fiduciary

Author Topic: DARTH MAUL QUESTIONS!  (Read 8824 times)

Offline darth ian

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
DARTH MAUL QUESTIONS!
« on: April 06, 2007, 04:12:07 PM »
hey guys. im gonna get a darth maul very soon and i was wondering if you guys could help me...
FIRST:
i hav heard that the blade is thicked than the other ffxs-does this mean it is duarable?
SECOND:
is it nice and bright?
THIRD:
i know this is a bit dumb, but.....after practice, does it get eaisier 2 spin?
FOURTH:
wat do u guys think?

thx guys-lets hear an applause for darth maul!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
Re: DARTH MAUL QUESTIONS!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 04:43:18 PM »
 ;)Yes darth ian that's one cool lightsaber!!Yes it is brite and yes it's duarable;but;as you know these sabers are not for dueling!!If you had a maul with say a luxeon blade;now that's another matter!!!Anyway I got one and if you need me to I have a picture of mine fired up. 8)

Offline Lord Clueless

• Force User
  • Saber Lord
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 10:15:15 PM »
 ;D
Hey dajoquim,
im darth ian, but i made a new account because i didnt like the name of 'darth ian'-i was gonna PM yoda bout it but i had "NO FORCE" so there was no point in doing so. anyway-could i plz see a pic of ur luxeon darth maul?

thankyou very much. the only problem is..............my dad says its a waste of money 2 get another saber-but i got him to see the light side of the force. could you give me a rough estimate of wat a darth maul luxeon would be? can you include shipping-(i live in Australia)

P.S:i will go on my darth ian account just to let you no that im telling the truth

-Thanks! ;D

Offline darth ian

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
just letting you know that Lord Clueless is my main account now

-Thx

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Great Sith Leader and Hero
  • Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 06:20:08 AM »
The Maul saber takes some getting used to, even if you're an accomplished martial artist, like myself and some of the other members on here.  Master Anakin Skywalker is another top notch authority on the topic, as he did the FX-Saber Spin video.

Now in my style of martial arts, the bo staffs we learned to use (many eons ago...lol) were typically from the floor to your eyebrow in length.  That was the standard way of gauging how you should cut your staff.  Now that was for a standard staff, not to include a tapered staff or any other variety.

The problem with the Maul is that it is VERY LONG.  Now, you could do what Master Kit Fisto did, and get one customized by ULTRA that has shorter blades (I believe his has dual 28" blades instead of the normal 36" blades, but he may be able to add to that information.)

I personally chose to get the normal size Maul, because I wanted one more specific to the movie.  Ray Parks isn't all that tall of a guy himself, so I figured it would just take some practice, because the total length from floor up goes WAY higher than my eyebrow at 5'8".  LOL...

The major problems that I had to make adjustments for was twirling behind the back.  I find that I have to bend over at the waist more than taller people, or else the saber will hit the ground and scratch/catch.

Here's another idea I recommended for my friend, who was getting upset about consistently dropping/banging his Maul and was afraid to scratch it. 

Purchase yourself from Asian World of Martial Arts or any other Martial Arts vendor that allows you to get a bo staff to length, or get one that is longer that you can cut down and practice with THAT.  If you drop it or damage it, you won't be bummed because a full STAFF SABER Maul will run you $140+.  If you get the Luxeon converted ULTRA SABER, I believe it is $269 or so.

So, if you practice with the bo-staff first, then in no time you'll find that you can handle the Maul with little problem.

Also, if you get a bo-staff, I recommend getting one made out of cocobola wood.  It is a denser, heavier wood but it will act like a medicine ball like in sports.  Rattan is lighter, but if you practice with a heavier wood, then when you pick up the Maul you'll find that your twirls are MUCH faster.

This is how I practiced ESCRIMA/ARNIS in American Kenpo Karate.  I spent the extra money on cocobola sticks, and I never regretted it.  By the time I picked up the rattan sticks, I looked like a 2 rotor helicopter   :D

A lot of information for you here.  Hope it wasn't too long winded.  I'm sure some of the other martial artists and self-taught saber spinners will add their input also.

Welcome to the forums and get yourself that Maul.  You won't regret it!

:D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 10:08:55 AM by DARTH VADER »

Offline Ketme-Hamje Traya

• Experienced Force User
  • "Our path brought us here for a reason..."
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 07:15:53 AM »
the specs of the Maul saber at full length is about 7 foot 4 inches. It was very hard for me to spin the monster at first, but after I got the basics of some of Anakin's tutorials down pat, I got a lot faster. of course I'm also 6 foot 4 inches tall, so the behind the back spins were a bit easier than I thought.

I personlly have no martial arts experence so follow what the Darth Vader said, and look around for some spinning tutorials.
"...there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."
-Darth Traya

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 10:29:07 AM »
As many here already know, I'm a HUGE advocate of the Darth Maul Double-Bladed lightsaber.  I absolutely LOVE the thing.  I have never had so much fun with one saber as I have with the Maul.   Even me just talking about it right now makes me want to go outside and start practicing with it.(which, I will!)
The great thing about the "Full" Maul is that it is SO many different sabers all in one!
1. You get the full double-bladed Saber Staff
2. You get two matching dual lightsabers
3. You get a Single lightsaber in two different weights.*

*What I mean by two different weights is that you have the option for using a single Maul in the normal "Battle-Damaged" form or in a "Balanced" form.    You, of course, get the normal BD form by just using the normal endcap.  You can also leave the coupler, that attaches both sabers together, on to help create a more balanced weapon with a slightly longer grip area.  When I do Single saber practice, its mostly with my "balanced" Maul.  Also, with the weight of the Full Maul it does give you a great workout for your shoulders, arms wrists...heck, everything if you are moving around while spinning.

As for dueling, if you want to use any "stock" Master Replicas Force FX lightsaber, then the Maul is the one to use.  It has the thickest blade of any FFX to date.  Performance wise it was HEAVILY tested at San Diego Comic Con last year by a few of us in our choreographed duels and we used light strikes to heavy strikes and the Maul passed with flying colors (The Obi-Wan wasn't so lucky).

Thanks to the guys(DV and Ketme) that mentioned my Tutorials.  They do help in getting the basic movements of moving the Saber Staff around and should work for most people of any size (excluding Ewoks).

If you want a FFX to have Fun with and not have to worrya bout destroying if dropped, then the Maul is the ONE!

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline Darth Raijlin

• Great Sith Leader and Hero
  • Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
    • White Dragon Academy
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 10:41:47 AM »
That is so true, former self (sorry, can't help it whenever I speak to Anakin...lol).

I was working the one day on some personal spins in my back yard and I was doing a modified "Maul spin, except lauching the saber while it was spinning into the air, and catching it on the way back down and immediately going right into a behind the back spin.

Well, my 2 year old came running up to me to me with his brothers Yoda's FX and smacked me in the shins, thinking he would battle the evil Darth Maul. 

Well, needless to say, it only takes a split second to lose focus.  I made the mistake of looking down at him, with the Maul still launched into the air spinning in the air, ... on it's way back down.

Needless to say, the saber survived smacking me in the back of the head, bouncing off this rock...lol...and then slamming into the ground.  An explitive escaped my lips, not because my head now hurt, but I was afraid I would have a blown LED.  I picked it up, and sure enough it worked great.

My wife simply shook her head because she was concerned about me, and I was concerned about the Saber.  LOL...

I told her next time she tells our son to: go attack the evil Sith, make sure I know about it first  :)

Two positive notes:

1)  The saber proved it can handle a punishement
2)  At least he hit my shins.  Two year olds are really at the wrong height...he could have hit slightly higher....ouch   ;D

Offline Super sith 22

• Master Force User
  • ROCK ON!
    • sabercity
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 03:11:22 PM »
my dad says its a waste of money 2 get another saber-but i got him to see the light side of the force.

I used the excuse "it's okay, they're collectables" now i have 6 (7 if you count the saber staff as 2 sabers) lol ;)
"A gun is just a tool, like a hammer or an alligator." -Homer Simpson

Offline Jin

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 05:30:31 PM »
Just have to reconfirm that the Maul is really tough. I fight my friend who has the Maul with an Ultrasabers thick-blade and the Maul hasn't had a blown LED yet. Some of the strikes we do are fairly heavy as well. Unlike the other people here, however, I do not think it is that bright. It will also get easier to spin as you practice more. Oh yeah, it also eats up AAAs fast. Very fast.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 05:32:35 PM by Jin »

Offline Lord Clueless

• Force User
  • Saber Lord
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 05:52:23 PM »
thx for all your opinions guys!
the verdict is out-I'm definatly gonna get one!
i lured my dad over 2 the dark side...... :P

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 06:17:11 PM »
 ;)Here's a pic of mine lol!!

Offline Lord Clueless

• Force User
  • Saber Lord
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 11:14:55 PM »
Nice.

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 10:55:11 PM »
That is so true, former self (sorry, can't help it whenever I speak to Anakin...lol).

I was working the one day on some personal spins in my back yard and I was doing a modified "Maul spin, except lauching the saber while it was spinning into the air, and catching it on the way back down and immediately going right into a behind the back spin.

Well, my 2 year old came running up to me to me with his brothers Yoda's FX and smacked me in the shins, thinking he would battle the evil Darth Maul. 

Well, needless to say, it only takes a split second to lose focus.  I made the mistake of looking down at him, with the Maul still launched into the air spinning in the air, ... on it's way back down.

Needless to say, the saber survived smacking me in the back of the head, bouncing off this rock...lol...and then slamming into the ground.  An explitive escaped my lips, not because my head now hurt, but I was afraid I would have a blown LED.  I picked it up, and sure enough it worked great.

My wife simply shook her head because she was concerned about me, and I was concerned about the Saber.  LOL...

I told her next time she tells our son to: go attack the evil Sith, make sure I know about it first  :)

Two positive notes:

1)  The saber proved it can handle a punishement
2)  At least he hit my shins.  Two year olds are really at the wrong height...he could have hit slightly higher....ouch   ;D

The Maul  HURTS when it hits the noggin. Still nursing a nice big goose egg. Strange thing; KIDS ARE DRAWN TO THIS SABER! My eight year old snapped his Anakin ROTS on my Maul's hilt (he hits HARD), and my four year old almost got her bell rang by it another time when she sneaked up behind  me with her hasbro Qui-Gon whilst I was doing a behind the back...

Both are fine though...At least until they grow up and try to usurp my power. ;D

Offline Ketme-Hamje Traya

• Experienced Force User
  • "Our path brought us here for a reason..."
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 04:08:30 PM »
Pray the Force will serve you better than them in that time, two proficent Force users against one is a bad outcome for the individual...

...but yeah, I've dropped mine countless times and not untill now do I have an LED in either blade that is fading  :'(
"...there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."
-Darth Traya

retrousse