fiduciary

Author Topic: QUI-GON JINN's Brass Saber 27 Build for KettTares  (Read 8303 times)

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
QUI-GON JINN's Brass Saber 27 Build for KettTares
« on: August 13, 2012, 09:45:42 AM »
These parts will soon transform and merge into...err wait,  wrong show. ;)

Anyway,  here's the parts for the build:

Since this is similar in construction to Master Valon's BS-26, (although the design is more a mix of two other Brass Sabers) I was a bit concerned that the pommel from TCSS was going to be the old style,  with the small ID,  but it turns out to be the new style with the 1.25" ID instead,  so the 14650 batteries will have no problem fitting in this one:

This pommel design will allow the speaker mount v4 and the battery pack to fit inside the pommel,  giving us more room for the larger pack:

Not pictured: The CFv6 that is being supplied by KettTares,  and the RICE port itself.
Construction will start this week,  so stay tuned for updates!

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
Re: QUI-GON JINN's Brass Saber 27 Build for KettTares
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 02:23:17 PM »
Cool. Next time I see Kett I am sure it will be after this is done, and I will get to see this beauty.   :)

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 09:37:48 AM »
So construction on this began this morning,  with the first order of business to be putting a shine on the brass tube:

This is after sanding dry with  320g then 400g.  After that,  I used some 800 and 1000 and wet sanded it. 

After that,  I polished it using some Mother's Aluminum and Mag polish:

I have found that it is much easier to sand and polish these tubes before any cuts are made.  Trying to sand it with a grip cut out in it already is a difficult,  and somewhat dangerous.  It can lead to very sharp edges on the cut out that will cut you while the part is being handled.

I cut the tube into three pieces...one will be set aside as a back up piece if needed,  one was for the emitter,  the other for the hilt:

After deburring and smoothing the edges of the ends of the tubes,  I test fit:

I thought it would add to the layered look if there was a slight gap in between the emitter sleeve and the hilt sleeve:

I might remove a bit more from that to make it stand out more later.

I also have a slight gap on the pommel end:

Next up,  grip windows,  similar to what I did on BS-24.  I am also considering doing a hybrid design of that saber's sleeve and Master Valon's BS-26 sleeve for the rear section.

Offline KettTares

• Force User
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 10:01:40 AM »
These parts will soon transform and merge into...err wait,  wrong show. ;)

Major MAJOR points for the Transformers reference there! xD This is looking absolutely beautiful so far...its, it's so SHINY! 8D
[img width= height=]http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z297/Brookin__/CD-LukeV2Club.jpg[/img]
AFBB Obi-Wan Saber by LDM
Brass Saber 27 (BS-27) by Qui-Gon Jinn
Havoc Stunt OSPP by Vader's Vault
Ascend Stunt Ice Blue by Madcow

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 10:38:58 PM »
These parts will soon transform and merge into...err wait,  wrong show. ;)

Major MAJOR points for the Transformers reference there! xD This is looking absolutely beautiful so far...its, it's so SHINY! 8D
I couldn't help myself...I currently am going through all of my younger brother's old T-formers sorting and cleaning them up for possible sale later this year,  and had all of our Constructicons out and assembled into Devastator.  They're not in the greatest shape (we played with them....hard ;) ),  but they still hold together. Maybe one of these days,  I'll get the rest of mine out of their storage tote and get some pics.

Anyway,  back on topic.....

I started on the sleeve for this yesterday morning:

First thing to do was lay out where the grip cut out is going to be.  To do that,  I used simple masking tape after marking the tube with a wet erase marker.

I set up the drill press for drilling the corners of the grip cut out and drill the first hole:

I then noticed the time,  and had to stop so I could get ready to go to work....I'll drill the rest of the holes and hopefully get the window cut out as well in the morning.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 10:13:57 PM »
So here's the update I meant to post Friday before going to work,  but ran out of time for.

After drilling all four holes,  I used the Dremel with a reinforced cutting wheel and cut in between the holes,  like usual:

With it cut out,  all I had to do next was square it up with hand file,  then de-burr it using a small fine sanding drum on the dremel:

After that,  I sanded the edges smooth by hand using some 800 grit paper,  then 1000 and test fit:

After looking it over and marking where it needed to be worked on a bit more,  I got everything nice and straight and smooth:

With that done I can move to the switch box,  and then we'll need to figure out what  to for the rear grip section.  Here it is with the box mocked up:

It's starting to look like a saber!  ;)

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 09:52:50 AM »
So last week before I went off on a mini-vacation with my family to the Straights of Mackinac (a must see for anyone visiting Michigan ;) ) I managed to make some progress on this saber,  and will be working on it tonight and tomorrow to try and finish off the hilt work.

After getting the grip cut out looking good,  I moved to mounting the switch box:

This front mounting hole for the box will also serve to secure the chassis disc for my half chassis that will mount the CFv6:

This will keep the disc from spinning when the ribbed v-grooved extension is attached to the bottom half of the saber and prevent wire twisting and stress on the wires.

I used the control box holes to mark for the switch and recharge port holes and drilled:

The scrap piece of brass and chrome tubing center the part in the vise and allow the vise to evenly grip the part to prevent slippage and having the MHS section go flying across the workshop. ;)

I used a 5/8" bit for the main switch as usual,  and a 1/2" bit for the recharge port:

Checking the alignment and fit:

To allow clearance for the small momentary switch,  I'll use the Dremel with a reinforced cutting disc to create a slot between the two holes:

Now the fully assembled switch box can fit:

After completing the cuts and deburring the edges,  I checked the fit of the 14650 battery pack:

It is a very good fit,  with some room to spare,  especially since this saber uses the new larger I.D. MPS style 10....the speaker mount can actually fit inside the pommel,  giving more room for a longer battery pack:

I checked the fit of a single 18650:

mounted in this fashion using a TCSS acrylic chassis disc,  this size battery may work, but in the 18500 size,  so I may order the 18500 stick packs TCSS has to use instead of the 14650's....the 18500 has a larger load capacity,  and will provide longer run time due to the .400mAh extra capacity they have.

I don't have an 18500 stick pack on hand for test fitting,  so I used a pair of AA's instead to simulate the length:

If the speaker mount is installed so it fits inside the pommel like this:

It will leave plenty of room for the 18500's,  with a bit to spare:

To make this a better fit due the original design of the saber to use a removable/replaceable battery pack,  I am considering moving the recharge port from the switch box to the space directly in front of the battery,  and underneath the main switch.  I can also locate the RICE port there,  as I did on CS-39:

This will prevent the battery from potentially hitting and putting pressure on the tabs on the recharge port reducing the risk of the tabs breaking off.

In place of the recharge port in the switch box,  I can install a 3mm led from TCSS that has the chrome bezel:

I have red,  green,  and yellow.  I am leaning towards the red one,  and having it wire to the first accent led pad to act as a low battery indicator with the leds in PLI mode:

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 08:59:36 PM »
More progress on this one:

Aligned the hilt with the sleeve and drilled and tapped for the d-ring. 

The plan is to cut a slot here to allow the recharge port to be installed in a pvc c-clip along with the RICE port,  but I am waiting on the new 18500 li-ion battery packs from TCSS to arrive before making a final decision on whether or not to go that route.  The slot will get cut out regardless of the battery pack used or the location of the recharge port....it will reveal the grooves I cut into the MHS extension with my tubing cutter.

The slot for the activation box is nicely aligned:

I put a bit of polish on the pommel:

Next order of business is the brass ring for the emitter;

The plan is to do this in the style of BS-15,  so it will need to be cut shorter.  The difference here will be method of attachment.  BS-15 had the brass ring attached with screws,  this time it will be attached using 2 part epoxy for a smoother look.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 08:00:32 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 08:03:07 AM »
Lookin good!
Support our Font Makers!

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 01:12:49 PM »
Minor update....the 18500 battery packs arrived on Thursday last week,  and I was able to determine if they will fit....and they will.  There may be just enough room to locate the recharge port to the opposite side of the main switch along with the RICE port....it'll be a close fit though. More on that later as I get the work done for it.

I finished off the brass for the blade holder:

All that's left to do on the blade holder is drill and tap for the blade set screw.

I still need to drill for the recharge and RICE ports,  but the slot in the brass sleeve is all done:

Here's a few pictures of the assembled hilt:

I just need to work out the battery and speaker solution,  since the battery pack needs to be removable/replaceable, then it'll be ready for final assembly.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 07:04:30 PM »
I spent a few hours today on this one. I have the battery situation squared away, I think.

I started out by checking the fit after drilling the holes for the RICE and recharge ports:

This saber will need a battery and speaker chassis, so I made up a quick one to test fit everything and get an idea of what will work best for allowing the pack to be swapped out easily:

It should work about like this:

The battery should be held in place between the RICE and charge ports' c-clip and the pommel.

I made the c-clip for those and tested the fit:

It has a nice,  tight fit. It should suffice for a chassis "stop" since it is also snug against the chassis disc that will hold the CFv6 in the ribbed extension.

Checking the fit with the switch box installed:

Looks like this is going to actually work....so far.  ;)

Now on to the chassis:

I cut some of the TCSS aluminum tubing to size,  and partially assembled it.

This entire chassis will need to be removed the change the packs:

The battery pack has a QD on it already,  and I'll add one to the speaker as well.

After further trial and error on getting the fit just right,  here is the finished chassis:

This will slide into the saber like so:

It will stop right there,  since the forward chassis disc will be pressed up against the c-clip.

The pommel can be added at this point:

I have removed and installed both battery packs multiple times,  and not had any issues with the chassis spinning.  It is stopped by the rear screw of the switch box,  and the speaker mount has been sanded smooth using some 800 and 1000 grit paper,  just as added insurance.  ;)

Even though the pommel insert chosen was the recharge port style,  it will not house the recharge port,  obviously.  It does provide a nice view of the speaker's chrome center ;D :

Last thing I did tonight was add the QD plug to the speaker:

I am currently out of the JST female ends,  and will have to get more before I can wire up the recharge port.

Offline C-3P0

• Formerly known as Dave316
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 07:12:36 PM »
Looks great QGJ! I enjoy following your builds, and this one is shaping up to be yet another fine saber!

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 07:35:26 PM »
Looks great QGJ! I enjoy following your builds, and this one is shaping up to be yet another fine saber!
Thanks Goldenrod,  I certainly hope it turns out to be a nice one,  for Kett's Sake.  :D

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 01:33:11 PM »
Did some work on the wiring today:

Above is the recharge and RICE port c-clip.  All the wires are soldered and heat shrunk.  The ground for the RICE port is attached directly to the ground for the battery pack on the recharge port.  The battery pack will plug in to the JST connector.

Here's the switch box wiring:

All those wires make the box a tight fit,  but it does fit:

Here's the view from the pommel end:

Here's how the battery pack will fit into the saber:

The battery pack will slide in partially,  just enough to make the connection for the battery and speaker (speaker plug was added after this pic was taken).

Make the connections then slide in the battery chassis until it stops.

Then add the pommel:

The pommel spins freely over the speaker mount,  so there's no worry about wires twisting.

The saber is now ready for the CFv6:

Kett has mailed it,  just need to wait for the post office to deliver it.

In the meantime,  I will make sure the saber is ready for the board when it comes in.  The last thing I can do until then,  is assemble the led.  I started by pre-tinning the 10-watt green Ledengin:

This will use the new multi-hole heatsink from TCSS and should make installation much easier.  The intention with this is to set it up in a full power type set up,  so it should be a nice vibrant,  green blade.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 09:34:33 AM »
Looks like I forgot to post and update last week...I have had the CF installed in this one for several days now,  and have been using it for the Luxeon V comparison videos I have posted here:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=37012.0

Here's the board getting installed:

Assembling the led module:

Finished:

First ignition:

with a blade:

The underside of the saber where the recharge and RICE ports are located:

The leds while the saber is on:

Those are currently set to the default package...I'll leave the set up of those to Kett....the RICE program is set up on my PC and the saber has been set up using that...makes life much easier for a CF owner. ;)

Final pics and a review video coming up this weekend...most likely on Sunday afternoon/evening.

retrousse