fiduciary

Author Topic: Help with LS6 build.  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Osseon

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Help with LS6 build.
« on: April 05, 2018, 05:22:14 AM »
Hopefully this is the right area for this, I'm building my first saber install, and I've googled and youtubed until I can't really take it anymore.  I ran into an issue so I decided to come to you guys about this.

Build album:

So currently I have the thing all wired on a temp circuit. It turns on and everything seems to work, problem is, the Tri-cree LED is burning after only like 10 seconds of use. It isn't warm, its too hot to even hold. Is this normal? I feel like putting it to the heatsink will dissipate some of the heat, but maybe for like 1-2 minutes before its going to be melting my LED panel.

Is there something wrong with the wiring on the LED? I only had room for 4 wires through the heatsink even with the smallest Gauge wire that sabershop had. I haven't wired up the last bit of the Flash on crash LED because two were already causing too much heat and I want to figure the problem out before I move on.

I'll add more pictures and details upon request.

Offline Doaln

• No Force
  • Impressive. Most impressive.
Re: Help with LS6 build.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 03:20:42 PM »
The LEDs do get very hot, which is why we use heatsinks. As long as you use the heatsink (I'm assuming that's the LS6 heatsink kit from TCSS?), you should be fine.

That being said, I think you need to redo your soldering on the soundboard and the LED pad. You are using way too much solder and I think on the soundboard you are even bridging across the speaker and switch. Are you using flux? If not, buy some flux, it's like $5. This is what to look for. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-H-20-1-7-oz-Water-Soluble-Solder-Paste-Flux-301302/100177185

Try this; put a tiny dab of solder on your tip to keep it tinned. Dip the end of the wire in the flux, then hold the tip to the wire while you touch the solder to the wire. It should get nice and coated. Then put a TINY dab of solder onto each pad so they are pre-tinned too. Then, whenever you need to make the connection, you only need to connect the two parts already covered in solders, so it only takes a moment or two. Lay the wire onto the pad, apply the tip, you'll see it melting together, then just lift up. I recommend watching Shameem's install video to see how quickly he is able to solder the parts together by pre-tinning with flux.

TUTORIAL - Nano Biscotte v4 Sound Install on SaberForge Lightsaber - YouTube

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: Help with LS6 build.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 05:48:49 AM »
You should avoid running the LED if it's not mounted to a heatsink.  It will certainly get very hot and you can easily damage the LEDs.  I agree with Doaln.  Doaln's tip about pre-soldering the pads is spot on.  I'll add that I am concerned about the length of the exposed wire on the heatsink, there is a short circuit risk here.  Try to keep the amount of exposed wire to a minimum.  You can also trim any excess with a pair of flush cutters, available at most hardware and hobby shops for around $5. CHP-170 Micro Cutter: Side Cutting Pliers: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

retrousse