fiduciary

Author Topic: Review: 2003 Luke ROTJ  (Read 12979 times)

Offline benlurkin

• Master Force User
  • aka benlurkin
Re: Review: 2003 Luke ROTJ
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2005, 02:26:31 AM »
That's quite close to the EL ROTJ color, I think.  It certainly doesn't compare at all to the LED.  But isn't as blue as some other pics have made it seem.

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2005, 07:30:21 AM »
RE the EL startup not having the grow and retract effect.  it may have been mentioned before but watching Luke in ANH on the DVD the saber blade just appears in bens hut as opposed to growing.  his saber also has a green tint to it on the DVD in the falcon at one point.  i know there is a topic on here somewhere with a link to a site with comparison pics of each of the versions.

Offline trexy

• General of the Old Republic
  • Master Force User
  • At last we will have revenge!
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2005, 07:56:48 AM »
That's quite close to the EL ROTJ color, I think.  It certainly doesn't compare at all to the LED.  But isn't as blue as some other pics have made it seem.

Oh i thought they were talking about the LED version :D

Offline drysdalk

• No Force
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005, 08:51:37 AM »
Whilst it is true that the saber in A New Hope does seem to snap on and snap off, it should be noted that the saber Luke uses in A New Hope is not the same saber featured in Return Of The Jedi - he of course loses his original saber in The Empire Strikes Back in the battle with Darth Vader when his hand is cut off, and has constructed a new (and entirely different) one by the time Return Of The Jedi starts.

To be honest, I think the behaviour of the sabers in A New Hope is, to put it generously, inconsistent - even in The Empire Strikes Back, in which Luke is using the same saber as he is given in A New Hope (albeit with a few modifications), the behaviour of the blade is much more what we are used to - i.e. it stays the one colour, it extends and retracts as we expect, sound effects are those you would normally associate with a lightsaber, etc - and does not behave in the erratic way it is depicted in A New Hope.

In my opinion, the unusual behaviour exhibited by the lightsabers in A New Hope is simply down to their actual properties not being fully established yet by Lucasfilm in terms of how they should look, behave and sound, and then by the time the second movie was under production things were much more clearly defined, giving us the lightsabers we all expect today.
---
My lightsaber collection:
2003 Vader ANH
2005 Mace AOTC
2005 Anakin ROTS
2003 Luke ROTJ
2002 Anakin AOTC
2006 Obi-Wan ROTS

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2005, 12:44:51 PM »
"Whilst it is true that the saber in A New Hope does seem to snap on and snap off, it should be noted that the saber Luke uses in A New Hope is not the same saber featured in Return Of The Jedi - he of course loses his original saber in The Empire Strikes Back in the battle with Darth Vader when his hand is cut off, and has constructed a new (and entirely different) one by the time Return Of The Jedi starts."
i was aware of this i am mearly making the point about how the EL blade doesnot have the grow and retract effect and the saber in ANH doesnot do this either. 

Offline Shadowlynx

• Master Force User
  • Darkness has Fallen
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2006, 08:12:49 PM »
That's a cool review yeah the Luke ROTJ 2003 has the EL or Luminescent light right. I know the Luke ROTJ 2005 has the 64 LED's. I saw the comparasions on some site along time ago. I like the hum on the 2003 it's not as strong but the lower hum makes it sound ancient compared to the new one.

Offline drysdalk

• No Force
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2006, 04:37:47 PM »
Hi;

I've managed to put the images that used to be here back in, so now the review has photos as well.
---
My lightsaber collection:
2003 Vader ANH
2005 Mace AOTC
2005 Anakin ROTS
2003 Luke ROTJ
2002 Anakin AOTC
2006 Obi-Wan ROTS

Offline djforce

• Master Force User
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2006, 12:44:06 PM »
Good review and very informative

Offline Jedi Tom

• Padawan Learner
  • Twisted by the dark side young Skywalker is.
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 06:20:54 PM »
mad review man, i liked the pics u had good work 8) :D :) ;) ;D

retrousse