fiduciary

Author Topic: Neopixel Leather Wrap Lightsaber (3rd in a series of 4 Leather Wrapped Designs)  (Read 2427 times)

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
LeatherWrapSam18 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr

Hey there Saber Friends!

For the third lightsaber in my series of four leather wrapped designs, I started out with these bare MHS parts and piece of pipe for the handle:

LeatherWrapSam01 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr

I added a shroud as a collar which holds the MHS parts to the pipe section at the choke. The buttons, recharge port, and a small strip of accent pixel LEDs are housed in the choke section.

I wanted this one to have dark colored leather as seen first on my Dark Revan saber and then on Paul's lightsaber... but for this one I had the idea for heavy weathering in the Luke V2 style. Here are some pics with the leather wrap tacked on temporarily:

LeatherWrapSam04 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr LeatherWrapSam02 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr LeatherWrapSam05 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr

LeatherWrapSam06 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr   LeatherWrapSam07 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr

Next came the installation of the Prizm V5.1 electronics. Lots of wires to connect at the bottom!

LeatherWrapSam08 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr

And this is right before I heat-shrinked some protective film around the board:

LeatherWrapSam09 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr   LeatherWrapSam10 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr

Did some testing at that stage before shrink-wrapping. Once everything was working well, I sealed the board.

Next, to make the blade of two strips of Adafruit Neopixel strips (skinny version), I sandwiched everything together and wrapped in 4 layers of shrink wrap for diffusion even at the first stage.

LeatherWrapSam11 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr

Next came Makoto foam, and a TCSS blade tube. This lightsaber actually has two blades,... an Enhanced Blue tubed blade and tip and a Photonic Green blade and tip. For the following photos, only the Enhanced Blue blade is pictured.

Here is the final lightsaber:

LeatherWrapSam12 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr  LeatherWrapSam13 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr

Notice the R.I.C.E. port 3.5mm connection at the pommel. No need to remove or unscrew anything... the pommel gives you access to the internal editor and the SD card itself.

Special attention was paid to the emitter weathering so the enamel looks blasted outwards as if the plasma blade had an outward heat radius:

LeatherWrapSam14 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr

Closeup of the Buttons and Recharge, and the R.I.C.E. port down at the bottom of the pommel:

LeatherWrapSam15 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr  LeatherWrapSam16 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr

Specs:

- Plecter Labs Prizm V5.1
- MHS parts and pipe
- Real leather wrap
- R.I.C.E. port in pommel
- 2.1mm in hilt recharge
- Main and aux buttons in choke
- 2 Neopixel blades, one in Photon Green and one in Enhanced Blue
- 3.7 High Capacity Orbtronic 26650 battery cell with protection circuit
- Easy SD access
- Neopixel accent strip mirrors blade, even with FOC

LeatherWrapSam17 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr   LeatherWrapSam18 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr   LeatherWrapSam19 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr

LeatherWrapSam20 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr   LeatherWrapSam21 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr   LeatherWrapSam22 by Anthony LaGaipa, on Flickr

Video:

Neopixel Lightsaber for Samuel - YouTube
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 12:40:42 PM by SpaceWindu »

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
Nicely done sir!

Offline Sawyer

• Padawan Learner
  • Hi there! Have you ever heard the tragedy of...
always a pleasure to see your work! :)

Offline LuxKota

• Padawan Learner
I always have a hard time with leather wrapping, but you did a great job!

retrousse