fiduciary

Author Topic: Darth Maul is back (Officially)  (Read 52367 times)

Offline Master Finariel

• Force User
Re: Darth Maul is back (Officially)
« Reply #195 on: February 01, 2013, 09:04:36 PM »
I think some characters are best left in the grave. Darth Maul being one of them. He seemed like he had the potential to be an extremely powerful Sith, too bad he became one of Sidious' pawns in the movies. Clone Wars should have left him dead. I wouldn't have minded if Darth Maul's ghost appeared in the series, but they just ruined a somewhat significant plot point in The Phantom Menace. I mean, you watch Qui Gon die in front of his apprentice and Obi uses intellect to outwit Maul and avenge his master, oh wait, JK he didn't really kill Maul, sorry Obi, we had you going there for a second. I think they just needed something to do with Savage after he failed to kill Dooku and they decided Maul was their best option.
"Loss of time brings least pleasure to the wise."

Offline Green Ranger

• Formerly known as Darth Payne
  • Master Force User
« Reply #196 on: February 06, 2013, 03:44:50 AM »
My question is, what did Sidious mean by "I have other plans for you", as the last thing he said to Maul?

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #197 on: February 06, 2013, 03:52:42 AM »
Send him to kill Ahsoka to push Anakin further towards the Dark Side perhaps?
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #198 on: February 06, 2013, 06:14:19 AM »
I think some characters are best left in the grave. Darth Maul being one of them. He seemed like he had the potential to be an extremely powerful Sith, too bad he became one of Sidious' pawns in the movies. Clone Wars should have left him dead. I wouldn't have minded if Darth Maul's ghost appeared in the series, but they just ruined a somewhat significant plot point in The Phantom Menace. I mean, you watch Qui Gon die in front of his apprentice and Obi uses intellect to outwit Maul and avenge his master, oh wait, JK he didn't really kill Maul, sorry Obi, we had you going there for a second. I think they just needed something to do with Savage after he failed to kill Dooku and they decided Maul was their best option.

It was worth it, just to see Sidious wipe the floor with them dual welding 2 sabers.

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #199 on: February 06, 2013, 10:51:07 AM »
Agreed.

We've seen Jedi vs Sith in the OT.

We've seen Jedi vs Jedi in the PT.

But AFAIK this is the first time we've ever seen Sith vs Sith?

And a really EPIC saber duel too...one of the best in TCW yet.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #200 on: February 06, 2013, 04:25:45 PM »
Agreed.

And I like that we've finally seen that on screen. We've heard time and time again that happens within the ranks of the Sith. I quote Bastila Shan when she fell to the Dark Side in KOTOR:

"Have you forgotten the ways of the Sith already, Revan? Eventually I will challenge my master. If I am worthy, he will die by my hand and I will become the new Sith Master. Then I will take on my own apprentice and the cycle will begin again. This is the way of the Sith. It is how we assure our leaders are the strongest and most worthy."

While this wasn't the exact case in this AWESOME fight, it still exemplifies that the Sith fight amongst themselves all the time.

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world!

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Offline Master Finariel

• Force User
« Reply #201 on: February 06, 2013, 06:05:37 PM »

It was worth it, just to see Sidious wipe the floor with them dual welding 2 sabers.

I have to admit that it was a quite amazing duel, plus the animated Sidious didn't make all those....faces... ::)

After all that I'm not sure which side I stand for. However, I never liked the Nightsisters/Mother Talzin part of TCW, so I still don't like that part of the Maul/Savage plot.
"Loss of time brings least pleasure to the wise."

Offline Luis88

• Master Force User
« Reply #202 on: February 06, 2013, 07:21:09 PM »
I think Darth Maul talks too much in TCW. In the EU and TPM he was a silent sith assassin and i really miss that quality in him and that's what made him such a great and interesting character (and the double edged lightsaber).

Should he kill ashoka? Maybe, but Dooku could do it as well which validates Anakin beheading dooku in ROTS though seeing anakin losing with with Maul would be so much cooler. Ashoka may not even die at all.

Offline Big Boss

• Formerly known as phophjoph
  • Master Force User
  • there is only room for one Snake and one Big Boss
« Reply #203 on: February 06, 2013, 08:13:52 PM »
Agreed.

Actually the first sith vs sith duel was between Ventress, Savage VS Dooku from last season. It was pretty good, but not as good as the one with sidious and maul.

I really liked how obi won was portrayed in the last couple of episodes. Especially how he acted in front of maul, obi kept to the jedi code and didn't let anger take him over even when maul killed the Duchess of mandalore, whom obi loved dearly.  Maul also killed qui gon and obi still didn't lose it. Really shows how different Obi and ani were in the path each took.

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."-The Boss

"Be like a duck. Calm on the surface, but always paddling like the dickens underneath"-Michael Caine

Offline EyeoftheRaven

• Master Force User
« Reply #204 on: February 06, 2013, 08:26:02 PM »
If Maul does come back next season, I hope they finally go the full deal with his double bladed saber and black robes.  No goat legs like last season, no green half open tunic like this year, and no broken single side saber please.

Offline Big Boss

• Formerly known as phophjoph
  • Master Force User
  • there is only room for one Snake and one Big Boss
« Reply #205 on: February 06, 2013, 09:02:13 PM »
If Maul does come back next season, I hope they finally go the full deal with his double bladed saber and black robes.  No goat legs like last season, no green half open tunic like this year, and no broken single side saber please.

Same here. When Maul first came back I was planning on seeing him with a rebuilt staff. Seeing two Zabraks with a staff facing off against sidious would have been awesome, though likely much harder to choreograph. 

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."-The Boss

"Be like a duck. Calm on the surface, but always paddling like the dickens underneath"-Michael Caine

Offline Wolfen

• Master Force User
« Reply #206 on: February 06, 2013, 10:02:45 PM »
It did look pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 10:06:01 PM by Wolfen »

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"-Ben Franklin

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #207 on: February 06, 2013, 11:28:23 PM »
Ventress was never a Sith, neither was Savage...they were 'dark jedi' apprentices of Sith Apprentices not Sith themselves.

Darth Bane's post Ruusan Sith reformation Rule of Two: Two there are; a Master to embody Power, an Apprentice to crave it. No more no less.

TPM - Sidious, Maul

AOTC - Sidious, Tyranus

TCW - Sidious, Tyranus

ROTS - Sidious, Tyranus then Sidious, Vader

ANH - Sidious, Vader

ESB - Sidious, Vader

ROTJ - Sidious, Vader

Dark Jedi don't count as Sith - Starkiller NOT Sith, Mara Jade NOT Sith, Ventress NOT Sith, Savage NOT Sith because they were neither the Master, nor the Apprentice of the Master.

Maul however WAS the 'official' Apprentice of Sidious - so is real Sith - except that Sidious thought him dead so took Dooku as his new Apprentice which created a POTENTIAL problem for the Rule Of Two when Maul turned up alive.

Notice that Sidious did NOT attack Maul immediately...it didn't matter to him if Maul and Savage ran around causing trouble for the Jedi Order, Separatists or Republic as 'dark jedi' anymore than it really mattered that Tyrannus trained Ventress or Grievous, or that Vader trained Starkiller...

Its only when Maul DECLARED himself and Savage to be Sith 'publicly' to the Galaxy by saying it to the Mandalorians and Black Sun that Sidious then HAD to act directly. If he hadn't then it would have put Tyranus authority in doubt [if Sidious first Apprentice is still Sith under Rule of TWO then how can Tyrannus claim to be a THIRD Sith?] and worse by declaring himself AND Savage Sith he is directly challenging Sidious' claim to being Master...for that Savage had to die and Maul had to be PUBLICLY 'chastized' and 'stripped' of any legitimate claim to being a real Sith to reaffirm Sidious' position as Sith Master, Tyrannus' as his official Sith Apprentice, reaffirm the primacy of the Rule Of Two and prevent 'devaluation of the Sith 'brand' to the Galactic public.

Which was the point of that Sith versus Sith duel.

Offline Green Ranger

• Formerly known as Darth Payne
  • Master Force User
« Reply #208 on: February 07, 2013, 01:09:05 AM »
Or in simpler terms, Maul declared himself to be the "True Lord of the Sith" to the Death Watch in the previous episode. Sidious saw this potential uprising as a threat and decided to kill off his competition. The same reason he killed his master during TPM. Sidious simply wants complete control, and this is why he claims the rule of two. It allows him to have someone to do his bidding whom he can control, while having total say so over each and every plan carried out.

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #209 on: February 07, 2013, 07:04:50 AM »
I think Darth Maul talks too much in TCW. In the EU and TPM he was a silent sith assassin and i really miss that quality in him and that's what made him such a great and interesting character (and the double edged lightsaber).

I disagree.
Only because it keeps Sam Witwer involved in star wars voice over work.  8)

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

retrousse