fiduciary

Author Topic: Saber Skins and full range of effects - the Proto Knight saber board  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Obi_1

• Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
I'm happy to announce the next member of my Proto Saber Platform, the Proto Knight.

For more info: Home of the Arduino Saber

Because a good demo says more than a thousand words, I put here a video to show how the Knight expands on the capabilites of the Duel, bringing you a full effect saber board for both in-hilt and neopixel blades.

Some highlights and new features:

[Lock-up on Clash]: timing accurate triggering of the lockup effect on a Clash

[Blaster-block-on-the-move]: activate blaster bolt block mode to deflect incoming shots by gesture detection

[Saber Skins]: now this needs a bit of more revealing. It is a unique feature of the Knight, which allows you to personalize the saber for different use scenarious. The Knight comes with three skins: Warrior, Guardian and Hero.
  • Warrior lets you concentrate on saber duels, with swings and clahes (i.e. similar to Proto Duel)
  • Guardian will add blaster deflect functionality to protect the saber wielder and allies.
  • Hero will unlock the full set of features, including single button triggered lockup and blaster bolt deflects for cons and showcasing.

[Extended saber fonts]: 8xswings, 8xclashes, as well as lockup and 2xblaster sounds

Offline Don

• Force User
    • Ludosport Lightsaber Combat Academy
Re: Saber Skins and full range of effects - the Proto Knight saber board
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 08:50:38 AM »
Out of curiosity ...
Do the Knight and Duel boards still support FX-Sabers OS or they are "closed" boards in some ways?
Master Sabersmith at the Ludosport Lightsaber Combat Academy Italy

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 10:09:24 AM »
Out of curiosity ...
Do the Knight and Duel boards still support FX-Sabers OS or they are "closed" boards in some ways?

These are intended to be non-programmable turn-key boards as are all of the "Proto" series.

For the programmable boards, you'll want one of the "DIYino" series which come with bootloaders installed and ready to be programmed like any Arduino board with FXSOS or whatever you cook up on your own.

Offline Obi_1

• Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 07:52:17 AM »
Out of curiosity ...

Buongiorno Don,

As Jake said, the Proto boards are different from the DIYino series in that, that they are ready-to-use and come already with a scalable saber code.
The software - while reflecting all the learning from LSOS and FX-SaberOS - is also different from the open-source one. Nevertheless if as a by-product of developing the Proto saber firmware I come across anything which could be improved in FX-SaberOS, I will do it. Still, some of the new features will be exclusive to the Proto boards like the Saber Skins, Pixel Blade lenght setting etc.

Offline Don

• Force User
    • Ludosport Lightsaber Combat Academy
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 12:13:34 AM »
Many thanks for the clarification !
Master Sabersmith at the Ludosport Lightsaber Combat Academy Italy

Offline yodadawa

• No Force
  • From Spain loving ligthsabers
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 02:42:51 AM »
I hope to try this board soon.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 05:30:29 PM »
Andras just announced a big price drop on these on FB: 30% off year-end clearance sale! That's ~50 bucks for a multi-font saber board with switchable fonts, deep sleep, and USB charging. Neo-pixel and RGB versions are same price!

(Sorry Andras if I am stealing your thunder, I just thought it was a great deal.)

retrousse