fiduciary

Author Topic: Universal Pixel Blades & Blade Plugs  (Read 2412 times)

Offline jbkuma

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Universal Pixel Blades & Blade Plugs
« on: March 09, 2018, 02:53:45 PM »
Below is a diagram of how I've been wiring my blades for the past couple years using GX16-9 aviation connectors.  This scheme has performed very well for me and provides a great deal of flexibility.

This configuration allows for programming and charging through the blade socket and can be used for FX-SaberOS, TeensySaber, Plecter Labs and NEC types.  It also allows the blade or plug to be used as an activation key (only powered when something is plugged in) which eliminates the need for a kill key.  Blade plugs can feature smaller, less power hungry LEDs allowing for extended run time for display and demonstration.

Here are some of my various prototypes and finished plugs:

The various parts used in their construction are available through my shop, or custom solutions are available by request.  I will be posting some pre-built kits in the near future.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 02:54:47 PM by jbkuma »

Offline Seth Skywalker

• Padawan Learner
  • That lightsaber... is mine!
Re: Universal Pixel Blades & Blade Plugs
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 12:33:07 PM »
Where can I buy these special neopixle connectors?

Offline Jediseth

• Force User
  • Jediseth sound fonts available at saberfont.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 06:19:34 PM »
Awesome!!

Offline jbkuma

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 09:23:45 PM »
Most of my orders have really been custom orders (like at least 80%), but I do have a shop at Storenvy  I also have an Etsy shop that I will be moving to soon. I will have both 12mm and 16mm pixel switches by the end of the month (full conversion, not like the ones I previously posted) and I plan on launching my Etsy shop with those.  I've also had a Shapeways shop for about 2 years selling some of these parts (only a portion of my parts are available here).  Generally speaking, it is cheaper and faster for me to print the parts at home.

That being said, since most of my actual orders have been custom, I have models for pretty much any blade or hilt size (1, 7/8, 3/4, thick, thin, MHS bladeholder, DIY, etc...)

If you are interested in either parts shown here or elsewhere, the best way to order is to email me directly (see profile) with what you are looking for rather than going through one of the shops.  I will almost certainly give you a better price and make sure you get what you need and everything will be test fitted to confirm accuracy (for those parts it's possible for me to test fit).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 09:40:29 PM by jbkuma »

retrousse