fiduciary

Author Topic: What to do, what to do...  (Read 2767 times)

Offline SpaceGhost2K

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
What to do, what to do...
« on: August 09, 2006, 01:44:10 AM »
Hi, all.

I just tried to buy a DM dbl bladed saber from www.sphiatt.com. I've bought DVD's from him before with no problem, bu this time I got stiffed. I had to go to PayPal before I got my $$$ back. So, just right now, I ordered another from a different seller. It should be here in a couple of days.

There seem to be two conversion groups listed on eBay: Ionsabers and Ultrasabers. And, apparently, that DV USA moron you guys hung in effegy in another thread.

Now I've been reading about Hyperdyne's upgrade. Now honestly, I don't care HOW he does it. They just look good.

Here's the deal: I'm not using my Darth Maul Master Replica's FX Double Bladed Lightsaber to duel with.

I'm using it for a curtain rod.

Honest.

I haven't read too much on here about Ionsabers, but everything I've read speaks very highly about Ultrasabers. I have already talked to them, explained the curtain thing, and they're discussing the idea of adding a jack so I can run the sabers on house current. They're great guys and at the top of my list.

However...

Those HyperDyne sabers are gorgeous. And I think I read that the battery pack inside is rechargeable, AND that it already comes with a jack installed for recharging the battery pack. Problem solved, as long as constant connection to house current isn't going to blow up the battery pack.

I tried to go to HyperDyne's website and I couldn't get it to load, so my main questions remain unanswered: Does he do the upgrade or do I, and how much does it cost? Also, what kind of a warranty does he offer, because Ultra's warranty is unbeatable.

I'm building a house that will be done in two months. One bedroom will be the game and entertainment room. I was an Xbox rep for a year and a half, and it's killing me that I can't play Oblivion for two more months. Anyway, the room will have a futon that is Jabba's throne, a gigantic Jabba bean bag chair, a movie projector stuck inside a Gonk droid (easier to make homemade than Artoo), Han in Carbonite backlit in red in an alcove, two suns (light globes) in the Tatooine sky (painted on the ceiling). I neded the curtains to block out all light, so I'm making Darth Maul curtains: a pleated black undercurtain with a black linen outercurtain held back with silver clips like Maul's wristbands, and the double bladed saber mounted horizontally over the actual curtain rods. The charging jack is a lifesaver so I won't hae to replace batteries every other day.

I am content with Ultra's sabers, friendliness and warranty. I'd just like to know what HD has to offer in comparison.

Offline Jaden Korr

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
Re: What to do, what to do...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 06:39:18 AM »
Well that does sound like a fun room.

As for Hyperdyne, his product is great now doubts there, its just expensive especially for what you wanna use it for. i have seen on average his stuff go for 350 USD. And thats for a single blade and minimum upgrades, if you go all out you would be pushin over 400 per blade so you would be lookin at no less tha 700 for a double Maul. Personally for you getting the double Maul id do Ultrasabers. Everyone i have heard from that got the Ultra Maul conversion is very happy.

And as for Ionsaber, i have not heard anything good about them. And ttheir history with some of our members is very rough, we do not endorse em here for such reasons, here is a review of the FX-sabers Luke ESb Graflex luxeon done by GanJahMan, he talked about his experience with Ionsabers.

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=4699.0

That should do it, hope i helped. And welcome to the forum.

Offline JediKnightGuy82

• Experienced Force User
  • Alfs of the Old Republic?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 09:55:32 AM »
Sounds like an awesome room! Someday when I own a house, I hope to have a room like that! Ultrasabers is definitely pretty awesome and you should go with him.

Offline SpaceGhost2K

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 05:08:46 PM »
It's settled, then. HyperDyne is off the hook, but too rich for my blood. I'll stick with Ultrasabers. Thanks :)

Offline Jaden Korr

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 05:11:07 PM »
no problem, glad to be of help.  8)

Offline Gnosis

• Formerly known as Gnosis
  • Master Force User
  • The Bird King of La Mancha
    • This week in geek
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 05:13:32 PM »
You will not be disapointed :)

"It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force... but by our skills with a lightsaber. "
Count Dooku

Sith Lord Adminstrator
countdooku@fx-sabers.com

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 05:30:11 PM »
Just a tip for the future... never, ever order something from SPHiatt. They are worst people I have ever dealt with on Ebay. My emails were never returned when I had pricing questions and issues with my invoice. I eventually had to call to get things straightened out. Everything worked out in the end, but it was a long, bad Ebay experience.
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ANH with Removable Blade
Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS with Removable Blade
Darth Maul TPM with Removable Blade
Kit Fisto AOTC with Removable Blade
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline SAESEE TIIN

• Formerly known as Lazbum
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I wish I had quotes as cool as Admiral Ackbar!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 06:04:46 PM »
Same here, sphiatt may have decent deals but it might not be worth it to some to go through all the hassle aayla mentioned.  I think it took the guy 2 months to send me my fx saber last summer.

Thanks to Darth Nerdold for the sig!
Proud Owner of a Graflex V from Yoda!

Offline SpaceGhost2K

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 05:07:57 PM »

Here's a picture of my former gameroom. My wife and I separated in February (Valentine's Day - don't ask). The posters are long gone and we use a projector to play video games on the wall. It comes out to about 12 ft. diagonal. The Star Wars ships have been removed from the ceiling and are in storage. No idea what I'm going to do with them after I move. I have no room. I already sold off the 6.5 ft. Naboo fighter. I paid $40 for it, kept it for a couple of years, and sold it for $250. :)

The rest of the gameroom is still intact and my kids are still enjoying it. My new room will rock, too. It's just going to be 1/4 of the size of a garage. :(

I have some other pictures I'm dying to post for you, but I have to scan them in first. Look for them in the Costume thread.

OK, new question time.... I described the curtains. I'm mounting the DM saber above them. Ultrasabers is supposed to be figuring out the logistics of adding a jack so I can power them both off of an AC-to-DC adapter. My saber is on a UPS truck somewhere here in town and should be in my hands within the hour.

I bought a couple of curtain rod supports for mounting the saber horizontally above the curtains. Now I'm reading warnings about mounting them horizontally, as that will allow the blades to warp over time. My plan was to put the mounting brackets just far enough apart that the hilt would fit berteen them, and the blade would be resting on them as close to the hilt as I could get. That would put the least stress on the hilt/blade joint. Now I'm thinking I better buy two more to put at the ends of the blades... OR... I could use the small brackets to place at the tips, and get two larger brackets to actually place under the hilt.

Suggestions?

OR... is there someone who carries mounting hardware that is designed to fit the saber?

(Here's a link to the full size photo above: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b37/SpaceGhost2K/91b18416.jpg )
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 05:35:46 PM by SpaceGhost2K »

Offline SpaceGhost2K

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 07:23:10 PM »
OKAY! The DM Dbl saber is in hand, and it ROCKS. However, it took me about three minutes to discover a problem.

The coupler that attached the two halves of the saber doesn't screw in far enough to line up the knobs on the sabers. They're about 1/6th of a turn off. Any suggestions? (**EDIT** Guess what... the instructions explain this, so... never mind :)

Also, using this as a "curtain rod",  I need to install a switch so I can turn off the sound.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 07:26:45 PM by SpaceGhost2K »

Offline SpaceGhost2K

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 08:28:26 PM »
Wow! I'm learning so much! (Not from you guys, though. Nobody's replying to my thread. :) )

I solved the horizontal mounting problem, too. The stands for the saber can be mounted to the wall. Boo-yah.

Offline ryanlb

• Experienced Force User
    • A Clone's Paradise
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 10:39:14 AM »
Same here, sphiatt may have decent deals but it might not be worth it to some to go through all the hassle aayla mentioned.  I think it took the guy 2 months to send me my fx saber last summer.

I've only ordered from sphiatt once, and I got my stuff quick enough, as I recall, with no problems.  But then again, it also seems like I'm in the same state as him.

Offline darthmaddy

• formerly known as Darth Malak
  • Master Force User
  • BATMAUL
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 07:57:46 PM »
Get that stuff up in the costume thread!  Looks like a good place you have there for some system link Halo.
I'm not wearing hockey pads.

Offline Guardian Sokchux

• No Force
  • My Initiate beat up your FX.
    • Ultra Sabers
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 07:03:53 PM »
Hey SpaceGhost2K - I believe I have the answer to your requirements. I've been working on a light stand for a local merchant and although it's a bit different than what you're looking for, with a few modifications, it can be exactly what you're looking for. =)

I will fire it up for the first time tomorrow morning. It's a Luke Skywalker Luxeon V lightsaber window stand in Consular Green. It almost hurts to look at it... ha ha ha

We're a little sidetracked right now with a ton of orders going to DragonCon next week, but I believe we can get you exactly what you're looking for in the Darth Maul project.
Todd "Guardian Sokchux" Clay
Ultra Sabers
1440 W Houston Ave #8
Gilbert, AZ  85233
http://www.ultrasabers.com

retrousse