fiduciary

Author Topic: LED Advice  (Read 983 times)

Offline Rich_d85

• No Force
LED Advice
« on: December 13, 2016, 01:29:05 PM »
Hi all
 I've bought a Saberforge Prodigal Son ASP as an early Christmas Present, can't wait to get my hands on it!

I've purchased the hilt only and a heatsink, am going to be installing a Prizm with a single cell 3.7v 18650. I've been reading reviews from other owners who have installed a tri Cree/Rebel, who have said that these LED aren't as affective as the ones that are offered by Saberforge,

Now I've read that due to the LED being housed in the grenade section on this model saber, a Tri Cree/Rebel won't be as affective as the ones that Saberforge's put together due to the die being spaced further apart, which has a knock on affect of not allowing the light to pass though the thin neck as easily as an LED star that has all the dice close together.

I have been thinking about installing a 10W RGBW LEDengin, and only wire up the RBG. This would solve the problem of allowing light to pass through the neck section, as all the dice are mounted centrally, but I understand that the LEDengin's are power hungry.
Has anyone run a Prizm with a single cell connected to a 10W LEDengin before? If so what's the run time like, and have you experienced any issues with colour mixing?

Alternatively, if anyone knows of an RBG LED that is of a similar set up to the LEDengin, but are more energy efficient, then I'm all ears.

Cheers

Offline Greebles

• Formerly known as Codeweasel
  • Master Force User
  • “You must unlearn what you have learned.”
Re: LED Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 02:58:46 PM »
The Prizm soundboard should handling driving the LEDEngin with no problems. Your battery pack is a bigger factor in delivering the necessary current for the LED. Also I recommend using a anti-ripple diode on the LED+ when direct driving high current LEDs.

-Denzil

retrousse