fiduciary

Author Topic: New to saber building , any help greatly appreciated  (Read 806 times)

Offline Baldon

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
New to saber building , any help greatly appreciated
« on: February 17, 2019, 03:52:29 PM »
Hello all
I know this topic probably has been posted for but I didnt find anything searching.

What I would like to do is modify a stunt saber I have. I am not ready to fully mod the hilt itself but want to change out the electronics.

What I would like to do is use a cree xml rgbw led with a crystal focus saber core v9.0 and using 1 or possibly 2 18650 in parallel.
I am having a hard time finding a collimator and lens.
Is there anything else needed part wise (other than switches)
Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 04:07:06 PM by Baldon »

Offline Yaraell_Ren

• Force User
  • Listen Yaddle, I'm gonna need to borrow your car!
Re: New to saber building , any help greatly appreciated
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 09:12:03 PM »
Welcome! If you are new to electronics, I would suggest you to contact Saber Guild or Mining Colony members for electronic conversions

Offline Baldon

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 10:00:30 PM »
Not new to electronics , just new to the saber building side. Used to build and race rc cars years ago lol

Offline Chadm

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 04:28:56 PM »
These sound like parts you could buy at the custom saber shop. If you are using an 18650 then you will just want the resistor values needed for each die of your RGB star and of course the latching switch.

Have you thought about adding a soundboard? the components are somewhat different and more complicated if you want sound and led driver effects.

I hope that helps

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 02:28:47 AM »
Well you say you want to upgrade from a stunt to a Crystal Focus v9 soundboard so in that case you will also certainly need a speaker to let the sound out eh?

An internal chassis of some kind, either rod and disks or 3d printed, is strongly recommended to protect delicate components like soundboards if you plan on dueling.

If you intend using a fixed battery solution you'll also need a recharge port and charger with matching plug, though not if you are using a removable battery holder instead.

Note that Crystal Focus boards can be set to reuse your present stunt latching switch for activation but you'll also want to add a momentary switch for auxiliary functions like blaster block fx, voice menus etc

Wire and heatshrink are required of course and an ESD-safe soldering iron is preferable for wiring boards...esp expensive ones like CF.

As Chadm notes The Custom Saber Shop has a wide selection of most of the parts you'll need including chassis disks (3d printed ones are available from Shapeways and you'll need to find optics for that particular LED which I'm not familiar with elsewhere) and also many useful DIY sabersmithing tutorials on the TCSS forums.

Welcome, Good Luck with your build and MTFBWY.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 02:38:57 AM by Onli-Won Kanomi »
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

retrousse