fiduciary

Author Topic: QUI-GON JINN's Brass Saber 12 (BS-12) Build for Khrysaor  (Read 13146 times)

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
Re: QUI-GON-JINN's Brass Saber #12 (BS-12) Build for Khrysaor
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 02:52:36 PM »
I appreciate that,  call...I think you've mentioned it before,  actually....it sounds familiar.  Any way,  We had decided on screws,  so I went with screws:

Looks like the bit walked a little on the second one from the left,  even though I set it with the hammer and punch....they still seem a bit loose,  too,  on the top half of the ring....they actually feel pretty good as far as adding to the grip of the saber...my fingers fit right in bewteen them.  trying to remove thme now,  though to add any kind of glue runs the risk of scratching the powder coating...it is already showing a few small scratches already from sliding the pieces on the first time,  even after a thorough cleaning before hand.  This must be why Tim at TCSS dosn't really like the Super Wet Black...he mentioned to me before that it shows tiny scratches easily.

Now I need to figure out where to put the recharge port...

Offline KI-ADI-MUNDI

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • "TRUST THE PROCESS"
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 05:48:32 PM »
I appreciate that,  call...I think you've mentioned it before,  actually....it sounds familiar.  Any way,  We had decided on screws,  so I went with screws:

Looks like the bit walked a little on the second one from the left,  even though I set it with the hammer and punch....they still seem a bit loose,  too,  on the top half of the ring....they actually feel pretty good as far as adding to the grip of the saber...my fingers fit right in bewteen them.  trying to remove thme now,  though to add any kind of glue runs the risk of scratching the powder coating...it is already showing a few small scratches already from sliding the pieces on the first time,  even after a thorough cleaning before hand.  This must be why Tim at TCSS dosn't really like the Super Wet Black...he mentioned to me before that it shows tiny scratches easily.

Now I need to figure out where to put the recharge port...
How about one layer of electrical tape under each ring?...to make the rings feel more solid...

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act"

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 06:06:29 PM »
Electrical tape adhesive has a tendency to melt and leave a sticky goo  on it's edges....I'm thinking I may rotate the rings,  and drill new holes on either side of the hilt to secure each ring with two screws each.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
So Khrysaor said that they liked the idea of screws along the sides,  so I went with it.  I rotated the 5" extension inside the main sleeve so the screws were on the side,  instead.  I then drilled four new holes on the opposing side:

That's better!  Not only does it look better to me,  but it also has a better feel....almost gives you something to grip when holding the saber....the screws are nicely placed so that your fingers are right between them!

They are mostly in alignment,  too: 

There is only one that the drill bit must have walked a bit when I drilled it,  and that's in the original set I did that was on the bottom of the saber before.  I'm not sure how that happened,  but the new ones I did are in near-perfect alignment.

It looks like,  though,  that I'll have to cut the screws down a bit....I need to get some 1/8" ones,  one of these days,  I guess:

I don't want then interfering with the batteries when they get changed. 

I guess about all that is left is to drill for the recharge port,  the switch,  and the blade retention screw.  That,  and the wiring,  which I won't be able to do until I get the US v2.1's back from Ultrasabers....
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 08:25:16 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 12:30:53 PM »
I had some free time today,  and thought I should do a bit more work to this one,  as well,  as taskmaster's CS-8 saber.  I drilled for the recharge port,  and got started on the hilt's wiring:

I made up the speaker/battery pack and got the recharge port wired up and installed.  This is using my new flush-mount set-up for the recharge port.  There will not be a nut on the outside of this saber,  just like CS-10 and BS-13.

With it all installed,  I added a pair of batteries to test fit the battery pack:

I also test fit the soundboard cradle:

And soldered up the led:

All that is left do do now is drill for the switch,  drill and tap the blade holder for the blade retention set-screw,  hone the socket for the UltraEdge blade,  and install the US 2.1.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 08:27:38 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 03:29:43 PM »
Wow,  I had to really go digging for this topic! 

Anyway,  after finally getting the Ultrasound 2.1's back and verifying that the switch bounce issue was taken care of with my son's saber,  I set about finishing this one off!

So I finally drilled it for the switch hole,  and added the capacitor to the switch leads:

Many thanks to Ri-On Ozryel for pointing out a cheap,  and easy fix for the switch bounce problem on these switches.  I know it may not be the best fix for the issue,  but for now it works! 

I installed the switch (it is a pressed fit inside the hole,  and is not going anywhere!) and began prepping a board for install:

The soundboard will sit on my custom half-chassis and will be held securely by some foam monting tape.  The use of the tape will also make it easier later on if anything goes wrong with the Ultrasound and it needs to be removed.

I pre-wired the board,  and soldered the leads to the saber's wiring:

At this point,  I installed the batteries and tested it....nothing...after a few hours of tedious repair work to my own wiring,  replacement of the capacitor (one of the leds broke off the cap...not sure how that happened....I probably overheated it when I soldered it in) and replacement of the recharge port,  I tested it again:

About time!!!   I went through the menu three times without any trouble,  so I think it's time to assemble it!

Yeah,  that looks gooood!!!

And yes,  it still works:

Beauty shots,  and a video coming up soon!  Stay tuned!

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 04:01:38 PM »
Double Post for

FINAL PICS!!!!

This saber has two blades with it,  but the one pictured is the ultraEdge,  done in Jay-gon Jinn style!  It is 30" long,  and has an exposed length of 28".  Also included with the saber is a Corbin-film Dual-Core Diffusion blade so they can check the simulated extension/retraction this type blade provides.

I'll have to wait until later to do a video....my Father-in-law is here,  and it's time to watch Wheel of Fortune with the TV about as loud as it will go.... ::)

Overall,  I'd say this one didn't turn out too bad!  There are a few issues with it though....there are some nicks on one of the rear grip rings that were in the part when I started and you can see those here:

The brass is also of the same type as what was used on BS-10 and BS-14 and it will eventually be chrome if polished too much.  I'd recommend just wiping it down with a damp,  soft cloth after use and then dry it off.  Don't use any kind of metal polishes on it.  The battery pack is also a little finicky....it might take a few minutes to get it to come out and go back in properly.  I'll demo that in the video.  It will also be documented in the instruction manual,  complete with pictures.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 04:08:35 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline wookieecrisp

• Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee Win!
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 05:32:11 PM »
I've enjoyed watching this saber take shape over all this time. Amazing! This is an awesome saber.

Offline shien7

• Force User
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 05:50:33 PM »
Very nice work with the rings, it turned out great. Beautiful saber.

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 05:54:34 PM »
Wow...this is truly one of you ABSOLUTE BEST builds! The powder coated pieces make a NIIIICE contrast to all the brass used.

Dude...is there ANYTHING that you can't do with sabers?...don't be humble now...you can tell us if there is anything!

Khrysaor's son is truly going to have one of the best sabers out there.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 06:02:27 PM »
Dude...is there ANYTHING that you can't do with sabers?...don't be humble now...you can tell us if there is anything!
Well,  actually there is...I can't machine custom parts....and as of now I have yet to a saber with a crystal chamber,  or pommel...but that will  be changing soon.... ;)

Oh,  and a video will be added to my youtube channel shortly....I just finished shooting about 7+ minute review of it.

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 06:29:42 PM »
Jay,
That is your best saber YET!!!
Awesome color scheme.....and your dremel-fu is flawless!!!

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 06:46:35 PM »
Well,  actually there is...I can't machine custom parts....and as of now I have yet to a saber with a crystal chamber,  or pommel...but that will  be changing soon.... ;)

Oh,  and a video will be added to my youtube channel shortly....I just finished shooting about 7+ minute review of it.

Aren't  your chrome and brass sleeves custom?  ;)

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 06:47:30 PM »
I suppose they are!   :D

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 07:39:40 PM »
Okay,  video has uploaded!  It's bit long,  but it's a more in-depth review of the saber and the functions of the Ultrasound 2.1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju4DYQM9USM

retrousse