple but elegant.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:36:48 PM by ANAKIN SKYWALKER »

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 07:07:50 AM »
Lumi nailed it.  The mirrored gold and if possible a mirrored copper for the stand.  I mentioned silver just for reflections of the saber itself.  I know the stand you did for my mkvi complimented the saber perfectly. 

I will be polishing my saber and juan's just like the original was new.  Looks like everything but the grip section got a mirror finish, and then it was allowed to age over time. 

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 04:37:13 PM by ANAKIN SKYWALKER »

Offline Pfockerchief

• Master Force User
  • (Fa-ker-chief)
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 04:46:51 PM »
I get the concern over matching saber and stand colors, especially if the stand is large...you lose the saber in it.  However if the stand is small and understated like the tron v1 than it fits well.  For example, in the Halo stand I specifically asked for no green and that the color palette match the silver and gold accents of the saber as I knew it was going to be epic.  So...IMO it depends on the stand size.  I do like the idea of using mirrored sections in conjunction with either gold, black and/or silver acrylic.  Can't go wrong there IMO.

I still like my exploded view idea and would be ok with a wall hanging version if size dictated.  But I tend to display items against walls so that's easy for me to say  :P.

One last thought on this.  How about something similar to what RO did with his obi cutaway saber? 
RO-LIGHTSABERS: LIGHTSABERS
Use a piece of clear acrylic with laser engraving that highlights the hilt components, sn, creators.  It could contain a cutout so that the saber sits inside it halfway.  Perhaps light from the saber could help lit up the engravings in some fashion.  Granted this isn't a cross-section saber but it's still highly detailed.  This could simply be an additional piece to the stand that can be removed if preferred.  Just some more food for thought.
Yoda Vintage GFIV, GFV
LDM Obi Bronzium Reveal
LDM MKVI ROTJ PC2 V2 #27
SP/LDM Sid
SJ Obi Romans Reveal
GCS CF6 CEX Asc#14/PC2 Asc AE/Custom Badaxx
OR Adi-Galia CF6
VV Luke Hero/Tempest/Wraths

Offline basalter

• Experienced Force User
    • A pinch of Salter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 05:24:56 PM »
Gee, I was not going to think about getting the stand, as I intended to wear the jolly thing 24 hours a day, but these ideas all sound so amazing!

Offline Corbin_Das

• Force User
  • Keeper of the Killer Penny
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 09:23:18 PM »
Gee, I was not going to think about getting the stand, as I intended to wear the jolly thing 24 hours a day, but these ideas all sound so amazing!

If you're going to wear it a lot, get suspenders.  :)) The type of copper it'll be made from is really dense.

I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with for a stand. If people decide on some sort of plaque, would it be acrylic or a separate brass plaque that's laser etched or whatever?

Offline basalter

• Experienced Force User
    • A pinch of Salter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 06:07:06 PM »

If you're going to wear it a lot, get suspenders.  :)) The type of copper it'll be made from is really dense.

I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with for a stand. If people decide on some sort of plaque, would it be acrylic or a separate brass plaque that's laser etched or whatever?

Actually Mr Corbin, (bows, 'We're not worthy', etc) I was curious if you had ever thought of a holster for your original KP. Even not considering the weight, carrying a saber in such a way, standing face to face in a duel and drawing sabers seems quite natural. Obviously the real life situation of a physical blade makes the idea less feasible, but not impossible (an open holster of sorts?) Or simply carrying with a blade plug, something I do most of the time with a saber anyway. This post also gives me the opportunity to thank you for those many years (and still) of effort and inspiration you placed in not only the Killer Penny, but the saber community as a whole. The number of people I have read who got into this hobby (myself included) through specifically seeing, or including seeing, the beauty of your saber is astonishing.  I tip my hat to you sir!

Offline Sanjuro

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Sanjuro Systems
    • Sanjuro Systems
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 06:13:59 PM »
This is not for carry  :))

This will be for setting on the altar and meditating on the Force...

Respectfully,
Sanjuro
SANJURO SYSTEMS - Custom Lightsaber Stands, Custom Chassis Disks for Lightsaber builds, and other related items.

My Business - Home

Japan Lightsaber Dueling Guild, Founding Member

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 07:02:37 AM »

This will be for setting on the altar and meditating on the Force...

Respectfully,
Sanjuro

:)) :)) :))

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Corbin_Das

• Force User
  • Keeper of the Killer Penny
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 12:09:37 AM »
Thanks Basalter. I appreciate it.

I sent you an email, so we won't get this thread too far off subject.

Probably a wise choice, though at some point, like me,  you'll probably want to carry it around to show folks.  :)

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 08:14:28 AM »
Since the hilt is more brass than copper by design as a whole, how about an all copper colored stand, with perhaps only the plaque being brass/gold colored?

Also, I would prefer if the arms of the stand are on the taller side (like 3"), so the saber isn't sitting too low and is lifted up a little (think MR LE display stand, for example). 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:17:54 AM by OBI-WAN KENOBI »

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 08:22:13 AM »
I was thinking just the opposite,  I'd rather see predominantly silver mirror with copper and gold accents.  I think that would make the saber "pop" while on the stand rather than blending in :).

Facebook: VVFB

retrousse