fiduciary

Author Topic: Deep groove Qui from Khal  (Read 5226 times)

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
Deep groove Qui from Khal
« on: February 17, 2016, 07:56:37 AM »
I just got the Qui in from Khal and I have to say that this thing is absolutely beautiful.  Also he mentioned that the machinist used screen captures and such and not actually an MR but I got to say it is actually almost identical to the MR.  The only thing really different is the pommel and maybe a tad smaller.  I do not say that to say one is more screen accurate than the other (I am not going to toil over screen captures lol) but just to say that those who consider the MR Qui to be accurate will be very happy with this saber.

I will see if I can get some pics a little later.

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
Re: Deep groove Qui from Khal
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 10:35:44 AM »
That's great news! How install friendly is it? I know we'll have to drill and tap holes for blade and heatsink retention but what about room for a board and speaker? I believe the sales thread mentioned that the battery would go up under the switch section. Will it be really close to the heatsink? I'm a bit concerned about having heat near my li-ion. Also thinking about aux switch placement, recharge port and soundcard access. Just curious to see what your plans are ahead of mine arriving.

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 10:44:56 AM »
Pretty much any board you want will fit. A bass speaker will also fit with a holder needing to be made ( but i think Khal is having something designed for that ). Khal has a chassis on shapeways and a tact swith holder too. A 18650 will fit with a squeeze and I'm a little worried by the proximity of the led module too. So time for a search for some type of slim flat battery as the main handle has tons of space.
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline xwingband

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 12:58:06 PM »
I wouldn't be worried about the heat unless the heatsink doesn't have good contact with the whole hilt. I would suggest 7AAA of NiMH.  I know li-ions are all the rage, but 7.2V isn't enough for these tri-LED configurations people are doing in many cases.  You can split the cells up and actually be sure your LEDs when fresh are running at full power.

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 04:05:52 PM »
That's great news! How install friendly is it? I know we'll have to drill and tap holes for blade and heatsink retention but what about room for a board and speaker? I believe the sales thread mentioned that the battery would go up under the switch section. Will it be really close to the heatsink? I'm a bit concerned about having heat near my li-ion. Also thinking about aux switch placement, recharge port and soundcard access. Just curious to see what your plans are ahead of mine arriving.

Since its all open I think it will actually be easier to install than with a normal hilt (similar to my MR Qui I did where it was all open).  If you use an 18650 the battery will be right up against the LED holder.  I put a piece of 3m foam tape on top of the battery (to insulate it just for trial purposes) and with that the LED holder was flush with the top of the neck (where its unscrewed).  You can push it up the throat a little and it will be fine.  The only drawback is the LED holder is a little loose in there but I figure I can shim it up a little with some thin copper I have to make it sit with a set screw better and not be crooked.  If you use an 18500 it will definitely be plenty of room.

Xwing...AAA will not fit in the side cut out but I am not sure what you had in mind (in a circle pack or something in the neck area?).

I am going to probably go with a single 18500 since my friend is not worried about long run time.  Actually I say I but I am not going to do the install.  I am just going to let him do it with the help of my tools and guidance.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 04:53:29 PM by CHEWBACCA »

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 06:39:21 PM »
If you use an 18650 the battery will be right up against the LED holder.  I put a piece of 3m foam tape on top of the battery (to insulate it just for trial purposes) and with that the LED holder was flush with the top of the neck (where its unscrewed).  You can push it up the throat a little and it will be fine.  The only drawback is the LED holder is a little loose in there but I figure I can shim it up a little with some thin copper I have to make it sit with a set screw better and not be crooked.  If you use an 18500 it will definitely be plenty of room.

I am going to probably go with a single 18500 since my friend is not worried about long run time.  Actually I say I but I am not going to do the install.  I am just going to let him do it with the help of my tools and guidance.

Thanks, that gives me a lot to think about! I prefer the Keepower batteries as they have been very reliable for me and have a high cut-off. That has me conflicted since the 18500 has 1700mAh vs the 18650's 3500. Halving the run-time is a hard pill to swallow. I was thinking of making this my trooping saber instead of installing and flipping it. Not sure what direction I'll choose now. LEDs get awfully hot and putting an 18650 right under the heatsink, even with some insulation, definitely is a concern for me if I'm trooping and running it for long periods of time

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 06:44:21 PM »
Well with the way it is made you can always put the battery on a quick connect. That way you can carry multiple 18500s with you and when one runs down you can unscrew the emitter, move the led out of the way and swap batteries.

Offline The Force Is Strong

• Force User
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 03:38:51 AM »
I am by no means an installer, but does anyone think that the way the shroud exposes the side of the hilt, that this sets up nice for a chassis with a crystal reveal near the middle section of the saber?

Offline IceSaber

• Experienced Force User
  • Midi-chlorians..
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 04:28:00 AM »
I'm curious why Khal isn't one of the registered sabersmiths here yet. I'm thinking of asking if he will do some work for me in the future (being UK based) but he can't get access to Crystal Shard boards as a result.

Offline xwingband

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 05:03:10 AM »
Xwing...AAA will not fit in the side cut out but I am not sure what you had in mind (in a circle pack or something in the neck area?).

Well then that won't work if you can't slide in a AAA... I was thinking if you could get 2 side by side that you could do 4 in the slot and the remaining 3 at the neck.  7AAA can be done in a hexagon (one in center, so a 2x3x2 stack) but you need 1-1/4" ID to do that and I don't think with the switch recess you could do it.  I'm just trying to advocate for 8.4V solutions where they fit because I know some people are probably starting with their LEDs in direct drive because they don't have enough voltage to run the two dies properly.

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 05:24:33 AM »
That is a question you should probably ask khal in private and not an open question on the board.

Being a smith here has nothing to do with the ability to get a CS. Erv chooses his affiliates and it is not based on being a smith here (there are a few that are not).

He is not allowed to take "commissions" on this forum anyway because he is not an MC member or GUILD member. Those are the rules of this forum. I may be wrong but I do not think Khal has even applied to become a MC member either at least not recently. Again though even if he does pass and become an MC member it does not give him access to the CS.   There are several MC members here that do not have access to the CS.

I hope that explains it for you.

I'm curious why Khal isn't one of the registered sabersmiths here yet. I'm thinking of asking if he will do some work for me in the future (being UK based) but he can't get access to Crystal Shard boards as a result.

Offline IceSaber

• Experienced Force User
  • Midi-chlorians..
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 06:19:28 AM »
I see, I apologise for posting that here. I asked him about it once in passing over facebook and just noticed this thread. I've been following his work recently and he does a great job from what I can tell. I would have thought he'd have more of a presence on here thats all.

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 10:26:17 AM »
Gotta agree on the quality of this thing Michael. I was comparing to my MR LE, and the pommel is the only thing different aside from the one cut just above the switch ring. Otherwise about identical.

I too, need to nerd out on screen caps now.

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

retrousse