fiduciary

Author Topic: My Obi-Wan Styled Saber Being Built By Judge Sabersmith!!  (Read 18098 times)

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
Re: My Obi-Wan Styled Saber Being Built By Judge Sabersmith!!
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 07:56:27 PM »
Just looking at it it seems like the perfect size and well proportioned.  And looks like you should have plenty of room for extras and upgrades when technology changes.  And the battery space, man I am jealous as my graflex will only last about 45-60 minutes with a lux v.

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 04:37:58 AM »
I know, that run time is gonna be SICK!!

The way Erv's V2.1 is set up is that it can house up to 4 different sound sets that I can change anytime I want. I can have Luke ROTJ, Vader ESB, Obi-Wan ROTS, and whatever else, or....I can mix the sounds up any way I want.

Like a Vader ESB start up, Luke ROTJ idle hum, Obi-Wan ROTS shut down for example. The possibilites are mind blowing. :o

-Joclad

You'll have to tell us how user friendly the set-up and software is for the system Master Joclad.
We haven't had much in-put on the end user side of it beyond erv's demos.

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 06:37:42 AM »
In order for me to give a review on how to change the sounds on the SD card, I will need to get a SD card reader. Once I do that, I can let everyone know how to mix and match the sounds. ;)

-Joclad

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline trexy

• General of the Old Republic
  • Master Force User
  • At last we will have revenge!
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2007, 07:07:20 AM »
In order for me to give a review on how to change the sounds on the SD card, I will need to get a SD card reader. Once I do that, I can let everyone know how to mix and match the sounds. ;)

-Joclad

In what format are the sounds going to be ? mp3?

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2007, 08:19:46 AM »
Joclad what are your plans for sound holes?  It would be a shame to make the armitage shank look like a salt shaker.  I love that armitage look i may have to incorporate it in my custom.

Man, I am almost as excited as you over that saber.  I can't wait to see your review. 

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2007, 08:28:16 AM »
That I'm not sure of...I will have to ask Erv about that. I doubt that I will be messing with the sound files since there's room for 4 separate sound banks...that's 3 more choices than anything currently available.

@ TK-421 : There are going to be vents for the speaker inbetween the 1/8 gap between the handwheel pommel and booster section. I don't think that he's gonna make the backside of the handwheel look like a salt shaker, lol.

-Joclad

10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline JudgeSabersmith

• Kind of on haitus
  • Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 04:22:49 PM »
Let me take the time to quell some of the rampant questions about this saber.  First, no, I am not going to let the rear of the pommel look like a salt shaker.  No way.  I will probably remove the top of the handwheel like I did on my last saber of this design, which will let sound out, and it happens to look nice as well.

As for the recharge port, I am still undecided, but it will either go in the same place as the last saber, or it might be in the middle of the pommel where the star-shaped depression is.  Either will work nice, but it would be easier to install in the pommel.  It all depends on the ability to easily take the saber apart to access the SD card should Joclad tire of the sounds and want to change them.

As for the sounds, they are 16-bit sounds in .RAW format.  They are very clean and nice.  Mixing your own sounds is very difficult, so I will most likely not design my own soundfont for this saber, although I want to.  The SD card comes with 4 distinct soundfonts already, and all of them kick a$$.  I would personally look to Erv's site for downloadable soundfonts, since they are already checked out by him and are good to go.  Then, it's a simple "drag and drop" to replace the existing ones.  All the documentation for the board will ship with the saber.

Erv's board can drive an LED array in distinct patterns, but since the LED array is one of Corbin's, it will serve only as a battery indicator, unless Jocald wants me to bypass the Corbin LED on-board processor.  That might be tricky.  Having a static LED array showing how much charge the battery pack is still enough "bling", IMHO.

Keep the questions coming.  If I don't answer them here, I will answer them in another installment of my build log on MySpace, or on YouTube.  By the way, can YouTube accept .mov files?  Anyone know?   

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2007, 04:35:49 PM »
Thanks for stopping by and answering some of the questions. ;)

Yes, I too think that the battery indicator will be enough "bling" for this saber. It also helps make this saber more unique as well as help personalize it as being mine.

To be honest, I don't see myself getting bored with the 4 different sound fonts anytime soon as there's 3 more choices than I am used to having on my sabers to begin with. :P

This saber is going to rock and I eagerly await the next part of the build log. 8)

-Joclad

Offline JudgeSabersmith

• Kind of on haitus
  • Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2007, 05:49:52 PM »
YouTube video up, if you're interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jucLbZg5EOU

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2007, 06:42:06 PM »
Wow...that's awesome, thanks for uploading that! :o

-Joclad

Offline HAN SOLO

• Jedi/Alliance General aka FX-Sabers' "The Most Interesting Scoundrel"
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Meet my business parter. His name is DL-44.
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2007, 06:59:53 PM »
*In the words of Dajo Ben Griffin*

Holy Freakin Crap! That's S-W-E-E-T! 8)

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2007, 08:55:26 PM »
no, I am not going to let the rear of the pommel look like a salt shaker.  No way.  I will probably remove the top of the handwheel like I did on my last saber of this design, which will let sound out, and it happens to look nice as well.  

Just saw your armitage on your website with the top removed.  Man does that look great.  It even remotely looks like the Empire logo. Ok maybe just a little but it is similar and looks better than with it on with the big A.  I haven't been on your site in awhile, I had forgotten what nice work you do.  Good luck with the GUILD.

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2007, 06:09:52 PM »
By an interesting twist of fate, this saber will now be using a Green Luxeon V rather than the K2 LED that was going to be used. It seems that Judge Sabersmith's provider is out of K2's but has the Green Luxeon V's in stock so he's ordered that instead.

It will be interesting to see just how bright this saber turns out to be with the Luxeon V in it. 8)

-Joclad

Offline robiwan

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2007, 06:50:39 PM »
Well, I'll tell ya, it'll be bright. I have a bin 4 (green) cyan 5watter and at just 6v it lights up the room like daylight!
Disrespectful and Condescending to Staff.

Offline BIGGS DARKLIGHTER

• Formerly known as Heimidal
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Red 3 Standing By
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2007, 07:00:41 PM »
Just watched the video. Really great idea for video blogs. Very cool.

retrousse