fiduciary

Author Topic: What's the Brightest set-up  (Read 6495 times)

Offline obi-007

• No Force
What's the Brightest set-up
« on: July 15, 2012, 11:37:42 AM »
Hi all.  Noob here so please be patient.  I have a CF v5.1, 7.4V li-ion 1600mAh 14500 battery pack, TCSS trans white 1" blade w pp, and various 10W LED Engin LZ4's (multi and single colour).  I want to achieve the brightest main colour as possible.  From my limited testing, it doesn't seem to make much difference to the overall brightness if I run 2 of the multi-colour dies in series or in //.  Haven't tried wiring up an inseries or in ?? two same-colour dies - would that perform better?  What's the best way to achieve maximum brightness, or is just running a single die the best you can get?  Perhaps another type of LED?  Thanks a mil.

Offline STARKILLER

• Lord of the Strings
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • VADER's VAULT MFG
    • Vaders Vault
Re: What's the Brightest set-up
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 11:50:20 AM »
Brightness is such a fickle and subjective thing. There are so many variables. You'd have to ask " what would be the brightest set up for 'x' color" in order to get anything started. The generalization that it makes no difference how you wire a LEDengin for brightness is wrong. It makes a great bit of difference depending on, again, color chosen, and your battery/soundcard setup. So, in order for us to help you at all, pick a color and then we'll go from there.

Offline Johannes Huber

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 02:35:50 PM »
This sounds like a very interesting topic. There seem to be as many ways to hook things together as there are craftsmen and it would be very interesting to compare and contrast the advantages and limitations of the various approaches (even such apparently simple differences as series vs. parallel). I've had the good fortune to study several of General greivous' excellent pre-made modules but it would be very interesting to see more thoughts from the various experts in the field all in one place and on this topic. As for a color, I'd vote for white (if we are voting) since it seems like a nice starting point for most of the other colors (personally I find the most of the blue and green LEDs a bit too saturated for my tastes, but a filter or two works very nicely with white even if it does lower brightness a little), but any color would be interesting. Please, please continue this thread :)...

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 02:39:32 PM »
to directly answer the question id say the brightest set up is a makoto V4 blade
which is basically 3 or 4 led strips all wired together in one blade and it is incredibly bright

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline obi-007

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 05:48:58 PM »
Brightness is such a fickle and subjective thing. There are so many variables. You'd have to ask " what would be the brightest set up for 'x' color" in order to get anything started. The generalization that it makes no difference how you wire a LEDengin for brightness is wrong. It makes a great bit of difference depending on, again, color chosen, and your battery/soundcard setup. So, in order for us to help you at all, pick a color and then we'll go from there.

Thanks Mace... let's assume I interested in a resistored blue & green dies in // (ergo cyan colour).  Again I'm using CF v5.1, 7.4V li-ion 1600mAh 14500 battery pack, TCSS trans white 1" blade w pp, and have various 10W LED Engin LZ4's (multi and single colour).  How to make it bright as possible?  Also, I understand the amperage on the CF can be raised (what's the max value I can safely set it to?).  If I want real bright, what other colours work best?

Offline DarthAlice880

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 06:45:33 PM »
 This isnt quite inline with a sound-board set-up, this is a saber running 4 14500's a 1000Ma Buck-puck and a GGGG leg-engin wired in series with all 4 dies running, it's pushing 16.2 volts , it's almost too bright
[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/d7de3aa0746a70e0.png[/img][/url]

Offline Darthlwin

• Master Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 08:17:58 PM »
I believe you can also explore the new quad rebels? I'm not too sure if I got the name right?

That way, you can get GGBB, plus I think each led is brighter compared to the ledengin too.

Offline obi-007

• No Force
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 02:39:28 PM »
This isnt quite inline with a sound-board set-up, this is a saber running 4 14500's a 1000Ma Buck-puck and a GGGG leg-engin wired in series with all 4 dies running, it's pushing 16.2 volts , it's almost too bright

Nice indeed.  Too bright - nah.  No sound, well that's not so good.

Offline DarthAlice880

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 05:44:32 PM »
 Brightness was the main point, (4 14500's take up the same space as a petit crouton and 2 14500's ) I have built others with sound and am getting excited to see the new Nano come out. This is a sound model with traditional leather tsuka wrap a Lux V bin 3 Cyan, NS 3.0 and 2 14500's, (it's almost as bright as the 10 watter)
[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/d7de3aa0746a70e0.png[/img][/url]

Offline obi-007

• No Force
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 05:57:03 PM »
Brightness was the main point, (4 14500's take up the same space as a petit crouton and 2 14500's ) I have built others with sound and am getting excited to see the new Nano come out. This is a sound model with traditional leather tsuka wrap a Lux V bin 3 Cyan, NS 3.0 and 2 14500's, (it's almost as bright as the 10 watter)

Hey, thanks for responding to a noob's post.  Sorry, I should have clarified "brightest w CF sound".  Looks like you have been doing this hobby a while, so please keep in touch.  I just completed my first build (using the specs previously listed).  I decided to go with the LED ENGIN 10 W 4 die all deep red (love this red compared to the orangy regular red).  Brightest set-up was to wire 2 dies in series for the main LED, and a single die for the FOC.  Worked-out pretty well, albeit I'd still like to get a loy more brightness.  I'd appreciate any comments, but please keep the lingo simple for the noob  :)

Offline Drazhar

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 06:28:49 PM »
*waits for Sunrider*

Yeah, he'll get this.

Offline obi-007

• No Force
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 07:17:19 PM »
BTW, Tim at TCSS no longer ships 14500 battery packs Internationally... anyone know where I can buy some 7.4V 1600ma 4x14500's set-ups?

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 07:33:57 PM »
Raw batteries can be purchased through Dealextreme and you can make your own packs.

Tim stopped shipping International due to USPS restrictions.  Hopefully that will change when the law is reviewed early next year.

Facebook: VVFB

Offline obi-007

• No Force
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 03:16:42 PM »
Thanks - agreed, making your own packs is time consuming.

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 03:24:41 PM »
Tim stopped shipping International due to USPS restrictions.  Hopefully that will change when the law is reviewed early next year.

amen to that.... luckily i had a very generous person purchase and send me some batterys from tcss

i really do hope they change the law

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3