fiduciary

Author Topic: How to get the brightest and best red  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Chadm

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
How to get the brightest and best red
« on: January 29, 2019, 10:35:28 PM »
Hello all,

I got into the saber scene a few years ago and I know this sounds a bit silly but ever since learning about the visible light spectrum and photon blades, I have felt like the red sabers get the short end of the stick. When you look at how much brighter a neopixel photon blade is it sometimes feels like a red lightsaber can't compare.

I am looking for advice or testimonials on amazing red sabers.

I would like to find a way to build a dedicated red saber that will be bright enough to not just look pinkish white when at a con or in moderately  lighted settings.

If I can figure something out I would really like to compile some knowledge and create a photo documented guide for getting the brightest red saber.

Any thoughts?

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: How to get the brightest and best red
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 06:20:52 AM »
Beyond being as bright as possible, do you care about anything else? Does this saber include the use of a soundboard? Do you want it to have effects? Or will it just be a battery pack pumping power into red LEDs?

You are probably going to want an enhanced red blade. The red LEDs won't interact with it, but it will catch and diffuse the light to squeeze out every last bit, and it will catch and convert the intense blue light at cons and out doors.

Offline Chadm

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 08:03:29 AM »
That sounds pretty good. I didn't know the red fluorescent blades absorbed blue light as well but it makes sense. Generally I always use soundboards. I am also curious about how much current a red tri cree xpe2 can handle or if there is a better choice now. Perhaps  besides neopixel?

Thanks

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 01:07:13 PM »
That will be your best bet for a fancy flashlight style saber. 1A per LED. You might find a quad. Just keep in mind there is diminishing returns for each additional LED. It will be brighter, but not as much of a difference as going from 1 to 2, or 2 to 3.

retrousse