fiduciary

Author Topic: D23 TROS trailer - Rey's NEW lightsaber? Or is it?  (Read 3680 times)

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
D23 TROS trailer - Rey's NEW lightsaber? Or is it?
« on: August 26, 2019, 11:08:24 PM »
Well it's only a couple seconds but I have...not necessarily "a bad feeling about this" but definitely mixed feelings.

On the one hand I have hoped we'd get a NEW lightsaber...ideally a new lightsaber type...somewhere in the final sequel movie, so maybe this should make me feel happy on that account...

...but on the other hand I don't really want the sequels to end with Rey becoming 'new Vader' or 'joining Kylo/Palpatine in the Dark Side' either; subverting the core Redemption theme basic to Star Wars that way would just be the final straw to many original fans imo...please Jar Jar Abrams just DON'T.

And frankly its not really that original a design to anyone who watched the Clone Wars...a red 'Pong Krell-esque' folding saberstaff 'loox kewl duudz' but I'd hoped for something...more unique.

Though given JJs inclination for misdirection in trailers I'm not convinced that scene really means much. Maybe its just a 'vision of what might be/have been' like Luke's in the cave on Dagobah? Hmmm...
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
Re: D23 TROS trailer - Rey's NEW lightsaber? Or is it?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 05:28:57 AM »
I don't mind the saber at all. I actually dig it. And as you mentioned, nothing new.

As for Rey's fate, I strongly think it's either a vision, warning during training/trial, or a clone. I can't really see Lucasfilm/Disney turning Rey. She is a hero symbol for many young girls.

That said, I truly was hoping Rey would build herself a staff saber. It seemed like a no-brainer when they introduced her with the junk staff on Jakku and showed off her fighting style. And I thought that's what the destroyed Graflex was setting up.

All in all, I'm excited for the last movie. I've been excited for them all. Do I like all of the movies and the directions they took, nah. But as a whole, it will always be my favorite franchise of all time.

Offline Brad1981

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 05:51:16 AM »
I'm a sucker for nostalgia so seeing all of the other films shown, in the order it was released, pays homage to the films that came before...it just felt right and I gotta say was beautifully done.  I was expecting a behind the scenes sizzle reel and this was way more unexpected.

I'm looking forward to seeing the role Palpatine plays in the sequel trilogy and what that means, specifically for Rey.  Palpatine was a master tactician so him have a contingency plan and a contingency to the contingency plan seems to be in his wheelhouse.  I'm also hoping for a clarification to Rey's lineage as indicated in the cave of Ach-To.  In the cave she says, "let me see my parents...please " and is shown only her reflection.  Is it possible to be both a Skywalker and a nobody?  Yes, it's already Canon that Palpatine manipulated the Midi-chlorians inside of Shmi’s womb to create Anakin. So if Palpatine somehow manipulated Midi-chlorians from the unknown territories to create life using some, I don't know, DNA from Anakin with an unsuspecting host who was promptly smuggled away at birth/little girl, then it's possible that Rey is both a nobody with no parent and a Skywalker.  That's my theory anyway...and I'm sticking to it!

I really enjoyed her training in the forest with the training Droid and getting irritated in what appears to be a perfect scene for Luke to make his presence.

Evil Rey looked dope and I can already envision the artists on this site putting together the schematics for that saber.  I look forward to seeing that run!

I think ultimately JJ will have written a film that explains the majority of the questions we had after TLJ and will potentially make that film a more enjoyable experience.  Don't get me wrong, I like TLJ, but it asked more questions that it answered so it felt a bit...unnerving. 

Offline Cad-Bayne

• Formerly known as Bayne-Fett
  • Master Force User
  • "Dead or Alive, you’re worth Credits to me"
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 02:00:52 PM »
I don’t think that is Rey, it’s another actress that is being introduced into the movie. So with that possibility there is a chance that its Rey’s mother.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 02:48:44 PM »
See, that's what I thought at first, "oh that must be Keri Russell's character." 

Then I looked at them side by side - it's Daisy (it's the nose that cinched it).  She's just wearing really heavy makeup around her eyes, mouth and specifically cheek-bones.

Edit: eyebrows too, dead-on-Daisy ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 02:50:24 PM by eastern57 »

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 03:01:43 PM »
I'm pumped for the movie. :huh:

Offline Brad1981

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 03:23:09 PM »
I think starwars.com more or less confirmed it is Rey, although the idea this is her mom would have been a rad idea:

"Following a striking montage of scenes clipped for the other saga films, the unmistakable voice of Mark Hamill could be heard over the new scenes. “We’ve passed on all we know. A thousand generations live in you now. But this is your fight.” The wise words were also part of the first trailer for the film, but the new footage, including a moment where Rey appears to toss a fully-ignited lightsaber, and of course the sight of Rey with a reticulated red blade, was nothing short of thrilling."

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 04:26:46 PM »
See, that's what I thought at first, "oh that must be Keri Russell's character." 

Then I looked at them side by side - it's Daisy (it's the nose that cinched it).  She's just wearing really heavy makeup around her eyes, mouth and specifically cheek-bones.

Edit: eyebrows too, dead-on-Daisy ;)

It's 100% Daisy. In addition to what you said, I'm sure post production is not finished and this very well could be still undergoing edits. They may have done some lighting and efx that they still need to refine but found it suitable for 3 seconds of a "trailer."

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 12:28:33 AM »
It seems that starwars.com originally said "the vision of Rey with a reticulated red blade" but when some fans noticed they changed it to "the sight of" to remove the word "vision"...hmmmmmmmm...
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 04:38:58 AM »
Putting all the fanboy speculation aside for a minute, I for one was very glad to see a new lightsaber. I will never fully understand the Sequel Trilogy's obsession with the Graflex. I'd hoped that it snapping in half would lead to Rey wielding something new, rather than space-duck taping it back together, but nope. Oh well.

At this point, any new sabers, I will be happy happy with. Even if it's only something that gets half a second's screen time, in a vision, in a dream, in a parallel multiverse, that goes about annoying all the fanboys and their "rules" or however they go about doing it. New sabers are something I'm happy with.
Better late than never.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 09:24:28 AM »
Yeah I was hoping she'd replace rather than repair the Graflex too. I guess this "vision/dream/parallel multiverse" or whatever means that 'somewhere' she did/will?

I still hope for more new lightsabers too...maybe from Knights of Ren? More lightsabers is always good, new lightsabers is even better...even with 'implications' like this one.

Offline Darkjedi

• Master Force User
  • I love Star Wars so much ,I married her!
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 05:21:55 PM »
Yeah ..”vision” :rolleyes:

I just want new ideas for hilts too!

It was an exciting trailer and thought it nice to honor what came before.

Offline Megtooth Sith

• No Force
  • Having fun learning the hobby.
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 08:34:23 PM »
I thought Rey should have had a staff.  Not sure if this is a saber or a vision of a path for her that she has to steer away from.  New saber is ok.  Still hoping Kylo takes em all out in a fit of rage ;)  Maybe we'll get a few more new hilts from the KOR scene that is coming too? 

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 07:54:57 PM »
Talked about this thread and this topic on YouTube it was a fun time:

SABER TALK LIVE: Lightsaber State of the Union - YouTube

retrousse