fiduciary

Author Topic: Batteries - Li-Ion/IMR - Does Proximity Matter?  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Ridire Fíréan

• Force User
  • Up&down&around the bend a Jedi's story never ends
Batteries - Li-Ion/IMR - Does Proximity Matter?
« on: January 18, 2017, 11:40:07 PM »
Hey Saber Gurus!

When installing batteries, specifically a pair of Li-Ion/IMR, does their proximity to one another matter? 

I'm faced with a very small amount of room inside a Roman's Props Obi-Wan MK3 FX Lightsaber and one consideration is to place one battery beneath the GRAFLEX Clamp section, and another further aft in the Booster section.  Do batteries prefer to be "short-wired" (i.e. side by side or end to end) vs having a couple of inches of wire between them?

Mounting them in two different locations will allow the use of a thicker Bass Speaker and a longer sound card like a Crystal Focus-LS v6.5.  Most of the Obi-Wan lightsabers I've seen have both batteries side by side in custom clamp sections (which I don't have the tools for) or a single larger battery like an 18650 or two 16340's end to end in the booster/pommel section of the hilt.  Both of those later options would negate the use of a longer sound card and would eliminate many of the features I hope to include in my saber.

If anyone has any advice on the pros and cons of "long-wiring" batteries, or pictures of how such installs were accomplished, I'd appreciate you sharing them here!

retrousse