fiduciary

Author Topic: Jar Jar Binks  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Silas_Ryder

• Force User
  • Peace and Glory
Jar Jar Binks
« on: October 14, 2014, 03:08:23 AM »
This name has been spoken by many, more good than bad.

Alot of people wished he had never been invented, but, Jar Jar was a pivotal character in the PT. Although he was rarely seen in ROTS, he had a big part to play in AOTC with just a small scene.

In order for Palpatine to gain full control and power in the Senate, he needed somebody to convince the other Senators that something needed to be done to stop the Separatists.
Due to Senator Amidala being in hiding and unable to act (Although she was against the movement of an army) he knew that with Jar Jar taking over her responsibilities, and to him not being very bright, he could convince him to help. He used a sympathetic technique in his presence to convince him to stand by the Chancellor in his time of need. Leading to Binks asking for 'Immediately emergency powers, to the Supreme Chancellor'

Binks did this as he thought that is what Padme would have done had she been there.

This is all my thinking and i'm not a Jar Jar hater, i'm glad he was in the movies and he wasn't just another irrelevant character. Yes he was really stupid and he was there for the kids, but in AOTC he is the innocent pawn in the game of a Dark Lord.

Hope you enjoyed reading my take on the story :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 04:23:32 AM by Silas_Ryder »

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
Re: Jar Jar Binks
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 09:13:22 AM »
jar jar is to padme, as dooku is to Qui-gon. 

jar jar serves the SAME dramatic purpose as Count Dooku.   

he is absolutely necessary to the story.

follow:

episode 1: introduce 2 noble concepts via 2 sympathetic protagonists:
- TPM give us "padme's militarization" of naboo.  she made the decision to use the Gungan Army, to defend her people from battle droids.  jar jar is the ONLY person in the room, when she makes this decision.(jar jar says "my people's got a Grande Army" and a lightbulb goes off in her head).
- TPM also gave us "qui-gon's Defiance" (yoda's words).   the idea that you shouldn't ALWAYS listen to the voice of authority. sometimes you just need to (follow the will of the force and) "Do The Right Thing".
--> the audience agrees ,with BOTH of these noble concepts.

episode 2: push these 2 noble concepts down the Slippery Slope, via 2 UNsympathetic characters:
- jar jar is universally hated (because he's jar jar).  he takes "padme's militarization" to the Next Level. he makes the decision to use militarization, on a galactic scale.  he makes the decision to use the "Grande Army" of the republic. he does this because he is asked "what would amidala do", and he remembers EXACTLY what she did in TPM.  she used the Grande Army. ((unfortunately, padme does NOT agree this time, because of the Slippery Slope)).
- dooku is universally hated (because he's Count Freaking Dracula).  he takes "qui-gon's defiance" to the NExt Level.  dooku makes the decision to Defy the jedi order, on a galactic scale. he does this because he's angry that the Jedi have allowed the sith to return, and now, qui-gon is dead.  he understands, like qui-gon did, that sometimes you need to defy authority -- he is doing EXACTLY what qui-gon did in TPM.  ((unfortunately, qui-gon would NOT agree this time, because of the slippery slope)).
-->the audience does NOT agree, with EITHER of these concepts.

episode 3:  make anakin choose:
- anakin chooses "padme's militarization" AND he loses her, BECAUSE of the slippery slope.  he burns-to-Vader ON a "slippery slope" (poetic imagery).  this leads to the creation of the Empire.
- the rest of the jedi order (yoda and obiwan) are now forced to adopt the other position: now THEY are the ones who will "Defy authority", in order to do the "right thing". they adopt qui-gon as their master.  this leads to the creation of the Rebellion.

the Prequel Trilogy is an Origin Story:  it tells us the origin of the Empire AND the rebellion.
--->  The Phantom Menace is (arguably) the most important episode of the arc.  why?  because it lays the groundwork for the creation of BOTH the Empire, and the Rebellion: they are both rooted in noble concepts.
--->  jar jar and dooku are (arguably) the most important characters of the arc.  why?  because they represent the application of the Slippery Slope.  in fact, these 2 characters ARE the slippery slope.. 

..and that's the whole point of the trilogy.

if it weren't for the "slippery slope" then anakin would not have become vader.
if it weren't for the "slippery slope" then padme would not have created the empire. (SHE thought it up.  "militarization" was HER idea). 
if it weren;t for the "slippery slope" then qui-gon would not hace created the rebellion. (HE thought it up.  "Defiance" of authority was HIS idea).

(( jar jar IS the slippery slope  :o  without him, there is NO trilogy))
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:00:42 AM by WEDGE ANTILLES »
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline mattattack07

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 01:36:20 PM »
Jar Jar was just so stupid and useless during the prequels and that's why I don't like him. I understand that he's the main reason Palpatine was able to get the emergency powers in episode 2, which I feel like was more dumb luck that actual planning on Palpatine's part. I don't fully agree with WEDGE ANTILLES's comments, but I do understand the lines of logic, something most fans who hate the Prequels don't use. My thing about Jar Jar is that we could have had anyone else end up in the same position who was more liked or not fully used in the Prequels (my thinking would be Bail Organa just because it would give him reason to form the Rebellion/ be a key member in it's formation.)

Offline keledi

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 08:26:38 PM »
Jar Jar was just so stupid and useless during the prequels and that's why I don't like him. I understand that he's the main reason Palpatine was able to get the emergency powers in episode 2, which I feel like was more dumb luck that actual planning on Palpatine's part. I don't fully agree with WEDGE ANTILLES's comments, but I do understand the lines of logic, something most fans who hate the Prequels don't use. My thing about Jar Jar is that we could have had anyone else end up in the same position who was more liked or not fully used in the Prequels (my thinking would be Bail Organa just because it would give him reason to form the Rebellion/ be a key member in it's formation.)
I don't agree. Anybody else would have not been as easy to manipulate that obviously. It had already been established how dumb JarJar is, so he was the perfect candidate. If they put Organa in there, that would have really hurt his character to make him dumber and more gullible than he really was.

Offline Choos

• Padawan Learner
  • Yep new
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 05:09:01 AM »
Think of the children! At least George Lucas did and it seemed to have worked out for Binks.

Just rewatched Ep1 and still found Jar Jar very annoying (not wreck film annoying) but be it in the prequals or Clone Wars the series Jar Jar is a grit teeth horrid character but sure is a pivotal pawn for those dirty little midichlorians to push around.

retrousse