fiduciary

Author Topic: Recharge Ports and Kill Switches  (Read 1080 times)

Offline ShtokyD

• Mining Colony Members
  • Force User
  • whatever
    • My facebook page
Recharge Ports and Kill Switches
« on: January 25, 2020, 02:26:32 PM »
Best Recharge Ports and Kill Switches for sabers

Here is a chart of tested most popular Recharge Ports and Kill Switches for use in saberbuilding. Keep in mind that Neopixel/PlecterPixel/Pixelblades constructed blades drain A LOT of current (3-10 Amps for a standard 2-strip blade, up to 14-15 Amps with 3-strip blades) comparing to Tri-Cree LED modules (1-3 Amps). But all Recharge Ports and Kill Switches in such small size we use in sabers are only rated officially to 5-6 Amps maximum by manufacturers. But what happens if we pull more amps through them? The answer is - they will resist and heat up, and at some current level they will just melt inside your saber. So I tested them all to find out which current level they really can handle and where will be the "melting" point.

As you can see from the chart below our popular Switchcraft 2.1mm Recharge Port can stand up to 8 Amps no problem without causing any heat or resistance issues, and most likely will be fine at 9 and 10 Amps as well, but will heat up slightly. Over 10 Amps it's not recommended. The cheap 1.3mm Recharge Port is crap really, so must be replaced for all sabers with a better quality CUI one (already available from TCSS, SaberBay Etsy and KR-sabers (TheSaberArmory) stores).

« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 02:44:40 PM by ShtokyD »

Offline Greebles

• Formerly known as Codeweasel
  • Master Force User
  • “You must unlearn what you have learned.”
Re: Recharge Ports and Kill Switches
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 08:03:27 AM »
Excellent reference!

I truly appreciation the work put into preparing this.

-Denzil

retrousse