fiduciary

Author Topic: Gentle Giant Stormtrooper collectable?  (Read 964 times)

Offline kpodolski

• Force User
  • The second place winner is the first place loser.
Gentle Giant Stormtrooper collectable?
« on: February 03, 2010, 03:55:27 PM »
I was going through this months issue of Previews and they listed the Gentle Giant 12" Stormtopper which is to be released later this summer at $195 retail.  Anyone planning on buying this one?  Reason I ask is that it seems like the "collectability" of GG is in the toilet.  I've been buying GG stuff for years and overall I am happy with them.  My biggest problem with them is that the overall value of GG on the used market is terrible.  I don't buy GG an an investment (that would be stupid) but it seems that most of the statues I own are,  literally and figuratively, worthless on the open market. 

The funny thing is that I can buy the statue at wholesale (40% off) and I'm still hesitant to purchase!  Personaly, I think GG's biggest problem is that their "limited editon" numbers are too high.  If the Stormtrooper statue was 1500 pieces I'd be all over it.  But I can almost gaurantee you that this statue will have a run of about 5000 units (give or take).  The first clue is that GG isn't providing the actual "limited edition" number.  I think they base their run on the pre-orders they take in and then add another 20% or so for good measure.  I don't know, maybe it's just me...

retrousse